5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS.. on or off?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True by law, however you can't force a dealership to work on your vehicle. In reality, they will stick their hands in their pocket and tell you to prove it, which means taking them to court to recover costs. Which can take months if not years.

Dealerships have leverage in that they know you can't force them to do something unless you take that step. They are hoping you don't have the time or money to fight it.

You don't have to force them. It's in their best interests to take care of you and if they are found to be in violation of the act it exposes them to huge punitive damages. All the fear of voiding a warranty is just an irrational fear that has no basis in reality. It's actually the consumer that has the most leverage.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I have experienced and I know people who experienced quite the opposite when they try to bring something in after a modification that had to be proven and the dealership just said no, they had to be taken to court.

There are probably just as many examples of this situation than people actually getting the dealer to do it, which honestly is not easy if they believe that you're mod actually cause the issue.

Unless you have enough followers on some social media platform, it's usually pretty hard to shame a dealership in public to actually fix your car, assuming you're actually in the right anyways.

A bad review on Yelp isn't usually going to be enough.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You don't have to force them. It's in their best interests to take care of you and if they are found to be in violation of the act it exposes them to huge punitive damages. All the fear of voiding a warranty is just an irrational fear that has no basis in reality. It's actually the consumer that has the most leverage.
The dealership is not in violation, the manufacter who has the warranty is.
Dealerships are privately owned and operated.
They can tell you to go screw for warranty work that is covered if they really want to, and they do frequently. They are NOT the providers of the warranty.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have experienced and I know people who experienced quite the opposite when they try to bring something in after a modification that had to be proven and the dealership just said no, they had to be taken to court.

There are probably just as many examples of this situation than people actually getting the dealer to do it, which honestly is not easy if they believe that you're mod actually cause the issue.

Unless you have enough followers on some social media platform, it's usually pretty hard to shame a dealership in public to actually fix your car, assuming you're actually in the right anyways.

A bad review on Yelp isn't usually going to be enough.

You are talking about the extremely rare example. Only a microscopic fraction of Ram owners modify their trucks beyond things like running boards, mud flaps and tonneau covers.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealership is not in violation, the manufacter who has the warranty is.
Dealerships are privately owned and operated.
They can tell you to go screw for warranty work that is covered if they really want to, and they do frequently. They are NOT the providers of the warranty.

More irrelevant and fabricated nonsense. The dealer is the agent for the manufacture and the first step in the warranty process. I don't believe for a second that dealers "frequently deny warranty coverage; I believe it is extremely rare.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You are talking about the extremely rare example. Only a microscopic fraction of Ram owners modify their trucks beyond things like running boards, mud flaps and tonneau covers.
Oil too right? Wasn't that your point earlier?

Also, who cares about the percentage of the main population? We are talking about this on a forum aren't we, how many of the people here talk about doing modifications besides running boards and mud flaps right?

Suspension, wheels and tires, oils, intakes, headers, exhaust, filter relocation kits, radios, alarm systems, various tuners, peddle commanders, etc.

All things that can affect your warranty. My point I was making is that the Magnuson act doesn't mean a get out of jail free card with a dealer. The "they have to prove" is in reality "you have to prove" Because again, they are not going to touch your vehicle if they don't believe they have to.

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, who cares about the percentage of the main population? We are talking about this on a forum aren't we, how many of the people here talk about doing modifications besides running boards and mud flaps right?

LOL! People who don't want a distorted view of reality will focus beyond the microscopic fraction of Ram owners who actively participate in this forum. The belief that Ram owners are frequently having warranty service denied due to a modification is just nonsense; it will be an extremely rare example.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
LOL! People who don't want a distorted view of reality will focus beyond the microscopic fraction of Ram owners who actively participate in this forum. The belief that Ram owners are frequently having warranty service denied due to a modification is just nonsense; it will be an extremely rare example.

Distorted view? No one is arguing that point, no one is saying this is a reality of the majority. We are just mentioning it's a reality for the few enthusiast here who do mod their vehicles.

The majority of the people I know mod their vehicles, as do a lot on this forum. So talking about warranties and how they apply to our reality is very valid. It's not extremely rare with us, rather common occurrence. For you it doesn't apply, so not sure what your point is?

Yes, if you look at it at the lens of the whole population of owners, of course it's rare, but that's not what we are taking about here. You think guys that lower and mod their Honda Civics, which is a very small minority of the population that own them think differently among their hobby and group? Or Mustang, M3, Jeep Wrangler, Tacoma owners, etc?

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Distorted view? I'm talking about my view and those I'm with, along with the community on this forum. What is going on with us, not the distorted view of the rest of the population, which doesn't do what I do.

The majority of the people I know mod their trucks, as do a lot on this forum. So talking about warranties and how they apply to our reality is very valid. It's not extremely rare with us, rather common occurrence.

Yes, if you look at it at the lens of the whole population of owners, of course it's rare, but that's not what we are taking about here. You think guys that lower and mod their Honda Civics, which is a very small minority of the population that own them think differently among their hobby and group? Or Mustang, M3, Jeep Wrangler owners, etc?

Distorted view absolutely. That's exactly what tunnel vision gives you.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Distorted view absolutely. That's exactly what tunnel vision gives you.

OK, you clearly weren't able to argue your original point, so keep sticking with an argument no one here made so you have something to cling on to.

Again, no one said it's an issue affecting most people, since most people don't mod their vehicles. But for those that do, don't expect the Magnusson law to protect you without having to prove it first. That's my point, please say something about that.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe just a OCD thing for me.. but I turn it off when I first drive the truck (cold start). I will usually turn it back on once the truck is upto temp. Mine will literally turn MDS on while going through my little town at 25 mph, when the truck isn't even over 125F yet.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New members are funny.

If he took the time to use the search bar at the top he would see many instances of things he says don’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet you can't seem to provide a link to a single thread where an evil dealer actually denied warranty coverage when it was questionable that what the person did caused the defect.

I searched using several terms related to denial of warranty and it only returned a bunch of paranoid hand wringing threads warning people that if you did X the dealer would void your warranty; yet no actual instances of a dealer actually denying a warranty.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, you clearly weren't able to argue your original point, so keep sticking with an argument no one here made so you have something to cling on to.

My original point was quite clear and accurate. I have no clue what you think I need to defend.

Again, no one said it's an issue affecting most people, since most people don't mod their vehicles. But for those that do, don't expect the Magnusson law to protect you without having to prove it first. That's my point, please say something about that.

I didn't say "most" but you in fact said just as many were denied after a mod and I believe that is an unsupported extreme exaggeration.

Your highly exaggerated claimed:
"I have experienced and I know people who experienced quite the opposite when they try to bring something in after a modification that had to be proven and the dealership just said no, they had to be taken to court.

There are probably just as many examples of this situation than people actually getting the dealer to do it, which honestly is not easy if they believe that you're mod actually cause the issue."

I think you are confusing posts where someone expresses a fear of having a warranty claim denied with actual instances of having a warranty claim denied.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My original point was quite clear and accurate. I have no clue what you think I need to defend.

I didn't say "most" but you in fact said just as many were denied after a mod and I believe that is an unsupported extreme exaggeration.

Your highly exaggerated claimed:
"I have experienced and I know people who experienced quite the opposite when they try to bring something in after a modification that had to be proven and the dealership just said no, they had to be taken to court.

There are probably just as many examples of this situation than people actually getting the dealer to do it, which honestly is not easy if they believe that you're mod actually cause the issue."

I think you are confusing posts where someone expresses a fear of having a warranty claim denied with actual instances of having a warranty claim denied.

I said the dealership isn't going to be forced to work on your vehicle if they don't want to or believe they shouldn't, and there is nothing short of a law suit or shaming them on a public forum that will get that to happen. What was your argument to this? It's not the majority? Sure, I agree with that, since most people don't mod.

Exaggeration is your opinion, it's not for me personally of course. I said I've seen it happen to me and a lot of my friends, and that's really going to be the SOP of most dealerships regarding mods.

Again, what is your argument to this other than it doesn't happen a lot because few people mod? If that's all you have, then I'll agree to that.

Last edited:

Joe2019Ram1500

Reaction score
At least, from what I've seen from a couple of mechanics, MDS does not have much influence on the failure rate of the HEMI engines, and for whatever reason, the idea that MDS is causing hemi tick still survives. For that reason alone, I just leave it on
Some people say "I want all 8 cylinders! I want 8 cylinder power all the time!" just doesn't really make much sense. If I don't need to burn extra gas and it doesn't hurt the engine, let the engine operate as designed. If you're actually worried about failures, then install the hellcat oil pump and hellcat lifters.

Users who are viewing this thread