5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS.. on or off?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've wondered about this. I can turn mine off with HP Tuners. But since a MDS failure is usually the lifter roller locking up, I don't see how disabling MDS will prevent that.

I'm running Mobil 1 oil, I figure that will do more to keep the issue at bay then disabling MDS.
FYI mobile 1 might void warranty. You are supposed to run what it says in the paneers manual. It may not matter depending on the dealer. Just thought I’d let you know.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Owners manual doesn’t specify what brand to use. They specify a standard that the oil must meet. You can buy Amazon brand oil that meets that standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Owners manual doesn’t specify what brand to use. They specify a standard that the oil must meet. You can buy Amazon brand oil that meets that standard

Correct. That’s what I was referring to. I have been running mobile 1 for years. When I went to my ram, I couldn’t find one of their versions that meets the standards, even though it’s a great product.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Nice to know they finally met the FCA standard. Thanks

Yeah, not sure when they finally started meeting it or more likely certified for it.

I'm been a big fan of Shell Rotella Gas Truck, but it's doubled in price, finally joining the PUP crowd, can still pick that up for $25 for gallon jug.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
not sure I’m over thinking it but was reading on their site again. Says it’s recommended for MS-6395 but not listed under meets or exceeds. Kind of confusing to me. It’s prob good tho.
E9B325DC-80DE-4AA4-9818-D75DFAAFA5D4.jpeg

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yeah, not sure when they finally started meeting it or more likely certified for it.

I'm been a big fan of Shell Rotella Gas Truck, but it's doubled in price, finally joining the PUP crowd, can still pick that up for $25 for gallon jug.
Yep, they probably decided to get the Chrysler certification. Good to know because I can get Mobil 1 locally. I have to order PUP online.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I leave mine on all the time for the simple fact that's how it was designed and I'm putting my faith in the engineers who designed it. With that being said I have the etorque system and 3.92 gearing fwiw. I'd say I never notice a power or performance difference w eco vs normal (obviously how they designed the conditions to engage it) but I do notice a slight drone at some RPMs. I would say 50% of the time I will notice eco mode disengage. It's almost like I can hear the cylinders fire for the first time when they engage again. Typically when I hear these things it's on the back roads to my house around 40-55mph.

Speaking of Shell Rotella Gas Truck - I'm down to my last two oil changes from that haul we bought 2 years ago :ROFLMAO:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of Shell Rotella Gas Truck - I'm down to my last two oil changes from that haul we bought 2 years ago :ROFLMAO:
I haven't been able to find any since then, and wasn't even able to get any at the time. Thought I finally got some, but the store said the inventory was incorrect, so gave me jugs of Mobil1 Truck/SUV 5w-20 for the same price

Ratchet

Reaction score
Around town I turn it off as it's very flat where I live. Nobody here knows how to maintain a constant speed. It's annoying and causes a lazy throttle response. Outside of the city or while on the highway, I generally let the engine do whatever it feels like.

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
If you purchase the Truck and SUV 5W-20 it meets the fiat/Chrysler specifications.
7093e7281faba3e3dfd7471404be86a6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Reaction score

They don't specify which brand to use but they give a shout out to Pennzoil and Shell

Screenshot_20220610-113341_Samsung Notes~2.jpg

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
That's because Chrysler and Shell, which owns Pennzoil, have a relationship. All Chrysler vehicles are factory filled with Pennzoil products.
yup

"In 2002, Shell acquired Pennzoil-Quaker State Company to become the No. 1 lubricants marketer in the USA. Pennzoil motor oil has been one of the leading motor oil brands in the USA since 1985."

Users who are viewing this thread