5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet The Range Extending 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Pickup

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Meet The Range Extending 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Pickup​

Onboard Generator Will Eliminate Range Anxiety and Has A 14,000 lb. Towing Capacity...​

2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger. (Ram). - 23.jpeg

Ram has unveiled its updated 2025 Ram 1500 (DT) lineup, featuring the all-new Ram 1500 Ramcharger. Previously referred to as the Ram 1500 REV XR, this model represents a significant advancement in electric pickup technology, addressing current market challenges.

Reverse

Reaction score
This would be the one Ram to stay away from for the first model year!

Interesting concept, but overall mpg is 20? That's probably close to the new inline-6? I still don't see a rational business case for the all-electric or hybrid (sorry, range-extending) variants of (Ram) trucks.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This would be the one Ram to stay away from for the first model year!

Interesting concept, but overall mpg is 20? That's probably close to the new inline-6? I still don't see a rational business case for the all-electric or hybrid (sorry, range-extending) variants of (Ram) trucks.
I had similar thoughts. Definitely impressive tech but I wonder about the reliability aspect.

Where did you find the mpg? I couldn't find it in the article linked. That was something I was curious about. I imagine it'll be pretty case by case. Since they mentioned 50 miles of all electric range with 10 min of charging I'm assuming if you or a business have short commutes you're gonna exponentially increase your mpg.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very sad that they abused the Ramcharger nameplate on an EV. Ford did the same with the Lightning though.

Pros: Ramcharger is PHEV. That is hands down the best way to do electrification.

Cons: It'll cost an absolute fortune.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, we've always said, "Why hasn't anyone done a diesel electric hybrid like on a locomotive, but smaller??" and it looks like that's what Ram was thinking too, except they're using gasoline for public perception reasons. This truck has potential to be amazing.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For sure. I'm excited. This may very well be the truck or atleast powertrain options I look for in my next truck.

Idk that I'll ever get rid of my current truck. Who knows what kind of money the last v8s will be able to command - thinking similarly to how the 70s-90s trucks are selling today.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s a step in the right direction. Better than a regular EV. I don’t know about the 130kw on board generator. Those size generators are bigger than the truck itself. If it really was that big, it would be able to run the whole house, not just 7kw for lights and a fridge. Not sure where they get that number from.

Example of a 130kw

1699370933336.png

Reverse

Reaction score
I had similar thoughts. Definitely impressive tech but I wonder about the reliability aspect.

Where did you find the mpg? I couldn't find it in the article linked. That was something I was curious about. I imagine it'll be pretty case by case. Since they mentioned 50 miles of all electric range with 10 min of charging I'm assuming if you or a business have short commutes you're gonna exponentially increase your mpg.
20mpg was mentioned in a video I watched this morning:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's 20-ish mpg only if the engine is running for the duration of miles driven.
Which makes a little sense, because this thing probably weighs 8 tons.
I bet the pentastar would have to run a decent clip to replenish a depleted Ramcharger, at least while towing.

But you'd only consider this platform if the majority of your driving could be done all electric (~100 miles or less/day), making your lifetime mpg bonkers high.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking that also about a v6 charging rate while towing. There is no magical addition of energy, but you do have the converting efficiency loss. I would rather have my own charger and stop 5 minutes for fuel and be able to park anywhere to recharge for an hour tho. Might be odd in ******* Barrels parking lot with a v6 at full speed charging while you're inside eating lunch :ROFLMAO:, especially if some yahoo cut the mufflers off.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking that also about a v6 charging rate while towing. There is no magical addition of energy, but you do have the converting efficiency loss. I would rather have my own charger and stop 5 minutes for fuel and be able to park anywhere to recharge for an hour tho. Might be odd in ******* Barrels parking lot with a v6 at full speed charging while you're inside eating lunch :ROFLMAO:, especially if some yahoo cut the mufflers off.
ha! you got censored for saying "CxRxAxCxKxExR".

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I think the styling is superb, and the engineering is probably pretty amazing, but it is FCA build quality that concerns me. I want it to work, but the cost will be something to see as well.

Is "orange peel" paint standard, or a low-drag "golf ball dimple" finish option?

1699383219498.png

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Is this still considered a 1/2 ton with 32 lug nuts?
I remember GM had 6lug gmt400’s with 2500 badges. And Ford had mid/late 90’s f250’s that looked like f150’s with seven lugs for a while. Weird.

I think the 32 lugs on the new Ramcharger are a reference to the number of hours per week that the UAW wants to work under their new contract.

Users who are viewing this thread