5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Vaughn

Reaction score
Put some of these on my wife's Cherokee, when we found out her Continental ProContact tires sucked in the snow. They were so good in the snow, that when we upgraded to a Grand Cherokee this winter the first thing I did was buy another set. We don't take her vehicles off road, but as a smooth riding, snow capable tire they are great.

Conundrum

Reaction score
I was calling around getting some prices for my 2021 Laramie with 20s. One place said next week (May 17, 2023), there is a $110 rebate starting for the Michelins. I might go and dump the stock Duelers that I have 20K miles on. They might make it through the summer.

On another note, I've thought about AT tires, but I do mostly highway driving (10 minutes one way to work) with the occasional trip. The roads around here suck, North Central WV, so plenty of potholes with maybe some gravel or tar and chip side roads. Sometimes Winter gets nasty here but not lately. So I may just stick with the all season highway tire. But I'm open to thoughts on this.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMHO the LTX's are the best all season tire and have very good mileage : $ ratio, especially after Costco price. They last a loooong time, whether you like 'em or not. Mine unfortunately are "E" range, but if you get SL, XL, or C range, they should be great. They will spin a little on the back of a lightweight truck, so if you have the mostly tar and no stone type asphalt roads, it might be a little loose for you when wet. I haven't had these off road yet, but I don't get into deep mud, and I use a little momentum, so we'll see.

Einstein376

Reaction score
I like them on my 2019. Good this past winter in the snow and quiet on the highway. The only downside I have found is they “hunt” a bit on grooved pavement. Mine were from Costco.

Jim

Conundrum

Reaction score
I like them on my 2019. Good this past winter in the snow and quiet on the highway. The only downside I have found is they “hunt” a bit on grooved pavement. Mine were from Costco.

Jim
I have a Sam's Club near me but no Costco unless I drive a couple hours away. What's the going rate at Costco? Other than grave or tar/chipped roads, I may pull into my yard to load/unload the truck. Other than that, I don't go off road unless I have too. But some would argue that where I live in WV, the main roads are off-road due to the potholes.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Sam's Club near me but no Costco unless I drive a couple hours away. What's the going rate at Costco? Other than grave or tar/chipped roads, I may pull into my yard to load/unload the truck. Other than that, I don't go off road unless I have too. But some would argue that where I live in WV, the main roads are off-road due to the potholes.
Good in grass with the mini grooves. I do that driving up a walkout story in 20 feet.

You ain't seen nothing about potholes until you visit MI.

Slippy's Dad

Reaction score
The last 2 sets of tires that I've had have been these tires, so as everyone has stated, you should feel comfortable with this tire purchase.

Price at Costco vs. Belle Tire / Discount Tire in MIchigan are similar depending upon the current mfg sale being offered. Costco usually beats it by $10 or so. The road hazard offer at Costco is better though, as it is included with the purchase price at Costco and a separate, additional purchase at the chain tire stores. I don't shop at Sam's, so I cannot offer a comparison there.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got a set though a distributor to our family business (auto repair) and have 17k miles on them, so I feel the need to say this. I’m extremely disappointed with how quickly they have worn with proper alignment. For reference, alignment was done when tires were put on, and checked again 2k miles ago with no adjustments made (kind of surprising). I don’t think they’re going to last another 15k miles. Defenders used to be great tires, but I do not know what they did to the composition of their rubber. IMO, It’s not the same as the olden days.

Edit: I’m about to get some sauce to back this up and post it in a few minutes.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Starting depth: 12/32
Depth at 17k: 6/32
Even wear with 5k cross rotations. 1/3 notch more tread on left rear tire.

Tread wear shot, nice and even.
0F98E320-43D7-4AEE-A0E6-E5B609020F64.jpeg
8E4E4E51-B53B-44A5-8C14-16B8864BCF36.jpeg
C42E5386-41D8-42A0-952E-F1573B4FFEDC.jpeg

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got a set though a distributor to our family business (auto repair) and have 17k miles on them, so I feel the need to say this. I’m extremely disappointed with how quickly they have worn with proper alignment. For reference, alignment was done when tires were put on, and checked again 2k miles ago with no adjustments made (kind of surprising). I don’t think they’re going to last another 15k miles. Defenders used to be great tires, but I do not know what they did to the composition of their rubber. IMO, It’s not the same as the olden days.

I used to run Michelin tires on my motorcycle. Then I noticed my tires were wearing out twice as fast as they did previously. Someone pointed out that Michelin had moved the manufacturing of that particular tire from Spain to Vietnam and the rubber each country sources can vary. Sure enough, I looked at the country of manufacture on that tire and it was made in Vietnam. My local motorcycle shop had 3 of those tires in stock and one of them was made in Spain, so I bought it. Once that tire wore out, I couldn't find any that were manufactured in Spain, so I switched brands. That might be the reason your LTX's are wearing so fast.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used to run Michelin tires on my motorcycle. Then I noticed my tires were wearing out twice as fast as they did previously. Someone pointed out that Michelin had moved the manufacturing of that particular tire from Spain to Vietnam and the rubber each country sources can vary. Sure enough, I looked at the country of manufacture on that tire and it was made in Vietnam. My local motorcycle shop had 3 of those tires in stock and one of them was made in Spain, so I bought it. Once that tire wore out, I couldn't find any that were manufactured in Spain, so I switched brands. That might be the reason your LTX's are wearing so fast.
Yeah, probably. End result is they’ll just lose me as a customer I guess.

Edit: now that I’ve sat and thought about it a little bit, I think my estimation of replacing these tires in another 15k is too optimistic. I think the reality is these will start being unsafe in heavy rain around 8k more miles or so.

Last edited:

Conundrum

Reaction score
How does everyone feel with them while cornering? My OEM Duelers feel a little soft in that department. Although, I'm sure a Hellwig would help out as well.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Edit: I’m about to get some sauce to back this up and post it in a few minutes.
It's always good to have a reality check, balanced reviews, even on a small forum sample. Thanks.

I've used these for 10 years on my SUV's with good mileage, as a "P" tire, as yours seem to be. This will be my first LTX as an "E" range tire, so we'll see. I count this thread as the main LTX, so hopefully I remember to report back as well. 8k miles currently with no wear. If latest OP gets a P tire, hope he reports back as well.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's always good to have a reality check, balanced reviews, even on a small forum sample. Thanks.

I've used these for 10 years on my SUV's with good mileage, as a "P" tire, as yours seem to be. This will be my first LTX as an "E" range tire, so we'll see. I count this thread as the main LTX, so hopefully I remember to report back as well. 8k miles currently with no wear. If latest OP gets a P tire, hope he reports back as well.
Yeah, E rated could quite possibly make all the difference on these tires. I was going for as light as possible, which is why I chose a P rated tire.

RCT

Reaction score
I am going to need replacements for my 285x45x22 goodyears shortly for my 2021 Limited Ram. I am considering the Michelin Defender LTX M/S 305x45x22 load 118H XL. This will be a upsize from original do you see any rubbing /or other problems with these tires with the air suspension ? I am sure the speed odometer will be off I will deal with that. They are rated with a heavier load rating than the 285's which I like they also are ok on my ( stock rim 9") (rim width range " 9-11.5"for tire)

TheSasquatch

Reaction score
I am going to need replacements for my 285x45x22 goodyears shortly for my 2021 Limited Ram. I am considering the Michelin Defender LTX M/S 305x45x22 load 118H XL. This will be a upsize from original do you see any rubbing /or other problems with these tires with the air suspension ? I am sure the speed odometer will be off I will deal with that. They are rated with a heavier load rating than the 285's which I like they also are ok on my ( stock rim 9") (rim width range " 9-11.5"for tire)
Hey- did you end up doing the 305's? No one responded to your question back in May but I'm looking to do either a 305/45 or a 285/50 (or 55). Wondering what you went with and the result..

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
I loved the Defender LTX's on my '17. I had 60k miles on them and still had 5/32 all the way around (never had an alignment on the truck either). When these OE Bridgestones wear out on my '23, I'll be heading to Costco to get them replaced with the Michelins.

Just FYI, Discount Tire will price match tire price at Costco, but that doesn't mean they match the install and warranty that Costco provides. All Costco prices include install and warranty now. Typically Costco will have $150 rebates on Michelin every 2-3 months (they alternate between Michelin and BFG).

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I loved the Defender LTX's on my '17. I had 60k miles on them and still had 5/32 all the way around (never had an alignment on the truck either). When these OE Bridgestones wear out on my '23, I'll be heading to Costco to get them replaced with the Michelins.

Just FYI, Discount Tire will price match tire price at Costco, but that doesn't mean they match the install and warranty that Costco provides. All Costco prices include install and warranty now. Typically Costco will have $150 rebates on Michelin every 2-3 months (they alternate between Michelin and BFG).
Just put LTX M/S's on my wife's Pathfinder through Costco. Price was about $220 cheaper than Discount Tire (my preferred shop) after you include install and warranty. They currently have $100 off $900 spent.

Users who are viewing this thread