5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mishimoto Catch Can Petcock Drain Location

4x4Laramie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just installed the Mishimoto Catch Can on my 2021 Laramie 5.7 Hemi.

I am curious where you guys mounted the hose for the petcock drain kit. It is rather long. I could cut it, but I figured I'd see what others did first.

Hoping there is a convenient spot I can zip-tie it, or something...

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I just let it hang down along the radiator and put a zip tie. Makes it easy to put a container (I use a 1/2 milk jug) under the hose

4x4Laramie

Reaction score
I just let it hang down along the radiator and put a zip tie. Makes it easy to put a container (I use a 1/2 milk jug) under the hose
Did you have to cut the hose down a little bit? Right now a good foot or so will lay on the ground.

Can I wind it around some hoses in a loop (to shorten it), then zip tie it to those hoses?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

joemo

Reaction score
Is doing the catch can a worthy mod? I keep seeing mixed comments if it is worth it or not. Seems like an inexpensive addition either way, just curious if it has value.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Is doing the catch can a worthy mod? I keep seeing mixed comments if it is worth it or not. Seems like an inexpensive addition either way, just curious if it has value.
It’s non performance. Just keeps the intake clean. The blow by on these trucks can be a lot.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s non performance. Just keeps the intake clean. The blow by on these trucks can be a lot.
Technically it helps helps performance. Oil vapor is known to lower octane in the air fuel mixture and can cause pinging which will alter the timing. From what I gather the Hellcat motor has an OEM oil separator, not that we have a Hellcat motor but I'd like it to run the best it can

Ramtrx

Reaction score
As I said. You won’t notice one single bit of performance. It may help the fuel burn but not enough to have an improvement

4x4Laramie

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys!

I ended up running it straight down and cutting the house with a Husky pipe cutter (~$13 at home depot). Zip tied it to a safe spot.

I'll try and post a pic to help anybody deciding on what I was.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As I said. You won’t notice one single bit of performance. It may help the fuel burn but not enough to have an improvement

I really am on the fence on this issue; I completely understand why that is your view, but on the other hand, if your truck is knocking even on premium fuel and a catch can reduces or eliminates knock, then you will see a performance "gain" by using it. Reducing knock/timing costs you in terms of power output, so by reducing knock you simply allow your engine to work at max/peak performance.

So maybe instead of saying "it improves performance" we can say "it reduces the chance that your engine performance is reduced".

My truck pings the worst on 87, and even on 89 and 91 it still is never completely gone though it is far better.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
My truck pings running a tune and 91 octane with a catch can. It’s quite irritating.

joemo

Reaction score
Technically it helps helps performance. Oil vapor is known to lower octane in the air fuel mixture and can cause pinging which will alter the timing. From what I gather the Hellcat motor has an OEM oil separator, not that we have a Hellcat motor but I'd like it to run the best it can
Hmm now that would be AMAZING!.. a hellcat motor..

Ramjack

Reaction score
My truck pings running a tune and 91 octane with a catch can. It’s quite irritating.
That's disappointing to hear. What model year? That's the main reason I would want a catch can; to prevent carbon build-up after a few thousand miles that can cause pinging in the long run.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Totally unnecessary. I installed a stainless valve directly on the bottom of my CC and can easily reach it to empty the CC into a cup right from the engine bay. The MM Petcock kit is WAY overpriced and the plastic valve is crap. This is what I bought:

Ramjack

Reaction score
Totally unnecessary. I installed a stainless valve directly on the bottom of my CC and can easily reach it to empty the CC into a cup right from the engine bay. The MM Petcock kit is WAY overpriced and the plastic valve is crap. This is what I bought:

Did you have to drill into the bottom of the can and tap threads or is there a hole already there for the fitting you purchased? I like the way you've done it as opposed to the dangling hose and plastic fittings.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you have to drill into the bottom of the can and tap threads or is there a hole already there for the fitting you purchased? I like the way you've done it as opposed to the dangling hose and plastic fittings.
The threaded hole is there and has a plug installed. Remove the plug...install the valve and you're done. The dangling hose with the crap plastic petcock valve is terrible and unnecessary.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
That's disappointing to hear. What model year? That's the main reason I would want a catch can; to prevent carbon build-up after a few thousand miles that can cause pinging in the long run.
The catch can helps keep the intake clean. My pinging has to be a lifter. Dealer being a **** replicated it but barely and said it’s normal. It’s not, but now I’m out of warranty. Owe well I guess. Hope it doesn’t nuke itself.

Users who are viewing this thread