5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet The Range Extending 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Pickup

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
After doing more reading on the Ramcharger, I've got two outstanding technical-ish questions that I guess we'll need to wait till next summer or so to get the answers to:
  • Will it have a heat pump or standard HVAC?
  • Does the ICE generator kick on under normal (non-heavy load) driving conditions when there is battery power or just when the battery is depleted?
    • Specifically, I'm thinking of my Sorento PHEV vs the Rav4 Prime--in the Sorento, the ICE kicks in past a certain point when you depress the gas pedal, regardless of how much charge is in the battery even when in EV mode vs hybrid mode, while my understanding is that when the Prime is in EV mode, it will not fire up the ICE even when flooring it

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After doing more reading on the Ramcharger, I've got two outstanding technical-ish questions that I guess we'll need to wait till next summer or so to get the answers to:
  • Will it have a heat pump or standard HVAC?
  • Does the ICE generator kick on under normal (non-heavy load) driving conditions when there is battery power or just when the battery is depleted?
    • Specifically, I'm thinking of my Sorento PHEV vs the Rav4 Prime--in the Sorento, the ICE kicks in past a certain point when you depress the gas pedal, regardless of how much charge is in the battery even when in EV mode vs hybrid mode, while my understanding is that when the Prime is in EV mode, it will not fire up the ICE even when flooring it
Everything I've seen states the gas engine doesn't provide anything but battery recharging. Doesn't make sense that the ICE would kick in when depressing the gas unless the battery needs to be charged so whatever % the computer is set to turn it on. All the HP and torque is provided all the time through the electric motors.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Everything I've seen states the gas engine doesn't provide anything but battery recharging. Doesn't make sense that the ICE would kick in when depressing the gas unless the battery needs to be charged so whatever % the computer is set to turn it on. All the HP and torque is provided all the time through the electric motors.
From what I've read, the ICE will also deliver power directly to the EV motors when they need more than what they can get straight from the batteries.

The use case scenarios I've seen for that in a few articles is when towing a heavy load in harsh conditions, but everything I've seen has all been based off the same press releases and press info from Ram, which is skimpy on technical details.

What I'm getting at is can you drive the full ~150 miles of EV range without the ICE generator kicking in under normal, non-heavy load driving conditions? Given the size of the EV motors and the battery pack, I would guess yes, but I still want confirmation from Ram that it will work that way.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What I'm getting at is can you drive the full ~150 miles of EV range without the ICE generator kicking in under normal, non-heavy load driving conditions? Given the size of the EV motors and the battery pack, I would guess yes, but I still want confirmation from Ram that it will work that way.
That's a great question. I'll admit I've been assuming you will be able to do that, but have yet to see it in writing anywhere. If you can't do that the appeal of this truck will go down for me a bit.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ramcharger drive modes straight from the ram website -

"Manage your truck’s energy and performance. Select between Electric Mode, E-Save Mode, and Eco Mode, and additionally choose Charge-Depleting Mode, Battery Hold Mode, eAWD Mode, or eSport Mode to optimize energy consumption and to enhance vehicle performance."

Yes, under harsh conditions the generator will send power directly to the motors. Watching the video tfl did is helpful. You can also read the transcript on YouTube.

1:15:30 he discusses drive modes.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ramcharger drive modes straight from the ram website -

"Manage your truck’s energy and performance. Select between Electric Mode, E-Save Mode, and Eco Mode, and additionally choose Charge-Depleting Mode, Battery Hold Mode, eAWD Mode, or eSport Mode to optimize energy consumption and to enhance vehicle performance."

Yes, under harsh conditions the generator will send power directly to the motors. Watching the video tfl did is helpful. You can also read the transcript on YouTube.

1:15:30 he discusses drive modes.
Smart. Avoids the weight and complexity of a mechanical connection between ICE and wheels while allowing battery-driven performance to be exceeded when necessary.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Ramcharger will come with it's own weight and complexity via electronics and software

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Ramcharger will come with it's own weight and complexity via electronics and software
Sure, but this approach ditches the transmission, driveshaft, differentials, and transfer case. Fewer driveline wear parts. To me, it’s a “6 of one, half dozen of the other” tradeoff that yields better power, economy, and range.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the concept of the Ram Charger, just have to justify the need over a standard ice truck. Both have engines, one has an engine plus batteries that adds cost and an extra 2,000 lbs. of weight.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Sure, but this approach ditches the transmission, driveshaft, differentials, and transfer case. Fewer driveline wear parts. To me, it’s a “6 of one, half dozen of the other” tradeoff that yields better power, economy, and range.
Those are mechanical things that can be repaired and or rebuilt. Kind of like there used to be TV repairmen but now we just throw them away and buy another. The next generation of vehicles will bring new meaning to the "ghost in the machine", won't be as easy to throw away though

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Those are mechanical things that can be repaired and or rebuilt. Kind of like there used to be TV repairmen but now we just throw them away and buy another. The next generation of vehicles will bring new meaning to the "ghost in the machine", won't be as easy to throw away though
I have a feeling working on your own vehicle will be a thing of the past if EVs ever take over the world. Guess u could work on the V6 of the ram charger tho.

Idk what they will do with all those millions bad batteries either.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I wonder if this truck qualifies for the EV tax credits? Technically it's an electric vehicle. That alone makes it a done deal!

Scram1500

Reaction score

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks like the upper trim levels won't be eligible for the tax credits. It's just a guess since no pricing has been released yet AFAIK, but my guess is a fully loaded Laramie Ramcharger and higher would be DQ'd since you can opt out a Laramie to $80k for 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread