5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

metal shavings normal before first oil change?

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
The only thing the McLube jockey Tech saw was the next text on his phone while changing your oil as it generally goes into a mass collection funnel when drained. Lost the filter…..sure. Imho, this sounds like the service adviser or manager filled in the tech follow up. Visual fine metal in engine oil is not normal whether new or 100k miles. There is NO Graphite in engine oil much less used for the assembly of engines. I worked in an engine / transmission manufacturing and assembly plant for over 30 yrs.

If you look at the oil samples from https://pqia.org/ Graphite is Not listed in oil. Same as the oil samples I send out from my race car engine, Graphite is not on the list.

With any luck, the oil service indicator was reset when your truck was returned. If it were me, I’d definitely follow the oil service indicator now on when to do next oil change or 10,000 miles (16,000 km), 12 months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first as the service manual states. Changing it earlier won’t do anything better or worse for you now imo. Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread