5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max trailer weight recommendation

SleepyWeasel

Reaction score
Oh one final note. Pick the RV first then the truck. As you can see we got a 5er that works for us with the truck we have but if you start getting really heavy you’ll want to move to a DRW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are doing it backwards. We bought the truck first and are now considering a TT. The must have for the truck was the 3.92 since I have the 7500lbs GVW cargo trailer. I previously had a 3.21 and six speed transmission and it really had to work pulling the fully loaded trailer through the Smokey Mountains.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We are doing it backwards. We bought the truck first and are now considering a TT. The must have for the truck was the 3.92 since I have the 7500lbs GVW cargo trailer. I previously had a 3.21 and six speed transmission and it really had to work pulling the fully loaded trailer through the Smokey Mountains.
Thats not really backwards IF you buy enough truck. I see the point of “get the trailer first“ however most people go through a gradual succession of rv’s. They start off reasonably modest size-wise and as their families grow or needs change then they adjust up.

Personally, I had a 1 ton 4x4 crew cab (1977, they did make em’ back then, 8’ bed too) and I started with a truck camper, then a 24 tow behind trailer, then a bigger truck camper, then a 28’ tow behind, then a class C. The truck was kept through the whole thing, but then it started off as a 1 ton CC so I had the weight and people hauling capacity.

Where a lot of folks make a mistake today is buying a luxo’ cruiser nice-riding 150/1500 super short bed, then to their dismay they find out there’s not a hard sided truck camper they can carry (builders lie and say you can but only a very selected subset of trucks, or highly modded). And it’s difficult to find a fiver that’s over 26’ to legally tow due to pin weights.

Now if they had a 6’4” bed, 250/2500 gasser, they could tow/pull/carry roughly 80+% of what’s out there without a problem. A 350/3500 single rear wheel (SRW) can tow/carry/pull probably 95% of everything except the real monsters.

Now there’s a subset of folks who will tow anything on axles with their 150/1500 and dare others to stop them. I saw alot of those on the f150 forums.
(Just because your engine has the oomph to pull a trailer doesn’t mean you should!)

Have fun picking your rig and enjoy it. Slow down driving and watch your loads. You’ll be fine.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We are actually downsizing from a Class A motorhome (26,000 GVWR). I have the new unit narrowed down to either the Grand Design Momentum 350G, Momentum 381, and a heartland Road Warrior 396 which is the heavy boy at over 4,000 Hitch tongue....

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Found the TT we would like to get. Dry weight 7545, GVW 8975, hitch weight 780. Too much?

That hitch weight is dry I’d expect 850-920 loaded but that’s an estimate.

Never look at empty weights. Always look at the max so no matter what you’ll be good even if you go over.

I’ve towed a 20’ car hauler with our 1500 it had furniture in it. I don’t know the weight but it felt like a lot to me. That said you have the 3.92 and Longer wheel base right? You’re probably right on the cusp of it. Are you prepared to get a new truck if you buy the trailer and it doesn’t feel pleasant to you? If you are then you might be ok to move forward.

Btw “feels like” to me might be very different than feels like to you. It’s subjective so take my responses with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found the TT we would like to get. Dry weight 7545, GVW 8975, hitch weight 780. Too much?
Dry tongue weight + weight distribution hitch weight + driver/passenger/dog already puts you right at your 1220 maximum payload. That tongue weight will be closer to 1000 by the time you’ve loaded the trailer. Then you’re way over.

Bet it’s longer than 30ft overall length (hitch to bumper). What make/model are you looking at?

Just from the weights you gave it doesn’t sound like a good fit for long distance, non-white knuckle travel with your Limited.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
We are actually downsizing from a Class A motorhome (26,000 GVWR). I have the new unit narrowed down to either the Grand Design Momentum 350G, Momentum 381, and a heartland Road Warrior 396 which is the heavy boy at over 4,000 Hitch tongue....
‘Yep, easily 150/1500 towable” says the rv salesperson...

It does sound like quite the rig. My brother has had 2 Grand Designs, a 35’ and something just smaller now, he really likes the company’s service, 2 year warranty etc. He took the trailer back to the factory last year and they went completely through it fixing items... no squawks out of them at all. Rare these days from makers.

396 by Heartland
Floorplan StatusDealer Stock
GVWR20,000 Lbs
Dry Weight15,750 Lbs
Hitch Weight4,015 Lbs
Carrying Capacity4,202 Lbs
Width8'-5"
Height13'-3"
Length *44'-1"
Garage Length **15'-0"
Square Feet425 Sq Ft
Sleeping Capacity5-6
Axles3 x 7,000 LBS
Fresh Tank100 Gal
Gray Tank90 Gal
Black Tank45 Gal
Water Heater10 Gal
Furnace35,000 BTU
Air Conditioner15,000 BTU
Air Conditioner215,000 BTU
Lp Tank Capacity2 X 30 LBS
Refrigerator18 Cu Ft/110/LP
110v Electric50 AMP
Converter75 AMP
Rvalue WallR-11
Rvalue FloorR-38
Rvalue RoofR-40
ConstructionAluminum Framing, Fiberglass Skin
Roof MaterialRubber
Number Of Slides3
Slide Room Height7'-4" Slide Room Height
Bedroom Height6'-4" Bedroom Ceiling Height
Awning Length20'
Cook Top3 Burner
Traditional OvenYES
Convection OvenNo
Generator PrepStandard
Bed DimensionsQueen

SleepyWeasel

Reaction score
Dry tongue weight + weight distribution hitch weight + driver/passenger/dog already puts you right at your 1220 maximum payload. That tongue weight will be closer to 1000 by the time you’ve loaded the trailer. Then you’re way over.

Bet it’s longer than 30ft overall length (hitch to bumper). What make/model are you looking at?

Just from the weights you gave it doesn’t sound like a good fit for long distance, non-white knuckle travel with your Limited.

We're looking at a 2019 Jayco White Hawk 32KBS . There are smaller versions of the White Hawk that we'll probably end up going with. Sucks that we can't even go look at them right now. All the dealerships are closed due to COVID.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
We're looking at a 2019 Jayco White Hawk 32KBS . There are smaller versions of the White Hawk that we'll probably end up going with. Sucks that we can't even go look at them right now. All the dealerships are closed due to COVID.
Now that a lot of states are opening up some (we just went to “phase 2” yesterday), if the auto dealers and rv stores will be able to. Why not, if I can go to a box store with 500 others, what’s the difference? But then, I’m not a toe the line type, so just ignore me...

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200526-084249~2.png
Took my set up over the scales. We removed some things we haven't used in years. And all the tanks were empty.

As you can see, we have lots of Capacity left and my towing travels are very relaxed

GVWR 10000
GCWR 19800
GAWR 5500 front 6000 rear
Payload 2998

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
‘Yep, easily 150/1500 towable” says the rv salesperson...

It does sound like quite the rig. My brother has had 2 Grand Designs, a 35’ and something just smaller now, he really likes the company’s service, 2 year warranty etc. He took the trailer back to the factory last year and they went completely through it fixing items... no squawks out of them at all. Rare these days from makers.

396 by Heartland
Floorplan StatusDealer Stock
GVWR20,000 Lbs
Dry Weight15,750 Lbs
Hitch Weight4,015 Lbs
Carrying Capacity4,202 Lbs
Width8'-5"
Height13'-3"
Length *44'-1"
Garage Length **15'-0"
Square Feet425 Sq Ft
Sleeping Capacity5-6
Axles3 x 7,000 LBS
Fresh Tank100 Gal
Gray Tank90 Gal
Black Tank45 Gal
Water Heater10 Gal
Furnace35,000 BTU
Air Conditioner15,000 BTU
Air Conditioner215,000 BTU
Lp Tank Capacity2 X 30 LBS
Refrigerator18 Cu Ft/110/LP
110v Electric50 AMP
Converter75 AMP
Rvalue WallR-11
Rvalue FloorR-38
Rvalue RoofR-40
ConstructionAluminum Framing, Fiberglass Skin
Roof MaterialRubber
Number Of Slides3
Slide Room Height7'-4" Slide Room Height
Bedroom Height6'-4" Bedroom Ceiling Height
Awning Length20'
Cook Top3 Burner
Traditional OvenYES
Convection OvenNo
Generator PrepStandard
Bed DimensionsQueen

The reason for the downsize is to carry this little bugger in the back garage.
ATV.jpg

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Ha my bro’ had a Razor a few years ago, sold it just last year. I think it was a 900 side by side. He bought it to fit through the trail gates on N Forest land. They enjoyed it but just didn't use it enough, like so many other “good ideas” we have at the time.

tpartain

Reaction score
Your truck should weigh 80% of your trailer or more for assurance of no white knuckle moments.
So let's say you have a truck with a 1500lb payload.

7100 minus 1500 is 5600. 7000 would be the trailer max. This being GVWR of the trailer.

If you pack light...i would max at a 7500 lb GVWR trailer under 30 feet long.

My opinion.
What he said. This is my rule too. We tow a 24' travel trailer 6300# empty 7300# fully loaded. Even with this rule the truck and trailer needs to be setup properly. Weight distribution hitch and sway control are a must as far as I'm concerned. A Hellwig sway bar helps too.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I’d rather the truck weigh more than the trailer. But that’s just me.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’d rather the truck weigh more than the trailer. But that’s just me.
That would be simple. 7000lb trailer max ever for a 1500 4x4. Sounds good to me. End alot of discussion.

As you can see with my weights. I agree. Makes for very relaxed travel. Bur I also feel a trailer 20% more than your truck with trailer breaks is fine too.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
That would be simple. 7000lb trailer max ever for a 1500 4x4. Sounds good to me. End alot of discussion.

As you can see with my weights. I agree. Makes for very relaxed travel. Bur I also feel a trailer 20% more than your truck with trailer breaks is fine too.
Yeah it could end a lot of new threads, questions and argument but alas a hard and fast number will never work. Somebody always wants to tow heavier and trailer makers want to sell their wares to 150/1500 owners. Plus it would limit people too much.
My brother’s Grand Design 34’ fiver that‘s 14,000# loaded would require a 4500 series truck, or even bigger. No way that would ever fly. But then even he says his Duramax 2500 struggles some going up passes (Colorado).

Edit: To keep truck weights heavier, you’d have to be using a medium duty series (like this used one for $58K), which is a whole lot safer for the bigger 37’ and up 5vers that I see pulled by 1 tons. These are the triple axle ones... Huge...
1590753397202.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Here's my 31' Dutchmen behind my '12 Hemi. Loaded on the scales weight between 7400 and 7800lbs depending on tank levels. Dry weight is 6,873lbs.
This put the rear axle right at limits of 3875lbs out of 3900 and front axle at 3175.

I have airlift 1000 bags in the coils int eh back set at 35lbs and a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch with 1,200lb bars. Tongue weight is between 900 and 1,000lbs which makes payload the limiting factor. Any less than 12% tongue wight and the sway was brutal. Also the porpoising on these trucks is usually caused by not enough weight transferred to the front axle due to an improper WD hitch set-up.

Scale ticket
Steer - 3175
Drive - 3875 (note this is over GVW of 6,800lbs by 250lbs, but under axle weights by 750lbs and under tire weights by almost 800lbs per tire with load range D tires)
trailer - 7550
GCW - 14600

Truck and trailer.jpg

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Here's my 31' Dutchmen behind my '12 Hemi. Loaded on the scales weight between 7400 and 7800lbs depending on tank levels. Dry weight is 6,873lbs.
This put the rear axle right at limits of 3875lbs out of 3900 and front axle at 3175.

I have airlift 1000 bags in the coils int eh back set at 35lbs and a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch with 1,200lb bars. Tongue weight is between 900 and 1,000lbs which makes payload the limiting factor. Any less than 12% tongue wight and the sway was brutal. Also the porpoising on these trucks is usually caused by not enough weight transferred to the front axle due to an improper WD hitch set-up.

Scale ticket
Steer - 3175
Drive - 3875 (note this is over GVW of 6,800lbs by 250lbs, but under axle weights by 750lbs and under tire weights by almost 800lbs per tire with load range D tires)
trailer - 7550
GCW - 14600

View attachment 57519
Yours is totally doable with those numbers, thats also a really good hitch I’ve heard... I think you are close to maxed out but theirs fella’s that wouldn’t flinch to add another 1-2k trailer and still try it. Makes that semi-floating rear axle really work. That’s my bigger concern, you (not specifically “You” but “U“ in general) can lose an axle that way. Yours looks and is set up fine, as you said, payload is the issue.
Taken from fourwheeler.com:
”Semi-Floating vs. Full-Floating
There are two types of rear axles found on light-duty 4WDs: Semi-floating and full-floating. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
A semi-floating axle is very common on the rear of most 4WDs. It consists of an axle shaft on each side that is splined on the inner end where it mates to the differential and has a wheel flange where the wheel studs mount at the other end. This assembly typically mates to the end of the axle housing using some type of bolted flange arrangement. The axle shaft also rides on a large roller or ball bearing out at the end of the axle housing.

For a full-floating system, the axle shaft only serves to transmit the rotational torque from the differential out to the wheel. It does not carry the weight of the vehicle as a semi-floater does. On a full floater, a spindle is attached to the outer end of the axle housing. The wheel hub is mounted on this spindle and rides on tapered roller bearings. It is this assembly that carries the vehicle weight. As such, a full-floating axle system is considerably stronger than an equivalently sized semi-floating system.” End of copied part of article.

So even though an F150 is a semi-floater as well, their max tow or payload package is just better set up than a coil spring RAM, thats the price we pay for the ride.

2020ramwv

Reaction score
I’ve been reading numerous threads on towing a travel trailer. Was in the market to purchase one and wanted to know what my truck is capable of.
2020 big horn crew 5.7 4x4 with the Short bed. 3.92. Looking at a TT that’s roughly 4300 dry and about 23-27 ft long. Tongue weight about 470 . Is that something I can safely tow with the proper equipment (wdh and sway bars ).

Users who are viewing this thread