5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Micro Fiber towels

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where is everyone getting their micro fiber towels and what brand do you prefer? Slim pickings in the auto stores. Obviously looking for something that won't scratch and want drying and some to apply some of the spray in coatings that are out there. Also what is the preferred detergent to wash them in? Thanks in advance for any input.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rag company has been my go too for sometime now. There’s also autogeek or autopia or even amazon I think sells the rag company or chemical guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Local detail shop. Most will sell microfibers and clean jng products

GMetal

Reaction score
Sams club for general use microfiber towels. For drying and cleaning I buy the chemical guys waffle towels from amazon.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Where is everyone getting their micro fiber towels and what brand do you prefer? Slim pickings in the auto stores. Obviously looking for something that won't scratch and want drying and some to apply some of the spray in coatings that are out there. Also what is the preferred detergent to wash them in? Thanks in advance for any input.
Different cloths for what you want to do. There is no 1 size fits all.

These are great for drying

These work great to work in and out wax like substances

These are great to apply ceramic coatings before working it in (terrible for wax)

These are great on screens, like your touch screen inside

Clean the cloths with cold water by hand to get stuff out.
I put them in the washer after with this stuff (very small amount).
This will NOT remove wax if not rinsed out by hand first so there might be a better product not sure. The cloths feel brand new after so it doesn't damage them like other cleaners though.

Hope this helps.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rag company has been my go too for sometime now. There’s also autogeek or autopia or even amazon I think sells the rag company or chemical guys.
Also a big fan of the Rag Company. Amazon does sell them. I actually just grabbed a 10 pack of edgeless towels from them last weekend. I've also had success with CarCarez edgeless towels from Amazon as well. They are nearly identical to the Rag Company's towels, but they do leave behind some excess lint which can be annoying.

For drying, I like using Chemical Guys Woolly Mammoth towels. A bit pricey, but the larger size makes it a great option for drying the truck.

For washing, I'm currently using up the last of my Chemical Guys microfiber wash. It does a good job, but I'm not completely sold on it. Once gone, I'm leaning towards trying P&S's Rags to Riches detergent. It is reviewed pretty highly in a few of the detailing groups I'm in.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Autogeek runs some pretty good specials on microfibers. I typically use bulk type microfibers for things like interior cleaning and wax removal. Waffle weave microfibers area really great for window cleaning. For drying towels, I like them to have the layers stitched together. If they aren't, the layers kind of separate as you are trying to dry and the towel doesn't glide across the surface as well.

There are lots of microfiber detergents out there. I can't say I have noticed one working all that much better than others. I've used Griot's Garage Microfiber and Foam Pad Cleaner and Detail Products Microfiber Cleaner.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Microfibers for car stuff I buy the Costco pack and for everything else I buy the 30 for $10 pack at Walmart. I pretty much use mircofibers for everything, great stuff.

If I was deeply into detailing my vehicles, I would be looking at the higher quality sources mentioned above. But I've found that even budget/cheap towel are pretty darn good.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up this package from Costco. Works pretty well.

View attachment 158805
Those are what I use too. Forget buying them from O'Reilley's, NAPA, Auto Zone, etc. They are $5 to $10 for a pack of three. 36 decent sized microfiber towels for less than twenty bucks is a bargain. And they work well.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
For microfiber towels, never mix them with any cotton towels when you laundry them, the cotton will clog up the materials. Also, use hot water to wash and low heat or hang dry.

The hot water is needed to help the fibers release any materials caught in the fiberrs, but the dryer gets much hotter and can melt the fibers as well, so when drying either low heat or hang dry.

I rarely will use the same towel again for polish or waxing, even after it was laundry. I sort my towels in different grades. Essentially brand new for polishing, like new for interior and drying, kinda rougher for cleaning the engine bay/door sills, and old/rough for mopping up dirty oil during an oil change or cleaning up grime. After that they get thrown away.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use rag company towels and chemical guys microfiber wash. I sort them by purpose. Interior cleaning I use inexpensive thinner towels. Drying, polishing, windows, and other sensitive areas, I use the Rag Company stuff.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I prefer Terry cloth to micro fiber. They are cheaper and easier to wash.

Also use cloth baby diapers for the windows.

Both don’t leave those micro fibers.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer Terry cloth to micro fiber. They are cheaper and easier to wash.

Also use cloth baby diapers for the windows.

Both don’t leave those micro fibers.
Good quality microfiber cloths are more lint free than good cotton terry cloth towels. Just like your towels not all microfibers are created the same.

Users who are viewing this thread