5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS.. on or off?

bocco

Reaction score
I leave it on. If you want to disable it just hit the + on your steering wheel when you hit 8th gear.
Does this turn it off permanently? And if so how do you turn it back on?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does this turn it off permanently? And if so how do you turn it back on?
It turns back on when you turn the truck off, or hit the gear buttons again to disable gear selection and put back to normal. Not permanent by any means.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Done a bit of research here and there, seems like the opinion is split 50/50. Some think MDS will cause engine failure in the future and some say it doesnt. Do you guys drive with mds on or do you just buy an adapter to turn it off?
I've been letting it do its own thing for the most part, but wish there was a manual "on" button. I generally dislike things that take control away from the user.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I leave MDS off until the oil temperature reaches 180+ then I turn it back on. Make sure you use good oil/filter and change at the right intervals. MDS is activated by oil pressure through tiny holes in the lifters so clean oil is key to allowing it to operate as fast as its it needs to. I make it a challenge to drive with the 'eco' light on as much as i can. Surprising how much it can do on 4 cyl.

jman307

Reaction score
I recently had rodent damage in my engine bay and they got the MDS solenoid wiring under the intake manifold so now I have a permanent engine check light on and the obvious MDS is disabled by the truck's computer. Dealer is quoting $1000 due to the location of the issue and maintenance involved to repair. So, I personally don't care for the MDS and I'm thinking of getting a tune to disable the MDS system. My question is will a tune also turn off the check light once MDS has been removed/turned off by the tune? Thanks!

Reaction score
i got the pulsar to turn off mds but and i think it was a waste of money for me. i play around with it. in performance mode it down shifts to easy IMO, i haven't towed with it, i also find myself running in economy mode mds on and stock with mds on. i've been thinking about selling it, you could just use the petal commander and have the same effect. i have at least 3 friends with 4th gens that have over 200k on them have not changed anything on them and are still going strong never had a problem except for broken manifold bolts.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
i got the pulsar to turn off mds but and i think it was a waste of money for me. i play around with it. in performance mode it down shifts to easy IMO, i haven't towed with it, i also find myself running in economy mode mds on and stock with mds on. i've been thinking about selling it, you could just use the petal commander and have the same effect. i have at least 3 friends with 4th gens that have over 200k on them have not changed anything on them and are still going strong never had a problem except for broken manifold bolts.
Mds and a pedal commander have nothing in common.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On my truck, in economy, I averaged about 1.5mpg better than stock around town, and at freeway speeds got better MPG in performance mode. Also was 1/2 second faster in the 1/4 mile in performance mode. It does what it claims. That was when I had stock tires/suspension. once I lifted the truck and put 35" tires on, I dont get the mpg improvement in economy aymore. The pedal commander isn't going to do that for you.

Reaction score
Mds and a pedal commander have nothing in common.
what are you talking about i did not say they did?
my comparison was between the pulsar in performance mode and a petal commander.

Reaction score
On my truck, in economy, I averaged about 1.5mpg better than stock around town, and at freeway speeds got better MPG in performance mode. Also was 1/2 second faster in the 1/4 mile in performance mode. It does what it claims. That was when I had stock tires/suspension. once I lifted the truck and put 35" tires on, I don't get the mpg improvement in economy anymore. The pedal commander isn't going to do that for you.
when i was doing my research your posting came up in google that is actually what led me to this forum. i did a few hundred miles before i got the pulsar so i may be getting better MPG's than i would without it. i mainly got to to turn off the MDS on demand and the throttle is way more responsive in perf mode

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
when i was doing my research your posting came up in google that is actually what led me to this forum. i did a few hundred miles before i got the pulsar so i may be getting better MPG's than i would without it. i mainly got to to turn off the MDS on demand and the throttle is way more responsive in perf mode
Yeah, the more responsive throttle is what causes it to downshift sooner in hills. But the truck always tries to hold the set cruise speed more than any other vehicle I have driven. My wife's Traverse will drop 2-3mph before downshifting to try and catch up. Same with goin downhill. It will not downshift to engine brake and gold speed. I like these features in the Ram that keep you within 1 mph of set cruise speed.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
what are you talking about i did not say they did?
my comparison was between the pulsar in performance mode and a petal commander.
Not sure then.
This thread is MDS on or off so I assumed you were referring to that.
Also the person directly above you was talking about disabling MDS, which Pedal Commander can't do.

PatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
I threw an intake and muffler on mine, so that's the only way I can tell it's even doing anything. As far as MPG, it certainly doesn't seem to help at all.

Ready Go

Reaction score
When alone, I do "Tow/Haul" mode which is then MDS/ECO-OFF..and higher rev points, "rev-match" downshifts, and more fun-ON!!

When wife's along, basic MDS/ECO-ON..and all the fun stuff-OFF.

I may do a Pulsar eventually to be able to toggle those on/off and get some performance upgrade, but might just go to full Diablosport Trinity2 & unlocked PCM..as I want to change to Kooks or AR LT headers at some point..and HHP (High Horse Performance) does some very good remote tunes with just your datalogged info. They are really good/easy to work with and have great support.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never noticed MDS turning on or off so see no reason to disable it. The eco light on my cluster was turned off in the settings when I got to the truck. I turned it on for a while and noticed no change except a visual indication on the dash when the system turned on and off.

I drove my 2017 with MDS for 7 year and never even knew it had MDS until I just went and looked at the original window sticker and saw it said "5.7-Liter V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine".

As far as oil meeting the MS-6395 standard, there is no need for an oil manufacture to get any kind of certification before they claim it meets the standard. The standard is readily available and any manufacture of oil will be able to read it and determine if their oil meets the standard. Chrysler cannot legally void your warranty unless they can prove the oil you use does not meet their published standard AND this is the reason for the malfunction. That's a nearly impossible burden of proof and why dealers it doesn't take much push back for dealers to reconsider balking at warranty coverage. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 provides strong consumer protections.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
....That's a nearly impossible burden of proof and why dealers it doesn't take much push back for dealers to reconsider balking at warranty coverage. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 provides strong consumer protections.

True by law, however you can't force a dealership to work on your vehicle. In reality, they will stick their hands in their pocket and tell you to prove it, which means taking them to court to recover costs. Which can take months if not years.

Dealerships have leverage in that they know you can't force them to do something unless you take that step. They are hoping you don't have the time or money to fight it.

Users who are viewing this thread