5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mobil 1 5w-20 has new MS-6395 approval ! ****** Maybe bad info- Updated*******

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone mentioned that Fiat had/has strong ties with Shell.

Shell acquired Pennzoil in 2002 and Fiat merged with Chrysler in 2014.

Could there also have been some corporate favoritism happening and Mobil got the short stick?

We need a winner button on this forum.
I'm sure you know that Mobil1 use to be the factory fill for Chrysler... until the merger with Fiat.

Cudapower

Reaction score
Yes Fiat has ties and partners with Shell in Europe. That is why they recommend Platinum. But the lag is all about money. Oil companies have to test and pay big bucks for that MS certification. Mobil was not willing to cough up the money in previous years but now they see the sales revenue.

Reaction score
I bought Mobil 1 EP 5w-20 from Walmart and found out about this problem with the certification while at work. I came home and looked at the back and the ms6395 certification is right there on the back. So now I'm confused, it's not on the website but it's on the container.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would not worry about the certification. I ran mobile one in my 1996 Ram 5.9 for 22 years and the truck is still running like it did when i bought it. My son in law is now restoring it for my grandson so it will probably be running around for another 20!

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought Mobil 1 EP 5w-20 from Walmart and found out about this problem with the certification while at work. I came home and looked at the back and the ms6395 certification is right there on the back. So now I'm confused, it's not on the website but it's on the container.

i was at "Costco".i was looking for motor oil.i found "Mobil1" and on the box it said the same thing... :unsure:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting...I’m seeing the same.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I read in previous posts, mobile 1 was not MS6395 certified at first but it just became certified recently. Maybe they just haven’t updated the website. Not that it matters but i just use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do believe that Amsoil is a very good oil but I also think it is over-hyped and overly expensive. I used to drink the Amsoil Kool-Aid many years ago and then determined that $23 for a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum at Walmart would have the same effect on my engine. They do have great marketing and the product is very good indeed. However, I do think it was way over priced based on the other excellent oil choices on the market today. To be fair, I haven't priced Amsoil in quite sometime so just guessing that it is still overly expensive as compared to PP, Mobil1, Valvoline and Castrol.

Runagun

Reaction score
Yeah, For a 68k+ truck. Im not going to be skimping on the oil. And that's even with havin lifetime warranty. I Plan on changing all the fluid to Amsoil in the near future.

I will say ever since I change to Amsoil, I've been averaging 19-20+ Mpg. Before it was 14-15. Not sure if its a coincidence due to warmer weather or what. But Im happier now,

I do believe that Amsoil is a very good oil but I also think it is over-hyped and overly expensive. I used to drink the Amsoil Kool-Aid many years ago and then determined that $23 for a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum at Walmart would have the same effect on my engine. They do have great marketing and the product is very good indeed. However, I do think it was way over priced based on the other excellent oil choices on the market today. To be fair, I haven't priced Amsoil in quite sometime so just guessing that it is still overly expensive as compared to PP, Mobil1, Valvoline and Castrol.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
When ever the weather gets warm, gas mileage goes up. Oil will not have that type of effect on mileage whether you used Amsoil, Mobil1 or PP. I wouldn't call Pennzoil or Mobil1 "skimping" but if you're happy...I'm happy for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread