5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max Towing Capacity

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone use Mopar dashboard for their vehicle? I noticed today when I went in to check on next maintenance that it now says my max towing 8,742, I have the 3.21 gears. It used to be 8,390 which is what the towing charts say. Anyone else see this change?

PaineTrain04

Reaction score
Mine still reads a max towing of 8,650 lbs.
Perhaps you changed the wheelbase for your vehicle on the website?

1597071414073.png

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t changed anything on the website. It’s nice to now I have a little more buffer. Makes we wonder how they calculate GCWR which is listed nowhere on my truck or that dashboard. Yet the charts say it’s 13,900. GVWR is 6900 and max trailer capacity is 8742 which adds up to 15,642.

Then there is the weight each axle can carry front 3700 rear 4100 which adds up to 7800, but my GVWR is 6900. None of these numbers make sense. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I did a little research on GCWR. Obviously this is max weight for TV, trailer, passengers and cargo. But this is also calculated using only the tow vehicles braking system.

I find this strange because once you reach GCWR would the trailer be required to have a braking system?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your trailer is required to have brakes over 2000lbs...some states are less.

GCWR does not change and is based on engine and rear gear.

What did you get your original number from?

If it was a chart...they are for configuration...basically a tradesman.

Once you use the dashboard, you get your VIN specific weight.

Do remember...max tow number...is only 300lbs in the truck, 70 lbs for hitch and a 10% tongue weight.

That is why max tow is very rarely an obtainable number. In my case i weigh 295 my self...means I can take a soda or two with me. And a travel trailer will have a tongue weight of 13 to 15 % when loaded out.

Curious to know where you got the first number and when...because they also recently fixed the charts and the configurator

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your trailer is required to have brakes over 2000lbs...some states are less.

GCWR does not change and is based on engine and rear gear.

What did you get your original number from?

If it was a chart...they are for configuration...basically a tradesman.

Once you use the dashboard, you get your VIN specific weight.

Do remember...max tow number...is only 300lbs in the truck, 70 lbs for hitch and a 10% tongue weight.

That is why max tow is very rarely an obtainable number. In my case i weigh 295 my self...means I can take a soda or two with me. And a travel trailer will have a tongue weight of 13 to 15 % when loaded out.

Curious to know where you got the first number and when...because they also recently fixed the charts and the configurator
Dashboard doesn’t give GCWR nor is it listed in my truck as Ram doesn’t do that. So the only number to use is the one posted on the charts but it also has a lower max tow capacity then the dashboard.

only numbers I have per my vin are payload capacity, GVWR and GAWR

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yet the charts say it’s 13,900. GVWR is 6900 and max trailer capacity is 8742 which adds up to 15,642.
To find max trailer...it is base weight plus 300 and 75 hitch. And the tongue is figured into the trailer weight.

I wish we could just have a chat session. Cause this comes up all the time.

Max tow calculation will be with the smallest amount of payload.

Base weight is GVWR minus payload.

To figure a more realistic number take GCWR minus GVWR...this will give you a more real world number...since a 1500 runs out of payload before towing.

13900 minus 6900 is 7000 GVWR for a trailer.

Gosh I hope this makes sense.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dashboard doesn’t give GCWR nor is it listed in my truck as Ram doesn’t do that. So the only number to use is the one posted on the charts but it also has a lower max tow capacity then the dashboard.

only numbers I have per my vin are payload capacity, GVWR and GAWR
Correct. GVWR and GAWR are listed in the door jamb.

The GCWR will be found on the chart.

Hemi with 3.21 is 13900 and with 3.92 is 17000

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your calculations make sense. What doesn’t make sense is that GCWR is not listed anywhere on my truck. The old way to calculate is to take max trailer towing capacity and add GVWR. For some reason they have changed that.

Also GCWR is based on the ability to safely operate the total weight of the TV and trailer. This is calculated without using trailer brakes but only the brakes of the TV. It’s not just based on weight and gears.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are correct. The number is based on weight and gears...but how they come up with it is based on so much more...to even include the parking brake holding the load

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dashboard image

Attachments

• F26F6889-048F-4D62-B4F6-802F2816AB6D.jpeg
    F26F6889-048F-4D62-B4F6-802F2816AB6D.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 26

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is very interesting as the chart I just looked at gives a completely different max tow than the ones you listed. I got to get busy on my truck...talk about it later

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@LoNeStAr for curiosity sake...what are you using for your information about GCWR...are you reading the SAE J2807?
The only thing I have been able to find online are the towing charts and it states 13,900. 5.7L, 3.21 gears, 4x2, 5’7” box

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do think I know why you got the weight change...what i said earlier about them adding the tongue weight back into the trailer.

When they had to change the configurator it dropped the numbers big time...so they are squeezing for shock

Users who are viewing this thread