5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max Volume - Burning Smell

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this bit figured it has to deal with radio so I'll post here..

I normally listen to country/ classic rock however sometimes I enjoy some Eminem and on my home from work today was jamming Rap God at max volume and it smelled like something electric burning.. I turned it back down, let the smell go away.. cranked it back up and the smell came back.. truck has 250 miles on it.. anyone else experiencing this?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
certain songs should never be listened to above a 20, it’s dangerous. I once listened to AC/DC at 30 and the devil rode shotgun the rest of the ride :LOL:

Seriously though, haven’t heard of that issue. Sounds crazy. It’s under warranty though so I’d keep cranking it until something burns up!

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Possibly burning voice coils. In that case it’s probably normal, your just playing clipped music.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Possibly burning voice coils. In that case it’s probably normal, your just playing clipped music.
Burning voice coils is normal? I plan to replace all the speakers in the truck as soon as I finish figuring out where and what size each one is. Also trying to find a speaker cover for the one in the center of the dash near the windshield that doesn't say Alpine on it.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Burning voice coils is normal? I plan to replace all the speakers in the truck as soon as I finish figuring out where and what size each one is. Also trying to find a speaker cover for the one in the center of the dash near the windshield that doesn't say Alpine on it.

Usually happens when pushing the speakers hard - or clipping. Clipping causes heat. More common on subwoofers, but can happen on regular speakers too.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Maybe your radio is opinionated and trying to tell you something ??
This could quite possibly be the issue.. It doesn't like Eminem.. I just like a lil bass every once in a while and I'd rather listen to Eminem and his weird lyrics rather than the same ol' song about money, cars and bitches.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this issue as well. Dealership thought it was the amp. Replaced it, I still smell it every now and then. My guess is the poor factory Alpine woofer cant handle the bass I'm throwing at it and it's one of the voice coils. I've already replaced every other speaker. I'll be ditching the factory sub soon and putting in a ported Fox box with 2 10s.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
I had this issue as well. Dealership thought it was the amp. Replaced it, I still smell it every now and then. My guess is the poor factory Alpine woofer cant handle the bass I'm throwing at it and it's one of the voice coils. I've already replaced every other speaker. I'll be ditching the factory sub soon and putting in a ported Fox box with 2 10s.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I plan to start replacing speakers as soon as I can figure out what sizes are where and where I can find a replacement trim ring for the center dash speaker that doesn't say Alpine :)

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I plan to start replacing speakers as soon as I can figure out what sizes are where and where I can find a replacement trim ring for the center dash speaker that doesn't say Alpine :)
The doors are all 6x9s. All 3 in the front dash and the 2 in the headliner are 3.5” speakers. I replaced them with JBL GX963s and GX302s. The front doors are bass only but I plan on adding another amp to push them in the future as well.
As far as the trim ring, I believe all trucks have the same piece there, ours just says Alpine.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
voice coils. when the adheasive gets hot they stink bad. letrwang

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
The doors are all 6x9s. All 3 in the front dash and the 2 in the headliner are 3.5” speakers. I replaced them with JBL GX963s and GX302s. The front doors are bass only but I plan on adding another amp to push them in the future as well.
As far as the trim ring, I believe all trucks have the same piece there, ours just says Alpine.
Awesome good to know. Hard finding info on this **** for a 2020, I'm assuming the 2019's had the same speaker setup though. Need to read up some more I guess to find out about adding an amp to the 6x9's and 3.5's, I read somewhere that all the connections are made under the Driver seat which would be nice. I just need more "volume".. Cranked all the way up it's loud but.. hard to hear it from the outside while out working or fishing.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome good to know. Hard finding info on this **** for a 2020, I'm assuming the 2019's had the same speaker setup though. Need to read up some more I guess to find out about adding an amp to the 6x9's and 3.5's, I read somewhere that all the connections are made under the Driver seat which would be nice. I just need more "volume".. Cranked all the way up it's loud but.. hard to hear it from the outside while out working or fishing.
Looks like the easiest option for adding an amp is the pac amp pro to get a flat signal after the head unit and before the amp. This is likely the route I am going.

Users who are viewing this thread