5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moaning-Droning-whatever: very frustrated

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
My truck has gotten progressively worse over the last month or so. After doing a lot of searching in the forums, I was convinced it was the ANC system. It happens when I'm alone in the truck or with a passenger in the front. I very rarely have anything or anyone in the backseat. Yesterday on my way home from work, it started doing it again, so I pulled over, left the truck running and pulled the F12 fuse for the ANC system. Radio sound went dead (as expected). Started driving again and was hoping to hear silence. NOPE! It continued 🤬. Any ideas? Could it be the front active air dam moving? Grill shutters? It's not consistent - happens while keeping steady speed/rpms, foot off the gas, foot on the gas. The droning goes up - goes down - stops - returns. It doesn't change with anything noticeable. Doesn't sound like a bearing. I can't be without my truck as I use it to get to work, so I'm reluctant to take it to a dealer until I'm fairly convinced what it is.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck has gotten progressively worse over the last month or so. After doing a lot of searching in the forums, I was convinced it was the ANC system. It happens when I'm alone in the truck or with a passenger in the front. I very rarely have anything or anyone in the backseat. Yesterday on my way home from work, it started doing it again, so I pulled over, left the truck running and pulled the F12 fuse for the ANC system. Radio sound went dead (as expected). Started driving again and was hoping to hear silence. NOPE! It continued 🤬. Any ideas? Could it be the front active air dam moving? Grill shutters? It's not consistent - happens while keeping steady speed/rpms, foot off the gas, foot on the gas. The droning goes up - goes down - stops - returns. It doesn't change with anything noticeable. Doesn't sound like a bearing. I can't be without my truck as I use it to get to work, so I'm reluctant to take it to a dealer until I'm fairly convinced what it is.
Could you just be noticing your MDS in the exhaust? Maybe you have a exhaust leak, or muffler going out?

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Not following your thoughts. How would an exhaust leak or muffler going out cause these noises? Nothing seems to make it start or stop - just happens randomly. That said, I'm about due to change the oil so I'll take a good hard look underneath while the oil is draining. Thanks for the thoughts.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Does it stop right before your truck stops moving or like 2 seconds after, and then start up again when you move or get the RPMs above 2400-ish?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it was the ANC, you could verify by just cracking a window (which deactivates the system, I believe).

I’m tempted to guess you have a bad wheel bearing or similar issue, but this would kind of noise would correlate to speed.

I wonder if a bad ground somewhere is causing an electrical “hum” to build and discharge through speakers or climate control electronics. Just a wild guess, though.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not following your thoughts. How would an exhaust leak or muffler going out cause these noises? Nothing seems to make it start or stop - just happens randomly. That said, I'm about due to change the oil so I'll take a good hard look underneath while the oil is draining. Thanks for the thoughts.
Could be MDS turning on and off that you are hearing

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How about the radiator fan? They're all electric now, multiple speed, controlled by ECU.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
U joints, carrier bearing if applicable, pinion input shaft bearing? all of these can also make some weird noises like that. though most often they sound like a whine/squeak or grind noise. also what is your tread depth of your tires? I got a set of GY on right now about 3/4 gone and they make all kinds of noise now. GY are famous for that when worn.

Luckdiesel

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I am also convinced it is the ANC. Mine will drone sitting in park at idle. Sounds like it's coming out of the speakers and probably happens once a month. I just turn the truck off and back on and it's gone like a glitch. I've been doing this for 4 years lol. The dealer should just be able to flash it. I'll get there someday.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Does it stop right before your truck stops moving or like 2 seconds after, and then start up again when you move or get the RPMs above 2400-ish?
No. Sometimes I go for miles before it starts. Once it starts though, it usually moans for a while although as I said in my post, it goes up, goes down, stops, restarts, etc.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
U joints, carrier bearing if applicable, pinion input shaft bearing? all of these can also make some weird noises like that. though most often they sound like a whine/squeak or grind noise. also what is your tread depth of your tires? I got a set of GY on right now about 3/4 gone and they make all kinds of noise now. GY are famous for that when worn.
It doesn't sound like any kind of bearing. No squeak at all, and it doesn't vary with speed or rpms - just on it's own.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I am also convinced it is the ANC. Mine will drone sitting in park at idle. Sounds like it's coming out of the speakers and probably happens once a month. I just turn the truck off and back on and it's gone like a glitch. I've been doing this for 4 years lol. The dealer should just be able to flash it. I'll get there someday.
Next time it starts, pull the F12 fuse. I'm told that will stop it instantly as it removes power to the ANC. If that does the trick - you need to ANC TSB applied. Mine kept right on moaning, but oddly enough it never moans if I'm not moving. Leaning towards the Active Air damn or grill shutters. I'll pull that fuse next time to see if it stops.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Well, it's NOT the active air dam. Puller the plug after I heard the noise - got back in - drove some more - still moaning. Highly doubtfull it's the grill shutters. That leaves the MDS idea and a potential ghost or poltergeist! Damn - forgot to check for harmonicas :ROFLMAO:

cerbo

Reaction score
try it with the tonneau cover rolled up. Mine vibrates sometimes under just the right conditions but I can only hear it with the rear window open.

Users who are viewing this thread