5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max trailer weight recommendation

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Absolutely. You could tow it with 3.21’s for that matter.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After looking at the specs I know the 3500 Ram 6.7 HO Diesel will easily meet my needs for the 20K Fifth Wheel with 4K tongue weight. The payload is over 6K and the towing is over 34K. So it will only be using 60-70% of capacity. Ready to upgrade when the 3500 gets a re-fresh face lift and better looking wheels. My biggest issue will be overall length (63.5 Feet) as I won't be legal to tow in New Jersey, Illinois, DC, North Carolina, and Maryland at all.

Last edited:

2020ramwv

Reaction score
Hey guys here the link to the trailer I’m looking to purchase. Think it’s a safe tow ?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
After looking at the specs I know the 3500 Ram 6.7 HO Diesel will easily meet my needs for the 20K Fifth Wheel with 4K tongue weight. The payload is over 6K and the towing is over 34K. So it will only be using 60-70% of capacity. Ready to upgrade when the 3500 gets a re-fresh face lift and better looking wheels. My biggest issue will be overall length (63.5 Feet) as I won't be legal to tow in New Jersey, Illinois, DC, North Carolina, and Maryland at all.
Good reference here:

Lists each states rules for length etc but sounds like you already know them.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Hey guys here the link to the trailer I’m looking to purchase. Think it’s a safe tow ?
Gross weight is only 6K so yes as long as you have the hemi. Even 3.21‘s will pull that.
Standard exclusions apply: Use a weight distributing hitch that is properly set up, don’t overload hitch/tongue (maybe carry the propane tanks elsewhere), hopefully you have a class IV hitch not just a class III, don’t fill up to max with water, don’t let the kids bring back every “neat rock” they find (ask me how I know) and cool your speeds.

2020ramwv

Reaction score
Hey guys update here. Looking at another TT that is closer and more affordable for us.
here are the specs. Is it doable ?

Hitch Weight:
574 lb.
GVWR:
7574 lb.
UVW
4596 lb.
CCC
2978 lb.
Exterior Length:
29' 2"
Exterior Height:
10' 6"
Exterior Width:
96"
Fresh Water:
40.00 gal.
Gray Water:
38.00 gal.
Black Water:
28.00 gal.
Awning Size:
15'

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Unless you’ve already bought it and loaded up both your truck and trailer, you won’t know the true axle and hitch/tongue weight until you scale it.

Take the gvwr of the trailer, multiply by .10 to .13, then add in your weights in the cab and bed for your family and gear. Compare that to your published payload sticker.

Remember to not fill the water tanks full and try to distribute the trailer weight front to rear and side to side. Other than your properly set up weight distributing hitch, getting E rated tires on your RAM will help handling. Stiffer sidewalls would be important, thats why the load range E tires are better. If you can’t change tires then get a Hellwig sway bar and inflate your tires to near maximum pressure.

Then there’s the rear axle/suspension softness. Timbrens or air bags will be your friend. If you are maxing out your tongue weight you’ll likely get quite a bit of sag that has to be countered somehow.

Finally remember that you’ve got enough power to pull it, you should be more concerned about stopping it. Get the trailer brakes set up for the heavier loads, not for an empty trailer. Many 150/1500 owners are pushing the envelope, at least slightly, when they hook the trailer up with all the fun gear and the family. Your truck will do it, just drive slower, sanely and keep your following distances.

SleepyWeasel

Reaction score
After months of looking for a TT that would safely work, I have solved our dilemma. Yesterday I placed an order for a 2020 RAM 3500 Laramie diesel. We decided we wanted to go the 5th wheel route after looking through the trailer lots. Dealer says six to eight weeks for delivery.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Below is the Keystone Bullet my wife and I have zeroed in on. I don’t ever see us loading to max. I also like how the Bullet trailers have axles spread apart more than normal for pulling stability. My truck stats are:
5.7L
4x2
5’7” box
GVWR - 6900
Payload - 1743
Max tow - 8742

KEY SPECIFICATIONS - 258RKS TRAVEL TRAILER
Shipping Weight5460
Carrying Capacity2140
Hitch650
Length29' 11"
Height10' 8"