5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mishimoto Catch Can - 60 miles worth of oil "caught"

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Installed my Mishimoto catch can last weekend and since have put on about 60 miles or so. Though you'd like to see the amount of oil this thing has caught since then. I was actually surprised on how much was in the can. The photo is horrible, I know. I didn't have my glasses on so the focus is off. However, you can see how much is there at the bottom of the can.

IMG_1807.jpg

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed my Mishimoto catch can last weekend and since have put on about 60 miles or so. Though you'd like to see the amount of oil this thing has caught since then. I was actually surprised on how much was in the can. The photo is horrible, I know. I didn't have my glasses on so the focus is off. However, you can see how much is there at the bottom of the can.

View attachment 44933
wow, only after 60 miles! I'm thinking about getting one. How was the install?

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
wow, only after 60 miles! I'm thinking about getting one. How was the install?

The install was not too terrible, maybe it took about 45 minutes with me taking my time. The quality of the actual can is top-notch. It's machined very nicely and has some internal baffles of sorts to allow the oil-saturated air to collect on, though I do consider the cost of this thing to be a bit high. This is the first can I've ever installed, though I've known about them for years. I'd say it's worth it as from a preventative measure. If I can save myself having to clean or replacing the throttle body, or even deal with valve nonsense in the future then job done!

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The install was not too terrible, maybe it took about 45 minutes with me taking my time. The quality of the actual can is top-notch. It's machined very nicely and has some internal baffles of sorts to allow the oil-saturated air to collect on, though I do consider the cost of this thing to be a bit high. This is the first can I've ever installed, though I've known about them for years. I'd say it's worth it as from a preventative measure. If I can save myself having to clean or replacing the throttle body, or even deal with valve nonsense in the future then job done!
nice! glad you're happy with it, and that the install was easy. I'll probably get one too, and should do it sooner than later. Agree'd price is a little high for what it is. Good luck with it!

whetrick1

Reaction score

View attachment 44933

I've have had one on mine since it was brand new. Get you a drain petcock for it and remove the plug in the bottom of the catch can and put the drain valve in it. Then all you have to do is turn the handle and put a catch cup under it and open the valve and when finished draining close the petcock and you're through. Easypesy lol

d2116fd1d5cacc73ba00233e920a857d.jpg
3113ed221bde488664e51a15a388b23d.jpg
9510d3b664dc7899b8599da7f58eb091.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
I've have had one on mine since it was brand new. Get you a drain petcock for it and remove the plug in the bottom of the catch can and put the drain valve in it. Then all you have to do is turn the handle and put a catch cup under it and open the valve and when finished draining close the petcock and you're through. Easypesy lol

Love the orange engine cover! Paint that yourself?

ssenay72

Reaction score
Website says it’s for rams up to 2018. I assume they fit 19-20? Did you buy the kit or separate parts?
what drain peacock did you use?

whetrick1

Reaction score
I found it. Except drain valve.

Bought my drain valve at home depot back where they keep the air compressors. Just get the drain petcock for the air tank.

RJS

Reaction score
Just curious, when does the collection stop in one of these cans?. If that's 1/2 an ounce, over 6000 miles that's 50 oz or over 1 1/2 gts. I haven't had an engine use that much oil in 30 years. If it's closer to an ounce then it's over 3 gts.

Just asking fir clarification.

Doc33

Reaction score
Bought my drain valve at home depot back where they keep the air compressors. Just get the drain petcock for the air tank.

I strongly suggest you order the stainless steel ball valve and insert it into the bottom of your can. Makes emptying the can super easy!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just curious, when does the collection stop in one of these cans?. If that's 1/2 an ounce, over 6000 miles that's 50 oz or over 1 1/2 gts. I haven't had an engine use that much oil in 30 years. If it's closer to an ounce then it's over 3 gts.

Just asking fir clarification.
Your numbers above are flawed. The can holds 7.5 ounces. What is collected is not all oil. There is also fuel and condensation mixed in with the oil. In the winter months, the condensation levels are high. I find it hard to believe that you will have over a few ounces of oil over a 6K mile run...not 50 ounces. My truck has just over 6K miles and I think I collected about 3 ounces max of fluid...again, its not all oil.

Last edited:

RJS

Reaction score
Your numbers above are flawed. The can holds 7.5 ounces. What is collected is not all oil. There is also fuel and condensation mixed in with the oil. In the winter months, the condensation levels are high. I find it hard to believe that you will have over a few ounces of oil over a 6K mile run...not 50 ounces. My truck has just over 6K miles and I think I collected about 3 ounces max of fluid...again, its is not all oil.
The number are not flawed as 1/2 oz in 60 miles is 1 1/2 gts in 6000 miles but your answer makes sense that it consists of more than oil. That's what I wanted to know. thx

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The number are not flawed as 1/2 oz in 60 miles is 1 1/2 gts in 6000 miles but your answer makes sense that it consists of more than oil. That's what I wanted to know. thx
No problem @RJS ...Mishimoto will tell you that after you first install your CC, for the first 1000-1500 miles, you will collect more deposits than normal. Once the system normalizes, you will collect far less. I placed a CC on my 2019 Subaru Forester Sport. In the first 1500 miles, I collected over 3 ounces...almost filled the can to the brim. I thought WTF??? I called Mishimoto's tech support and they informed me that volume is higher than normal for the first few thousand miles. Then you will see a decrease in deposits. In the Winter, you should check your CC every 1500 miles...it will be far more water than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread