5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MFT (multi-function-tailgate) on my 19' Ram Rebel Won't open

cdnredrebel

Reaction score
Hello everyone, as the title says I have a 19' Rebel with the MFT and since I bought it (used) a year ago, when opening the barn doors (pressing the bottom function/handle) the 60% door would sort of catch when opening it. Now for the last couple of months, when pushing the downward handle the tailgate makes a clicking sound as if the latch opens, but I can pull on it as hard as I possibly can and it won't open...it's stuck. When I push on the upper latch to bring the whole tailgate down, it opens no problem, it's just the barn doors that won't open.

I did so much googling, and apparently nobody else had this issue before which I find hard to believe. Has anybody else on here had this problem before? I just tried taking off the 2 backplates/plastics on the back of the tailgate in hopes of getting to the latch/mechanism and after removing all the clips, it seems that something is holding the plastics in place between the two barn-doors so I can't even get to the whole latch mechanism.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's not something I've read anyone having problems with. We've owned two trucks with the MFT, and had zero problems with them. It's good that you can open it traditionally, but would suck that you can't open it barn door style. If I had to guess I'd say there's a mechanical issue with it, especially since you said it was sort of catching before. Whatever was catching must have worked loose and is now preventing you from opening it. Sorry I don't have any answers for you. I'll have a look at ours when I get home from work today to see if I can see anything that might cause that. Good luck. Hopefully someone else here has an idea.

cdnredrebel

Reaction score
That's not something I've read anyone having problems with. We've owned two trucks with the MFT, and had zero problems with them. It's good that you can open it traditionally, but would suck that you can't open it barn door style. If I had to guess I'd say there's a mechanical issue with it, especially since you said it was sort of catching before. Whatever was catching must have worked loose and is now preventing you from opening it. Sorry I don't have any answers for you. I'll have a look at ours when I get home from work today to see if I can see anything that might cause that. Good luck. Hopefully someone else here has an idea.
Thanks for the reply Mike. Thats basically what I was thinking too, something must of gotten miss-aligned and yesterday i noticed when I try to open the barn door, after it makes the clicking sound, the top part of the gate moves out about a half inch so there must be one latch on the top and one on the bottom and the bottom one is whats stuck, unless there's only one latch and its located towards the bottom.

I'll just need to spend a full day trying to take it apart and hopefully fix it.

Cheers,
Marko

Users who are viewing this thread