5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

metal shavings normal before first oil change?

mayamobile

Reaction score
First time RAM owner, Hemi+ e-torque. It is running great, and a pleasure to drive.

Checking oil with dipstick. I first noticed metal shavings at 300 miles. I thought oil filter would remove initial break-in wear material, but checked again at 1350 miles and there are more metal shavings (see picture, about 1/16 inch long slivers).

I was planning to get an oil change at 1500 miles as a precaution. Are metal shavings normal in a new engine, or should dealer take a look for something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• metal-shavings.jpg
    metal-shavings.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Sad
Reactions: c3k

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Holy crap. What’s going on that metal shavings are making it to your dipstick? I vote for changing it now and saving your oil and filter just in case.

schmidja

Reaction score
First time RAM owner, Hemi+ e-torque. It is running great, and a pleasure to drive.

Checking oil with dipstick. I first noticed metal shavings at 300 miles. I thought oil filter would remove initial break-in wear material, but checked again at 1350 miles and there are more metal shavings (see picture, about 1/16 inch long slivers).

I was planning to get an oil change at 1500 miles as a precaution. Are metal shavings normal in a new engine, or should dealer take a look for something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Just my opinion, but I'm guessing the only people that would say that's normal would be a Chrysler service center that has had too many warranty claims for a given timeframe. I'd be concerned about it. I'd feel sick and not even want to run the engine. That's just me though ...

jkm312

Reaction score
That isn't right. Time to get the dealership involved. Something is shredding itself.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
This is NOT normal. Oil should be clear of any metal debrie.

I changed the oil in my 2022 Hemi first time last month (12- 2021) at 3k miles, and the bottom of the catch pan was free of any metal when emptied. I also cut the oil filter open (it’s marked Factory Installed on bottom with white lettering) and cut the filter material from the filter housing to inspect. Looked very clean when spread open.

If it was me, I’d get it to the dealer now as a documented engine problem. Keep your photos of this problem and more.

I’d have them drain the engine oil into a separate pan so that any metal will settle and can be seen when oil is poured off., or pour it through a paint filter. You also want this Factory Original oil filter returned and they should drain it prior to giving it to you. Have someone that knows what they’re doing cut it and remove the filter material from the interior and inspect. Take photos of everything.

20211208_144733.jpg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is NOT normal. Oil should be clear of any metal debrie.

I changed the oil in my 2022 Hemi first time last month (12- 2021) at 3k miles, and the bottom of the catch pan was free of any metal when emptied. I also cut the oil filter open (it’s marked Factory Installed on bottom with white lettering) and cut the filter material from the filter housing to inspect. Looked very clean when spread open.

If it was me, I’d get it to the dealer now as a documented engine problem. Keep your photos of this problem and more.

I’d have them drain the engine oil into a separate pan so that any metal will settle and can be seen when oil is poured off., or pour it through a paint filter. You also want this Factory Original oil filter returned and they should drain it prior to giving it to you. Have someone that knows what they’re doing cut it and remove the filter material from the interior and inspect. Take photos of everything.

View attachment 116085
I did the same thing on my last truck at 1500mi (minus the paint strainer) and didn’t see one piece of metal under my lights. 👍

mayamobile

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the input. I will bring to the dealer ASAP and make sure to document what the oil filter has caught.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I'm guessing the only people that would say that's normal would be a Chrysler service center that has had too many warranty claims for a given timeframe. I'd be concerned about it. I'd feel sick and not even want to run the engine. That's just me though ...
WTF is this comment? There isn't a cap in warranty claims. I'm guessing you call corporate before talking to your servicing dealer.

Zig10

Reaction score
Not normal. This happened to me on a GM 3.6 in my old CTS. Turns out the timing chain was "reprofiling" itself. The dealer was surprised I saw the shavings, and told me it was nothing to worry about as the engine was "still breaking in". Less than 5000 miles later the timing chain snapped, the pistons met the valves in a very unproductive manor, and the heads had to be replaced.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the input. I will bring to the dealer ASAP and make sure to document what the oil filter has caught.
Here’s something else you need to be aware of. If enough foreign material is allowed to be trapped in the oil filter (and these oil filters are very small now) if they become plugged up, the By-pass relief valve opens allowing any unfiltered oil to enter the oiling system.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WTF is this comment? There isn't a cap in warranty claims. I'm guessing you call corporate before talking to your servicing dealer.
You would be surprised on what goes on in the service dept. And yes there is a limit if the dealer, in question, is in the "red" in warranty claims. I have been in service for 16 yrs, alot goes on behind closed doors when it comes to service and warranty claims. Any dealer in the "red" for warranty will slow down there warranty work in order to get back in the "green".

As far as the metal shavings, your dealer isn't going to do anything unless there is an issue with the engine or an actual problem. You walk in and say "hey I found this little 2mm piece of metal shaving in my dipstick", they probably are just going to tell you its not a big deal. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have an issue. If you are that concerned, change the oil and see what it looks like once drained. If you find a **** load of metal in there, then I would go to the dealer, but a few small specs, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You would be surprised on what goes on in the service dept. And yes there is a limit if the dealer, in question, is in the "red" in warranty claims. I have been in service for 16 yrs, alot goes on behind closed doors when it comes to service and warranty claims. Any dealer in the "red" for warranty will slow down there warranty work in order to get back in the "green".

As far as the metal shavings, your dealer isn't going to do anything unless there is an issue with the engine or an actual problem. You walk in and say "hey I found this little 2mm piece of metal shaving in my dipstick", they probably are just going to tell you its not a big deal. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have an issue. If you are that concerned, change the oil and see what it looks like once drained. If you find a **** load of metal in there, then I would go to the dealer, but a few small specs, I wouldn't worry abo
I have 25 years in the industry, last 12 at a Chrysler/Ram dealer. Not 1 time have we been told that we can't perform warranty repairs. Currently shop foreman at the dealer, I get to see alot of things. Saying "sorry we met our quota" isn't one of them.

I agree the metal, unless there is a problem they won't do a thing.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 25 years in the industry, last 12 at a Chrysler/Ram dealer. Not 1 time have we been told that we can't perform warranty repairs. Currently shop foreman at the dealer, I get to see alot of things. Saying "sorry we met our quota" isn't one of them.

I agree the metal, unless there is a problem they won't do a thing.
Never said anything about "not" doing warranty repairs, But the dealer will cut down on certain things to keep the warranty within range. This happens when warranty starts getting into the red. It all depends on the dealer and the volume of the dealer. I work for Mercedes and we are a high volume dealer. This may not apply to small dealers who don't have a large volume of work. Every dealer is monitored by the manufacture and will start questioning dealers when they do a certain amount of warranty work that other dealers within the area don't do. Or have an extreme amount of warranty repairs vs other dealers in the area. We no longer allow cars that come in from used car dealers that are still under warranty to be "reconditioned". That is a management decision. Cars that come in complaining of a slight oil leak that their mechanic noticed that is actually a little bit of oil sweating, we clean and release and tell customer to monitor the situation.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never said anything about "not" doing warranty repairs, But the dealer will cut down on certain things to keep the warranty within range. This happens when warranty starts getting into the red. It all depends on the dealer and the volume of the dealer. I work for Mercedes and we are a high volume dealer. This may not apply to small dealers who don't have a large volume of work. Every dealer is monitored by the manufacture and will start questioning dealers when they do a certain amount of warranty work that other dealers within the area don't do. Or have an extreme amount of warranty repairs vs other dealers in the area. We no longer allow cars that come in from used car dealers that are still under warranty to be "reconditioned". That is a management decision. Cars that come in complaining of a slight oil leak that their mechanic noticed that is actually a little bit of oil sweating, we clean and release and tell customer to monitor the situation.
I have only worked at domestic dealers, not once has it ever been a problem. I work for the largest dealer in our district. Could you imagine telling a Ram owner "sorry we can't fix your exhaust manifold leak". Might work like that in Mercedes land, but not anywhere else. You may be high in certain areas. For example we were high in manifold replacement on DS trucks. Mini audit and all the techs were missing is specs on the stories, non issue after that. We are still high in some areas, but again we are by far the largest dealer in out district. We also have premium dealer status, that's a big dealer for warranty standards.

Its not reconditioning a car if the car actually has problems. It's bad business and turning away money from your largest customer, Mercedes. It's like selling a used car on your lot with an open recall, bad business and giving away free money.

schmidja

Reaction score
Hmmm. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else. I will just say there's many reasons that service centers are pushed one way or another on how to handle potential warranty claims. There's often much more to the story. And it's not just service. Do you believe that RAM/FCA suggests the use of 5w20 for the hemi because it's the best oil for the engine life and performance? Or maybe it has something to do with meeting cafe standards and receiving subsidies by slightly increasing the mpg -- actually at the expense of engine life and problems for owners, calculated to be post-warranty. Are you aware that in the newer Ram 1500 owner's manual it now says that engine ticking sound is normal? Is it really normal? If your engine doesn't tick, then maybe that's abnormal?? I don't mean to slam the service centers, but again there are often ulterior motives that they are forced to deal with. As a result, there are unfortunately too many situations/scenarios where the service center will tell you "that's normal" or "that's not unusual" for reasons other than what you might expect. And worse, many people will blindly believe them. Have a good day!

Last edited:

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Several good opinions were posted here, and knowing this now, I would do this if it were me.

My documented complaint to the dealer service would be this. “Every time I remove the dip stick there are metal shavings on it”. I would want this complaint and a documented response on the service order to this complaint. If they say this is normal, they need to put this response on the service order in writing.

I would ask to have the oil changed and provide them with a container capable of holding at least 2 gallons of motor oil and be sealed. I would ask for the oil to be drained into this container directly from the engine when removed if possible. I would also ask for the return of the original oil filter.

At home, I would shake the container well prior and straining this oil through a paint filter. I’d also cut the filter housing, remove the filter material, inspect and document everything.

mayamobile

Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses.

Tech at dealer did not see shavings on dip stick (I guess because they take a while to settle?)
I requested oil filter for inspection, but service dept missed the request and discarded filter.
Service report ``found fine particles of metal in the oil. This is expected as the engine is still breaking in. The factory uses a fine graphite for assembly of components.''
Engine is sounding fine and there are no diagnostic codes.
Overall, the dealer was responsive, but nothing is broken to fix.

I checked dip stick after sitting overnight. I did not see any more metal shavings. So hopefully oil and filter change has removed bulk of initial debris. I will monitor closely to see if shavings reappear in the next 1000 miles.

NRitland2

Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses.

Tech at dealer did not see shavings on dip stick (I guess because they take a while to settle?)
I requested oil filter for inspection, but service dept missed the request and discarded filter.
Service report ``found fine particles of metal in the oil. This is expected as the engine is still breaking in. The factory uses a fine graphite for assembly of components.''
Engine is sounding fine and there are no u missed codes.
Overall, the dealer was responsive, but nothing is broken to fix.

I checked dip stick after sitting overnight. I did not see any more metal shavings. So hopefully oil and filter change has removed bulk of initial debris. I I will monitor closely to see if shavings reappear in the next 1000 miles.
"missed the request”. that’s frustrating

Users who are viewing this thread