5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet The Range Extending 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Pickup

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I remember GM had 6lug gmt400’s with 2500 badges. And Ford had mid/late 90’s f250’s that looked like f150’s with seven lugs for a while. Weird.

I think the 32 lugs on the new Ramcharger are a reference to the number of hours per week that the UAW wants to work under their new contract.
Yup. I had one

NJT3

Reaction score
Is that 20mpg also include the electric charge only range? If it does I get that with my v8hemi etorque now... Maximizing Cruise control..

What's the point then?

Also not a fan of turbos... most people don't realize to get the stated mpg you have to use mid grade or premium gas to get those numbers. So $$ gas

NJT3

Reaction score
Ok better numbers understanding from CNBC

"Stellantis estimates the range of the Ramcharger to be up to 690 miles, including up to 145 miles powered by a 92 kilowatt-hour battery when fully charged without the extended-range power from the gas engine and 130 kilowatt electric generator."

So NJ commute to say NYC or Jersey City round trip will push the max on the electric side when in traffic so nightly recharge charge on 3day in office days but without fear of having to regas in bad areas on way home....

Id would have liked to see the diesel locomotive idea.. or at very least 200+ on the electric only side of things... But good on weekends for an outing 75mi round trip

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's an interesting concept you get the benefits of electric drive without the range issues. The biggest thing will be the cost and reliability of having two systems both gas and electric.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
It's an interesting concept you get the benefits of electric drive without the range issues. The biggest thing will be the cost and reliability of having two systems both gas and electric.
Right. I heard some commentators mock the choice of the 3.6 for the generator but it’s a proven, reliable mill. I think it makes more sense than a hurricane.
Hopefully FCA’s experience with Jeep hybrids will help them nail it the first time. I’d love for this to be a hit.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The important thing to note with the MPG as well is that the engine WILL NOT be moving the truck. Theren is no mechanical linkage between the engine and the wheels. It is simply a generator to charge the batteries so they can move the wheels. So I'd imagine it will be running at it's most efficient RPM. Assuming a 26 gallon tank you're looking at right at 21 MPG if you're taking off from a full charge and a full tank with no charging in between. 23.5 MPG if they stick a 23 gallon tank on it. We may be surprised to find the tank is even smaller than what's on our trucks due to the footprint of the batteries.

NJT3

Reaction score
Some more info from the verge..

"On gas, the truck is only capable of 174 horsepower — but with a charged battery, Stellantis says it’s capable of 663 peak output."

"Stellantis is still one of the holdouts on adopting Tesla’s winning NACS charging port."
Hopefully they give up by launch to open up more charging options... It's really a done deal who won this already.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.... Assuming a 26 gallon tank you're looking at right at 21 MPG if you're taking off from a full charge and a full tank with no charging in between. 23.5 MPG if they stick a 23 gallon tank on it. ...
Wut?

NJT3

Reaction score
Yeh it's really going to depend on your driving habits and cost of vehicle...as one of ponts is less cost to mpg...with electric.. If you driving far everyday or have to tow a lot every week maybe better off with competitor with 24mpg standard ice or better diesel.

I'll have to do a better breakdown but quick math I'd save $8 on full v8HemiEtq (23gal) with 3days commute full recharge each night...

So does that $8 savings translate into vehicle cost savings? We'll have to see.

For me when I purchased my 2021 etq it was no brainier... The V8 vs V8etq was only $210 more... At 1mpg extra range it paid for itself within 2-3 months

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had similar thoughts. Definitely impressive tech but I wonder about the reliability aspect.

Where did you find the mpg? I couldn't find it in the article linked. That was something I was curious about. I imagine it'll be pretty case by case. Since they mentioned 50 miles of all electric range with 10 min of charging I'm assuming if you or a business have short commutes you're gonna exponentially increase your mpg.
I really don't know why more manufactures don't go this rout, as it makes more sense than all electric. This would be one EV I could get behind the wheel of.
Wife's Prius with around town and occasional 60 mile trips stays at about 150+mpg. An eleven gal. tank last her a couple of months, so for most of us it could conceivably keep us in the 50+mpg range. Will be interesting to see real world mpg.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score

grooves12

Reaction score
Some more info from the verge..

"On gas, the truck is only capable of 174 horsepower — but with a charged battery, Stellantis says it’s capable of 663 peak output."

"Stellantis is still one of the holdouts on adopting Tesla’s winning NACS charging port."
Hopefully they give up by launch to open up more charging options... It's really a done deal who won this already.

The Verge isn't a automotive resource and their statement makes no sense: "On gas, the truck is only capable of 174 horsepower"

The truck will ALWAYS be capable of 663 horsepower, because that is what the electric motors are rated at. The gas engine might be rated at 174 hp, but that is meaningless, because it isn't driving the wheels, it is turning a generator.

Users who are viewing this thread