5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michelin Defender Tire Pressure

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post so I’m sorry if it’s been covered but I have discovered a unique issue that I haven’t found in existing threads. I have around 10k on my Michelin Defenders and always maintained between 36-41 (cold/hot) tire pressure & noticed all 4 tires are wearing in the center - concave. Usually that means overinflated & I’ve seen some say Michelin recommends 50psi, but if I’m already having this issue at a lower tire pressure could it possibly be a defect? Wouldn’t think I’d get an issue so early on with such highly recommended Michelin’s. Thanks in advance for any help on the subject.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same thing on my oem orp falkens. Figure the psi is for max load and stiffest cornering. Not worried about getting rid of the falkens. Sometimes happens when guys try to run too wide of tire on a narrow rim. Watching.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post so I’m sorry if it’s been covered but I have discovered a unique issue that I haven’t found in existing threads. I have around 10k on my Michelin Defenders and always maintained between 36-41 (cold/hot) tire pressure & noticed all 4 tires are wearing in the center - concave. Usually that means overinflated & I’ve seen some say Michelin recommends 50psi, but if I’m already having this issue at a lower tire pressure could it possibly be a defect? Wouldn’t think I’d get an issue so early on with such highly recommended Michelin’s. Thanks in advance for any help on the subject.
I kept mine at 36 and never higher.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My oem Goodyears from the factory did the same thing and got about 45k out of them or so. I’d hate to put more air in them and make it worse also. Just strange that it’s so early on in the Michelin’s. I noticed the truck started riding rougher which made me investigate. I have an oil change & tire rotate next Friday so I will ask the Ram dealer then. I always rotate & full synthetic every 6k. Don’t haul in the bed much at all & never overload it. Only constant weight is Retrax bed cover & Yakima rack.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I kept mine at 36 and never higher.
I always keep mine at 36 as well, even after dealer maintenance when they always air them up to 40 I will purge it back down to 36 right away. As it warms up I see them get to 40-41 & they always stay consistent.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I always keep mine at 36 as well, even after dealer maintenance when they always air them up to 40 I will purge it back down to 36 right away. As it warms up I see them get to 40-41 & they always stay consistent.
Then you have something else going on there versus tire pressure issues.

RSZ

Reaction score

What size are the Michelins? What is the date code on the tires? Where did you buy the tires?

Michelin changed the compound on the Defender LTX recently. There are other people, on different make trucks with those tires experiencing the same centre wear.

taz2016

Reaction score
Recommended pressures are based on load capacity and wear among other factors. Unless you are carrying a heavy load or pulling a trailer try a lower pressure if you want to get the maximum life out of your tires.
Is your recommended pressure 36 psi?

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then you have something else going on there versus tire pressure issues.
That’s what the signs are pointing me towards as well, but all 4?? Usually it would be just the front or just the rears this early on into the mileage & they have been rotated once, the second time will be this upcoming Friday.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What size are the Michelins? What is the date code on the tires? Where did you buy the tires?

Michelin changed the compound on the Defender LTX recently. There are other people, on different make trucks with those tires experiencing the same centre wear.

285/45r/22 on stock wheels. 32 week of 2021 is the date code - 3221. Ram dealer is where I purchased them from when the factory Goodyears were through. Purchased at the end of October 2021. I’m thinking the tread compound was changed for good reason & “assuming” this is my issue, especially when considering my response above to Securityguy.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Recommended pressures are based on load capacity and wear among other factors. Unless you are carrying a heavy load or pulling a trailer try a lower pressure if you want to get the maximum life out of your tires.
Is your recommended pressure 36 psi?
Yes my recommended pressure is 36 psi. I hardly ever carry a heavy load and seldom trailer. Maybe once or twice a year with a small trailer loaded with wood for our wood boiler. Probably only about 2-3k lbs when full.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now fortunately & hopefully, the 22 Limited Night build I put a deposit down on Friday will come sooner than later. I drive a lot for work, almost 60k last year alone so I’m going to opt for driving the Jeep & Trans Am a bit more until the truck arrives. Can’t wait to put a Hellwig away bar on it with the air suspension & see how it handles these curvy Midwest back roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online