5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing pulley nut?!

jabara572

Reaction score
IMG_20191110_161215.jpg

Am I crazy or am I missing the nut in the water pump?!? This is a shot from the bottom looking up. There are just threads there... Can someone with a hemi look and tell me if I lost the nut?!?!
Thanks!

Grayman5752

Reaction score
The pulley is a press fit onto the shaft. Hemis have pretty much been using the same water pumps since they first came out, back when they had mechanical/viscous fans that attached to them. The threaded portion is where the fan clutch would mate to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabara572

Reaction score
The pulley is a press fit onto the shaft. Hemis have pretty much been using the same water pumps since they first came out, back when they had mechanical/viscous fans that attached to them. The threaded portion is where the fan clutch would mate to.

I know most water pump pulleys are press fit but most also have nuts.

So no nut is correct?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 39644

Am I crazy or am I missing the nut in the water pump?!? This is a shot from the bottom looking up. There are just threads there... Can someone with a hemi look and tell me if I lost the nut?!?!
Thanks!

Wow, that's a good find. I know I'd feel a little more confident if an "unneeded" nut was on there.

Grayman5752

Reaction score
Wow, that's a good find. I know I'd feel a little more confident if an "unneeded" nut was on there.

Not a “good find,” a nut would do absolutely nothing. It wouldn’t fasten anything, it would just cover exposed threads. Like I said before, the threads are only there for when a mechanical fan used to be installed on the water pumps.

kevin56

Reaction score
The threaded portion is for older trucks that used a mechanical clutch type fan, its LH thread so good luck finding a nut to fit it :) Since the classic trucks share the same water pump and some use the mechanical fan its easier to have one water pump PN I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online