5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MDS drone and vibration follow up

Jaff37

Reaction score
I seen quite a few threads about issues with MDS drone and vibration Big Horn owners encountered.

The owners who have took their truck back to the dealers, was the dealer able to rectify the issue?

I feel mine every time “ECO mode” comes on. The vibration is rather annoying. Other then this one issue it is really a nice truck.

TYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I seen quite a few threads about issues with MDS drone and vibration Big Horn owners encountered.

The owners who have took their truck back to the dealers, was the dealer able to rectify the issue?

I feel mine every time “ECO mode” comes on. The vibration is rather annoying. Other then this one issue it is really a nice truck.

TYI

Hello Jaff37,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you are encountering with the vibration concern. We suggest having your dealer inspect this concern if you have not done so already. Please let us know via private message if you decide to have your dealer look into this or if you need additional assistance.
Laura
RamCares

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
I just noticed the MDS vibration for the first time today. Felt it in my seat. Truck has almost 7k miles. However: here’s the weird thing: yesterday I filled-up with 89 octane for the 1st time (instead of the 87 I’ve been using). Today, the eco light started coming on for the first time! I didn’t even know it was there. I could tell, by sound, when the eco light came on and MDS kicked in (vs when the eco light came on apparently just because the instant mpg was high). I’m not sure what’s going on, maybe someone does? Questions: is the MDS operation a function of fuel octane?? Is the eco light supposed to come on sometimes even if MDS hasn’t kicked in? For certain, when MDS was on, I felt a vibration. As soon as I turned MDS off (using the gear limiter trick I read about in a different thread) - no vibration. The vibration wasn’t actually terrible, but certainly noticeable. Vibration or not, I love my new Ram truck. Its way, way better than the Fix Or Repair Daily it replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jaff37

Reaction score
Hello Jaff37,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you are encountering with the vibration concern. We suggest having your dealer inspect this concern if you have not done so already. Please let us know via private message if you decide to have your dealer look into this or if you need additional assistance.
Laura
RamCares

Taking the truck to dealer 11/20 to look at my concerns. Thank had another dealer look at issue and was not able to resolve. However, the truck had another issue and was fixed.

RamCares

Reaction score
Taking the truck to dealer 11/20 to look at my concerns. Thank had another dealer look at issue and was not able to resolve. However, the truck had another issue and was fixed.

Hello Jaff37,
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If you do need additional assistance throughout this process we are just a PM away.
Laura
RamCares

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
This probably doesn’t make any sense but since I’ve turned off the ECO light, the MDS drone doesn’t seem to be as bad or bother me that much.

Dvalad

Reaction score
Yes, the problem I had is gone.

I posted a thread about it but it sorta got hijacked.
What did you ever find out I am new here so maybe you could fill me in as I am having the very same problem and I have changed the u joints cause I swore it was them

Dvalad

Reaction score
I just noticed the MDS vibration for the first time today. Felt it in my seat. Truck has almost 7k miles. However: here’s the weird thing: yesterday I filled-up with 89 octane for the 1st time (instead of the 87 I’ve been using). Today, the eco light started coming on for the first time! I didn’t even know it was there. I could tell, by sound, when the eco light came on and MDS kicked in (vs when the eco light came on apparently just because the instant mpg was high). I’m not sure what’s going on, maybe someone does? Questions: is the MDS operation a function of fuel octane?? Is the eco light supposed to come on sometimes even if MDS hasn’t kicked in? For certain, when MDS was on, I felt a vibration. As soon as I turned MDS off (using the gear limiter trick I read about in a different thread) - no vibration. The vibration wasn’t actually terrible, but certainly noticeable. Vibration or not, I love my new Ram truck. Its way, way better than the Fix Or Repair Daily it replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have this problem and I can’t figure it out and it’s gotten worse

Scram1500

Reaction score
Use the gear selector to disable MDS. V8's run better when all cylinders are firing. The MDS is a gimmick, smoke and mirrors, a parlor trick to entertain the EPA

eyeguy

Reaction score
My 2020 laramie no etorque has 6k miles. I have noticed more vibration and drone in the last month than the first 4. I think it is in part because of warmer weather and getting broken in. Like another poster noted it seems to happen more with the higher octane blends. I cant get 89 in my town so try to alternate 91 and 87. If I have more 91 in the tank it goes into mds quicker and strains to manage the demand and vibrates...? When more 87 in the tank it wont go into mds unless darn near coasting so no strain or vibration. Buttt.. I do notice a little nocking when I get on it with the lower octane 87ish blend.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Use the gear selector to disable MDS. V8's run better when all cylinders are firing. The MDS is a gimmick, smoke and mirrors, a parlor trick to entertain the EPA

This is my sentiment as well. I regularly disable MDS in my truck, every time I shift into D. Doesn't seem to have affected mpg's by any discernible amount. And it sounds like crap now that I have an aftermarket exhaust. Maybe MDS increases fuel economy if you're in Florida or some other state with no hills. But with my hilly commute it doesn't seem to do a thing for me. Disabling it is now as automatic as putting on my seat belt.

Users who are viewing this thread