5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max Steel Laramie 4x4 - Leveled & Loved

RodRow

Reaction score
What level and tires does your son have?
My son has the same level kit as mine (ReadyLift 2” with Upper Control Arms) and he is running 285/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s

He love the look and feel of the truck and it’s very quiet on the road. His speedo is only .8 MPH off at 70 and the responsiveness is close to factory.

RodRow

Reaction score
I asked my dealer if they would swap them out. I buy new ones and they give credit on the OEM tires. They said no. :(
But they did say I could buy my own tires and they would swap them out for me and I would have to just pay them to. Oh WOW, Thanks!! lol
I told them, so you're telling me I can buy my own tires and pay you to switch them for me. No Thanks, I'll do better at a tire store. lol
So much for making a customer happy on the last 2% of the deal. At lease swap them at no charge. Oh well. A few weeks and Mavis will swap them I guess.
That’s frustrating for sure. Many dealers will go the extra mile, but others seem to stop caring the moment they know you’re on the hook.

I sold both sets of Dueler tires from mine and my son’s truck for $450 per set on Craigslist in the Dallas area. I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son has the same level kit as mine (ReadyLift 2” with Upper Control Arms) and he is running 285/55/20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s

He love the look and feel of the truck and it’s very quiet on the road. His speedo is only .8 MPH off at 70 and the responsiveness is close to factory.

How different is your ride from his? I like the look of your tires more, but curious if the noise and responsiveness will be an issue. I do have 3.92's though so that should help.

RodRow

Reaction score
How different is your ride from his? I like the look of your tires more, but curious if the noise and responsiveness will be an issue. I do have 3.92's though so that should help.
Honestly, the Ridge Grapplers are very quiet and the ride is almost the same too. Even though the grapplers have the more sturdy and aggressive sidewall, the slightly shorter profile of his tires sends the bumps to the wheel a bit more. The taller the sidewall, typically, the better the bump absorption.

Grapplers are way heavier, so with 3.21 gears, I notice that more than anything.

So, I would say get the ones you like the look of more. You’ll hardly notice a difference in the ride between the two. It’s all relative, but I would guess 5% or so louder and rougher than stock for the G2...and maybe 8% louder and 5% rougher than stock on the Grapplers. ;)

Papa Bear 24

Reaction score
I have been working on my Maximum Steel Laramie 4x4 for a couple of weeks now and have just about got it perfect for me, so I thought I'd share with the Ramily!

Only a couple of items remain, receiving and installing my AFE CAI, and "possibly" new pipes. Still not sure I want the additional sound in the cab that the exhaust will inevitably bring, but I may try it anyway.

Enjoy the pics brothers and sisters! Let me know what you think. :)

View attachment 12871
View attachment 12872
View attachment 12879
View attachment 12873
View attachment 12874

View attachment 12876

View attachment 12880
This last pic is mine and my son's new Laramie's sitting side by side. My Maximum Steel Metallic "Max" is on the left and his Granite Crystal Metallic "Larry" is on the right. I bought them both only 3 weeks apart. Yes, we are truly BLESSED!
Looks Great. Im wanting to do the same with the tires. Keep factory rims but get new shoes under her

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been working on my Maximum Steel Laramie 4x4 for a couple of weeks now and have just about got it perfect for me, so I thought I'd share with the Ramily!

Only a couple of items remain, receiving and installing my AFE CAI, and "possibly" new pipes. Still not sure I want the additional sound in the cab that the exhaust will inevitably bring, but I may try it anyway.

View attachment 12871
View attachment 12872
View attachment 12879
View attachment 12873
View attachment 12874

View attachment 12876

View attachment 12880
This last pic is mine and my son's new Laramie's sitting side by side. My Maximum Steel Metallic "Max" is on the left and his Granite Crystal Metallic "Larry" is on the right. I bought them both only 3 weeks apart. Yes, we are truly BLESSED!

I see that you installed your AFE CAI. How do you like it? Did you ever do pipes?

Side note: how much were your tires and AFE CAI?

RodRow

Reaction score
I see that you installed your AFE CAI. How do you like it? Did you ever do pipes?

Side note: how much were your tires and AFE CAI?
I love the AFE CAI. I got it for $288 with a coupon in January. As for the pipes, nah...my wife doesn’t like a loud truck, so I’ll keep stock. Sounds great to me.

The tires installed were about $1500 at Discount Tire. I would do it all again. I love it!

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love the AFE CAI. I got it for $288 with a coupon in January. As for the pipes, nah...my wife doesn’t like a loud truck, so I’ll keep stock. Sounds great to me.

The tires installed were about $1500 at Discount Tire. I would do it all again. I love it!

Are they an LT rated tire?

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, but they ride great in my opinion.

That’s what I was hoping to hear, I have zero need for a 10-ply tire. These trucks are too light for that in my opinion. Have to find that sweet spot in larger tires, most sizes are LT 10-ply.

RodRow

Reaction score
That’s what I was hoping to hear, I have zero need for a 10-ply tire. These trucks are too light for that in my opinion. Have to find that sweet spot in larger tires, most sizes are LT 10-ply.
They have pretty firm sidewalls, so they do ride a little rougher than stock, but for me, the trade off was worth it.
You can check the specifics for the LT295/55/R20 here:

angrycookieman

Reaction score

View attachment 12871
View attachment 12872
View attachment 12879
View attachment 12873
View attachment 12874

View attachment 12876

View attachment 12880
I like your truck, It's nice. I was wondering if the running boards will adjust higher up to reduce the gap visible. I have the same set in my cart but want them more tucked up.

Users who are viewing this thread