5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Micro Fiber towels

yrralguthrie

Reaction score
Just a hint. I find that most microfiber towels are not really very good at absorbing liquid. 9 out of 10 microfiber towels I've bought don't pass this simple test. Put some water on a flat non-porous surface. Like a kitchen counter. Fold the towel, place the towel on the surface, and gently try to push the water. 9 out of 10 that I've tried actually did push the water and did not absorb any water. That's not very good for cleaning. Regular cotton towels from the Dollar Store are much better.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just a hint. I find that most microfiber towels are not really very good at absorbing liquid. 9 out of 10 microfiber towels I've bought don't pass this simple test. Put some water on a flat non-porous surface. Like a kitchen counter. Fold the towel, place the towel on the surface, and gently try to push the water. 9 out of 10 that I've tried actually did push the water and did not absorb any water. That's not very good for cleaning. Regular cotton towels from the Dollar Store are much better.
Because you bought the wrong kind.

The measurement of water absorption is in GSM.

Higher GSM more absorbent, the lower the less to the point of not absorbing anything.

A good example is
This has 1100 GSM, this is a very good towel for absorbing water and drying things off.

This I use
It's GSM is only 530, it basically can't even adsorb water but it's a GREAT cloth.
I use it to apply wax\cermic and clean surfaces

The 1100 GSM is worthless with wax\ceramic, and is not able to really work into anything and is just to remove water.
I do own both of those towels and they are for completely different purposes, there are TONS of differnet kinds of microfiber cloths when it comes to material type and water absorption, computer screen microfibers are a differnet

This is for screens, and is a much more fine cloth, and but can absorb a little water, but it's not the point of the cloth.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Because you bought the wrong kind.

The measurement of water absorption is in GSM.

Higher GSM more absorbent, the lower the less to the point of not absorbing anything.

A good example is
This has 1100 GSM, this is a very good towel for absorbing water and drying things off.

This I use
It's GSM is only 530, it basically can't even adsorb water but it's a GREAT cloth.
I use it to apply wax\cermic and clean surfaces

The 1100 GSM is worthless with wax\ceramic, and is not able to really work into anything and is just to remove water.
I do own both of those towels and they are for completely different purposes, there are TONS of differnet kinds of microfiber cloths when it comes to material type and water absorption, computer screen microfibers are a differnet

This is for screens, and is a much more fine cloth, and but can absorb a little water, but it's not the point of the cloth.
I have that same drying cloth. Works awesome. Was able to dry my entire truck after my last foam bath and wash and didnt have to ring it out once, and it soaked up everything.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Recently ordered some of these and they’re the best I ever used for detailing and polishing.

Leno has some really good products. Everything I ordered is top quality.

For drying I haven’t found anything better than this towel.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Even cheap microfiber can dry well, you

I found that the cheaper microfibers are like that, but no worries, just make sure they are already damp and wrung out, they work great at absorbing liquid. I use a soapy wrung out microfiber to clean up around the kitchen, absolutely love using them for that. I just rinse them out in hot soapy water and then hang dry them on the stove handle.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I want to know is how does everyone clean or wash their towels? I must not be doing it wrong my towels just don’t perform the same after a few wash cycles.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What I want to know is how does everyone clean or wash their towels? I must not be doing it wrong my towels just don’t perform the same after a few wash cycles.

To wash microfibers, it's easy, just never wash them with anything cotton, which will get stuck in the fibers, or fabric softeners which will also get stuck in the fibers and lower their capabilities.

Ideally, you want to wash them in the hottest water setting which will allow the fibers to open up and release the dirt trapped in them. Then when drying, either line or low heat. Use the delicate heat cycle and you should be fine, otherwise you risk damaging the fibers due to heat. Again, wash with hot water, dry with low heat.

I typically only polish my cars with fresh (never washed or used) towels. After that, those towels can be used for drying or applying dressing or wiping the interior, as they degrade further, they become disposable towels I used for oil changes or cleaning up grime. Cheaper microfibers will degrade as you use them, but they aren't meant to last forever. I buy a pack of 20 for $10, which should last me a year or two.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up some of the Chemical Guys microfiber wash. Used it for the first time and followed the hot water, low heat drying and it actually brought some of my older microfibers back to life.

Always wash with only other microfibers. don't mix microfibers you used for wheels in with those you use for polishing.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just picked up some of the Chemical Guys microfiber wash. Used it for the first time and followed the hot water, low heat drying and it actually brought some of my older microfibers back to life.

Always wash with only other microfibers. don't mix microfibers you used for wheels in with those you use for polishing.
I use the same stuff. My cloths are still like new. I pre wash if I use it for wax or it's really soapy though.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I said up in my original comment on this thread that I wasn't completely sold on the CG wash, but my opinion has flipped on that. After using up the CG wash, I switched to some no-name microfiber wash from Amazon and the difference was immediately noticed. I guess the old saying "You don't know what you have until it's gone" is true lol.

I'd still like to try some of the other washes out there for additional comparison, but the CG wash now gets my vote as well.

Users who are viewing this thread