5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini muffler add on for travel?

93CBRA

Reaction score
Hey so call me crazy but i was thinking of buying two of these to quiet down my ride during long travel with the family (only $14 a piece). When pulling my long snowmobile trailer things can get pretty loud in the cab, last month took the 4 wheelers about 2 hours north and the girlfriend was not so impressed and was getting a headache, lol. Which I can understand, under heavy load it can get pretty loud with my Carven (but I still love it). Anyways, looking to do a few very long trips this year with the whole family (mostly girls) and was thinking I could quickly remove the exhaust tips as add these in their place just for trips (I know it would look ghetto but not really concerned with that for short trips). Anyone do anything like this, or something to the same effect? Not sure it would quiet it much or if there would be added back pressure but I did't think there would be.

Attachments

• Mini muffler.PNG
    Mini muffler.PNG
    807.3 KB · Views: 22

Jonathan19Limited

Reaction score
I doubt those things would make any noticeable difference.

On my last truck ('13 GMC Sierra 6.2L), I had a set of long tubes w/ catted Y pipe bolted to the factory 3.5" cat-back. While I loved the sound, there were times I wanted a more aggressive exhaust sound, so I had a muffler shop weld on a set of 3 bolt flanges on each side of the stock muffler. Then I had a section of 3.5" pipe made that could fit the same space as the stock muffler, also with flanges on each end. This way, in under 15min. I could unbolt the stock muffler and bolt up the "muffler delete" pipe.

thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail.jpg

While that setup ended up being too loud for my taste, I later had that shop weld in a small Jones muffler into that 3.5" pipe section, and could swap between mufflers at will in just a few minutes.

Last edited:

93CBRA

Reaction score
Hmmm, pretty cool idea! I might have to try something like that!

DeanKing

Reaction score
I doubt those things would make any noticeable difference.

On my last truck ('13 GMC Sierra 6.2L), I had a set of long tubes w/ catted Y pipe bolted to the factory 3.5" cat-back. While I loved the sound, there were times I wanted a more aggressive exhaust sound, so I had a muffler shop weld on a set of 3 bolt flanges on each side of the stock muffler. Then I had a section of 3.5" pipe made that could fit the same space as the stock muffler, also with flanges on each end. This way, in under 15min. I could unbolt the stock muffler and bolt up the "muffler delete" pipe.

View attachment 31842 View attachment 31843 View attachment 31844

While that setup ended up being too loud for my taste, I later had that shop weld in a small Jones muffler into that 3.5" pipe section, and could swap between mufflers at will in just a few minutes.
Now that is some proper engineering. Perhaps just some manual zoomies to do the same thing with less work. Climb under, flip a lever, and no muffler.

Users who are viewing this thread