5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mobil 1 5w-20 has new MS-6395 approval ! ****** Maybe bad info- Updated*******

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just discovered that Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic oil now has the Chrysler MS-6395 certification that it meets or exceeds for Hemi engines with MDS. It might be wise to verify it is also printed on bottle label in case old stock on store shelves is prior to approval. See pics below. Parts of Mobil web site show this certification and other parts don't. I sent them an email that their site has contradictions in data. ******UPDATE******* Apparently Mobil says they don't have MS-6395 in email and wanted to know where I saw this. I had googled Mobil 1 5W-20 and was given several options. One was www.moovelub.com that looks like a Mobil oil product site. I will update with their email responses. I apologize for posting bad info. :unsure: IMG_3485.JPG IMG_3484.JPG

Last edited:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That good news. I’ll go with Pennzoil ultra platinum but good news for people that like Mobil 1. Thank for sharing with the community.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been using the Mobile 1 in my Cat since new and was the first oil change done in this Rebel. I would bet the formula was not changed it just took time or they needed business case to pay for the certification. It’s harder on us Canadians to get the Pennzoil compared to the Mobile 1. Also the Pricing on the Mobile I find on sale a lot especially at Wally World. I change the oil every 5000km in my vehicles which I know is a waste of synthetic but I feel better about it.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Boom. Good stuff, J.

I've grown to like the Pennzoil Platinum... but love the Mobil1.

dreinert

Reaction score
The only unsettling thing for me about Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is the additives left at the bottom of the bottle. Pennzoil says it's normal for some additives to settle out and some have said they've been able to mix it although that hasn't worked for me.

I guess I feel like if I can see the additives in the bottom of the bottle there's a good amount, PPM wise, that isn't in the oil. I've never seen that with any M1 I've used.

U

User_3336

If the jug/bottle wasn't yellow and translucent, you would never have known what was in the bottom of the container.........
You'd never see it in any Mobil 1 product because their container is a darker silver and not translucent.

The only unsettling thing for me about Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is the additives left at the bottom of the bottle. Pennzoil says it's normal for some additives to settle out and some have said they've been able to mix it although that hasn't worked for me.

I guess I feel like if I can see the additives in the bottom of the bottle there's a good amount, PPM wise, that isn't in the oil. I've never seen that with any M1 I've used.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the jug/bottle wasn't yellow and translucent, you would never have known what was in the bottom of the container.........
You'd never see it in any Mobil 1 product because their container is a darker silver and not translucent.
I may be wrong about Mobil 1. See update above.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I might be wrong about Mobil 1. See update above

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i may be wrong about Mobil 1. See updates above.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh well.. still gonna use it, never had a problem in 3 SRT products and my last old 05 ram my kid was driving was strong at 200k..

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Baffling. Just baffling.

I'm starting to wonder if Mobil1 simply isn't capable of passing the certification test.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All of this misinformation! Here's a screenshot taken from Mobil 1's "Find the right oil" page that directly references Chrysler MS-6395:

Capture.JPG

It goes on to list the following oils as compatible for the 2019 Ram 1500 (HEMI V8):

Mobil Super™ Synthetic 5W-20
Mobil Super™ Synthetic 0W-20
Mobil Super™ High Mileage 5W-20
Mobil Super™ 5W-20

No Mobil 1™ varieties currently carry the Chrysler certification.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ahhh... mystery solved (maybe).

"Mobil" is a different tier oil than "Mobil-1".

The regular tier "Mobil" oils have been MS-6395 certified forever... it's the top tier Mobil-1 stuff that is not.

From what I've seen, Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum are both better than the regular tier "Mobil" oils.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhh... mystery solved (maybe).

"Mobil" is a different tier oil than "Mobil-1".

The regular tier "Mobil" oils have been MS-6395 certified forever... it's the top tier Mobil-1 stuff that is not.

From what I've seen, Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum are both better than the regular tier "Mobil" oils.
It is ironic that Mobil states the Mobil 1 line outperforms the Mobil Super line...sounds like they just don’t want to pay for the MS-6395 cert.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is ironic that Mobil states the Mobil 1 line outperforms the Mobil Super line...sounds like they just don’t want to pay for the MS-6395 cert.

Someone mentioned that Fiat had/has strong ties with Shell.

Shell acquired Pennzoil in 2002 and Fiat merged with Chrysler in 2014.

Could there also have been some corporate favoritism happening and Mobil got the short stick?

I'm sure you know that Mobil1 use to be the factory fill for Chrysler... until the merger with Fiat.

Users who are viewing this thread