5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MF tailgate as an add-on later? Is it swappable?

leftoutside

Reaction score
Or are there funky electronics in it that are different from the normal tailgate?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think anyone on the forum has actually tried it yet. There is a lot of speculation that it can be done (I was one of the "speculators" lol). Mechanically it can be done. It has the same dimensions as the regular tailgate. The strikers are different, so they would need to be swapped out. And if you don't have a rambox bed you'll also need the brackets for the front corners of the bed (extra bracing). I don't even know if the electrical connectors are different, so it could require some rewiring. My biggest hurdle was in sourcing a tailgate. I couldn't buy a complete MFT from the dealership. And none of the salvage yards in my area had any yet. I've sort of given up since my new truck has the MFT. But I would be interested in knowing what all was involved if someone is successful in doing this swap.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting..because you would think that it would be easy to do. I really don't think it's a simple job. Because it splits in half (more like 2/3) you would have more support structure on the sides to do it. Plus I don't know how easy it is to bring over the rear camera/locking system/tail gate release system because it's separate process now.

Also, you would think that the computer might need to be flashed to accommodate some of those features...like tailgate warning, and if you have the camera on, while one side of the tailgate is open.

I can't imagine that it would be cheap, and not just plug and pray.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've heard that you need to replace the bed too.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^ it has been discussed that you need to replace the entire bed. I think that came from a Ram rep... not sure DON'T QUOTE ME

I just think it's more complicated than others originally thought. there is a lot of bracing that goes into it so the "barn doors" can support weight even when swung open.

MFT is one of my favorite features and I'm very glad I optioned it!

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^ it has been discussed that you need to replace the entire bed. I think that came from a Ram rep... not sure DON'T QUOTE ME

I just think it's more complicated than others originally thought. there is a lot of bracing that goes into it so the "barn doors" can support weight even when swung open.

Hell, if I'm replacing the entire bed, lm going to look at ramboxes...lol.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I think this is a factor for why no one has even tried it. These types of posts just perpetuate myths and scare people away from trying things. The only extra bracing is the two brackets at the front top corners of the bed. And like I already said, if you have a rambox bed there is no extra bracing required. Of course Ram reps are saying you need to replace the entire bed. They know that no one will do that, which means the alternative is to buy a new truck with the MFT.

drydocked

Reaction score
The strikers that are built into the bottom of the bed that hold the two halves in the closed position is probably the biggest reason that you'd have to replace the bed. Those aren't something that can be bolted on.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well someone is eventually going to try it...so just wait and see.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The strikers that are built into the bottom of the bed that hold the two halves in the closed position is probably the biggest reason that you'd have to replace the bed. Those aren't something that can be bolted on.
Sounds like you haven't taken a close look at a MFT in person. The support structure for the two halves of the tailgate are part of the tailgate assembly itself. The bottom strikers are mounted into this support structure, not the bed. The only attachment points for the MFT assembly are the same style of hinge that the normal tailgate uses. Like I said, the MFT (with attached support structure) will mount up to a normal bed. And if you replace the strikers (normal strikers at the top on each side of the tailgate opening) it will close properly. I would want to make sure that the electronics are working before doing that though, or you may not have an easy time opening it back up.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you haven't taken a close look at a MFT in person. The support structure for the two halves of the tailgate are part of the tailgate assembly itself. The bottom strikers are mounted into this support structure, not the bed. The only attachment points for the MFT assembly are the same style of hinge that the normal tailgate uses. Like I said, the MFT (with attached support structure) will mount up to a normal bed. And if you replace the strikers (normal strikers at the top on each side of the tailgate opening) it will close properly. I would want to make sure that the electronics are working before doing that though, or you may not have an easy time opening it back up.
Realistically, it doesn’t look like it would be too costly (for what it is). Looks like all the tailgate parts are right around $2000 (plus paint). Tailgates alone are a hot commodity even at junkyards, so even if you get lucky enough to find a take off MFT, it’s still going to be around the same. Then you need the tailgate module and tailgate harness. Verify that the correct wiring is in the 8-way chassis connector that the tailgate jumper plugs into- probably missing LIN Bus wire and batt+ wire on 2019s, but might be present on all 2020+. I believe it’s only one setting in the BCM with AlfaOBD.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Realistically, it doesn’t look like it would be too costly (for what it is). Looks like all the tailgate parts are right around $2000 (plus paint). Tailgates alone are a hot commodity even at junkyards, so even if you get lucky enough to find a take off MFT, it’s still going to be around the same. Then you need the tailgate module and tailgate harness. Verify that the correct wiring is in the 8-way chassis connector that the tailgate jumper plugs into- probably missing LIN Bus wire and batt+ wire on 2019s, but might be present on all 2020+. I believe it’s only one setting in the BCM with AlfaOBD.
Right. I had the mechanical part figured out. I just wasn't sure about the electronics changes involved. Good to know I was on the right track at least LOL. I also don't think it's realistic for most people to buy all the parts and assemble them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe many of the pieces are spot welded together. That would require fabrication skills and trial and error fit, since no one attempting this will have any kind of jig for assembling one. I love having the MFT now. It's a great design and is very useful for the way I use my truck. Too bad Ram has made it so difficult to upgrade to one by not making the complete tailgate assembly available for purchase. Maybe if you know someone with a body shop they could get their hands on one. :unsure:

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some pics. Hope they show the support structure and strikers well enough.

As mentioned, it fits the bed just like a standard tailgate.
IMG_20210518_151945.jpg IMG_20210518_152019.jpg IMG_20210518_152026.jpg
IMG_20210518_152017.jpg IMG_20210518_152030.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread