5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MFT trouble closing

PARebel

Reaction score
Hello - new to the group and to Ram. I have a 2020 Rebel with Multifunction Tailgate. I am finding that closing mft barn door style is very finicky. I often have to open and close them a few times before the register closed, otherwise I get the open door light on the dash display. I also find when it’s in the state it will not open normal style (like a typical pickup tailgate )

Has anyone else had issues like this, wondering if it is just an adjustment or perhaps something that is a design problem.

Really appreciate the forum, it’s tremendously helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wsmith

Reaction score
Hello - new to the group and to Ram. I have a 2020 Rebel with Multifunction Tailgate. I am finding that closing mft barn door style is very finicky. I often have to open and close them a few times before the register closed, otherwise I get the open door light on the dash display. I also find when it’s in the state it will not open normal style (like a typical pickup tailgate )

Has anyone else had issues like this, wondering if it is just an adjustment or perhaps something that is a design problem.

I don't have the MFT, on a similar thread, many had the same problem as you with the MFT, I also had it on my standard tailgate. After a couple of months it must have "wore in" It no longer causes me any problems. The same was said by others on the MFT thread. It seems to get better with time.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We had trouble with the one on our Limited at first, but after a couple of weeks of using it the light stopped coming on. Either we got better at closing it or it needed a break-in period. Either way it's fine now. Hopefully yours will be the same way.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi @PARebel - If at any point you need to address this with your dealer, our team is always a private message away to provide support.

Mark
RamCares

Rexx

Reaction score
I had this exact issue with my MFT. I had to really slam my barn doors shut or the truck would register them as open. After about 3-4 weeks the issue went away. And I can close the doors with a more normal amount of force and no issues. I’ve had the truck about 8 months now.

PARebel

Reaction score
Very much appreciate the responses. Hopefully it will break in as you guys have experienced.

RBMcGee

Reaction score
Hello all,

New member, just joined today actually, looking for some help. The MFT on my 2020 Limited has just developed and issue. The second barn door (smaller door) has quite opening all together. I can pull the handle but it doesn't feel like it's connected to anything, I can't feel any resistance is what i mean.

I fully intend to take off the plastic panel and take a look at the internals as soon as I get a day off but I figured i'd ask around and see if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help or insights.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd probably take it in and have it looked at if it's still under warranty. But now I'm curious since both of the trucks we own have the MFT now. Please keep us updated on what you find. And welcome to the forum! :)

Users who are viewing this thread