5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maximum Steel vs Granite Gray

sbonvallet

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum as I am about to purchase a 2019 Laramie Limited. I am getting the truck through a dealership 300 miles away. I am trying to decide on color and think I like the Maximum Steel color better however the picture sent to me by the dealership makes it look way more blue than I would like. None of the local dealerships have the maximum steel color for me to look at in person. Other posts on this thread describe it as more dark gray in color and looks slightly blue if in the sun. Any input would be appreciated as I need to make up my mind soon as they have reserved the maximum steel for me and have only one in the granite gray left. Thanks.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, the blue is more of an undertone but in some lighting situations, really pops.

RBRK

Reaction score
Ya it’s super dark blue with a lot of metallic. I had a 13’max steel. Now I have a granite crystal 19’. I liked the max steel it was neat. The granite is good too just pretty much gray metallic.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Both look incredible. I think granite is a much more consistent color, it’s very sharp but in my eyes it had more brown than I’d like. But if you like the color, I feel like it will always be there for you. Max steel is more of a college drunk that comes and goes as it pleases. Goes from black to grey to blue. I love it more and more, with that being said my first choice was patriot blue so obviously the blue doesn’t bother me

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum as I am about to purchase a 2019 Laramie Limited. I am getting the truck through a dealership 300 miles away. I am trying to decide on color and think I like the Maximum Steel color better however the picture sent to me by the dealership makes it look way more blue than I would like. None of the local dealerships have the maximum steel color for me to look at in person. Other posts on this thread describe it as more dark gray in color and looks slightly blue if in the sun. Any input would be appreciated as I need to make up my mind soon as they have reserved the maximum steel for me and have only one in the granite gray left. Thanks.
I was between max steel and black. I chose black because I didn't like the blue tone in the max steel.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can't find it in the search but there was a post with what color people chose. I believe black and granite was top pick when I entered my silver. Small sample of over all ownership, but does color influence resale? I'm a long time owner and silver weathers better than the darker colors. Looked at colors in sun and overcast sky, which pushed me away from max steel to silver. Dark colors look sharper when they are maintained. Is the vehicle garaged?

geotex1

Reaction score
Can't find it in the search but there was a post with what color people chose. I believe black and granite was top pick when I entered my silver. Small sample of over all ownership, but does color influence resale? I'm a long time owner and silver weathers better than the darker colors. Looked at colors in sun and overcast sky, which pushed me away from max steel to silver. Dark colors look sharper when they are maintained. Is the vehicle garaged?

Color absolutely DOES affect resale, but more importantly is the condition of the finish at time of resale. Top dollar for top condition. Black is the most unforgiving, generally, and silver the most forgiving in terms of ease of care. Pearl paints are the most challenging to blend repairs, and throw in metallic and it will never be a perfect match.

I say buy what you like and not worry about the what-ifs.

HenryR

Reaction score
I got the max steel, waiting for delivery. I liked it because it always looks a little different. Gray is boring to me.

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
I was in that dilemma as well...it drove me crazy!!! I got a custom truck and ordered with Steel. I saw one truck with it next to black and granite. I liked it the most and ordered. But then I started to see some on other jeeps, etc. and it looked purple and other colors and really stressed out. I did NOT want a blue truck, but I can not buy a black truck...just too much work and trying to keep clean. Anyway, when I got the truck I really like the color. But as others have said...sometime is is a darker blue and others it looks black. Really depends on the light. I am very happy that I got this color, since I just can't get black (but others love black) and the granite is just too light for me. Here are a few pix to show how it can look black and blue. Tough call, but I am very happy with it and would definitely pick the Steel color again for sure...sooo happy that I got it!

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0535 (1).jpg
    IMG_0535 (1).jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 431

syddog 2000

Reaction score