5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max Payload question

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
So if I'm understanding correctly payload could increase by either reducing weight on the truck OR increasing GVWR. Reducing weight is hard. How could GVWR be increased? I incorrectly assumed air suspension would allow for higher GVWR but instread it leaves GVWR the same and reduces payload due to extra weight. What is the next weekest component of the truck that caps the GVWR? Is it the tires, wheels, frame, suspension?

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
The only way to increase GVWR is to go to the next class of truck.
From a stock perspective, yes. What is the factor that keeps GVWR where it is on the half ton? Are there after market options that can make carrying max payload safer? If so what would the next item to be replaced on the existing truck to give more headroom?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a tradesman 4x2 with V6 is the only way you are going to pull this off...or buy a tradesman 4x2 2500 with 5.7 hemi. Or get a tradesman 4x2 3500 with a 6.4 hemi. Cause any trim higher than that, or adding the Cummins or 4x4 takes away from payload.

Adding airbags only helps control the load, you still have to stay under GVWR and GCWR. And then the added airbags take away from the payoad.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The manuafacturers are required to put a maximum safe weight rating on each vehicle (GVWR). This is the maximum amount the truck is legally safely allowed to weigh on the road. I haven’t seen any weight police (I hear they exist in some states) BUT if you are involved in an accident and you are over the max weight, you are liable. Your insurance company may not cover you since you were negligent.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You cannot increase GVWR. You can get LT tires, add air bags, take you back seat out remove your radio, take your bed off it isn't going to change.

Legally there is no way to do it.
Theoretically you will increase capacity per se but you will never increase GVWR.

And what I just noticed @Zeronet wrote

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Do
The manuafacturers are required to put a maximum safe weight rating on each vehicle (GVWR). This is the maximum amount the truck is legally safely allowed to weigh on the road. I haven’t seen any weight police (I hear they exist in some states) BUT if you are involved in an accident and you are over the max weight, you are liable. Your insurance company may not cover you since you were negligent.
Does anybody know what component on the stock truck, be it axle, brakes, suspension, wheels, tires frame, etc, keeps the GVWR at where it is? I'm not interested in changing the sticker, or legal issues. I am interested in the max capabilities of individual components and the hierarchy of them. I think this is something others have been trying to figure out as well. More of an engineering approach as opposed to legal.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From a stock perspective, yes. What is the factor that keeps GVWR where it is on the half ton? Are there after market options that can make carrying max payload safer? If so what would the next item to be replaced on the existing truck to give more headroom?
Since this is determined by the manufacturer, and factors include the frame, brakes, axle ratio, wheel bearings, springs, axle strength, shock, tires, wheels, drivetrain, cooling capacity, and more, I'm thinking you won't get an answer to that outside of the Ram engineering department.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do

Does anybody know what component on the stock truck, be it axle, brakes, suspension, wheels, tires frame, etc, keeps the GVWR at where it is? I'm not interested in changing the sticker, or legal issues. I am interested in the max capabilities of individual components and the hierarchy of them. I think this is something others have been trying to figure out as well. More of an engineering approach as opposed to legal.
Well we know that the axles themselves have a maximum weight rating (GAWR). Typically 4100 or 3900lbs for the rear axle. In my experience, based on weighing my truck/trailer several times, when you reach max payload (posted on the door sticker) you will be within 40-60 pounds of the rear axle GAWR since most of the payload will be on the rear axle.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So if I'm understanding correctly payload could increase by either reducing weight on the truck OR increasing GVWR. Reducing weight is hard. How could GVWR be increased? I incorrectly assumed air suspension would allow for higher GVWR but instread it leaves GVWR the same and reduces payload due to extra weight. What is the next weekest component of the truck that caps the GVWR? Is it the tires, wheels, frame, suspension?
Do

RAM did increase the GVWR with the new axles and bigger brakes.
I will admit I misunderstood you, but that is because I gave the two reasons on how Ram increased GVWR.

I made a post in the towing thread that compares the 1st RAM 1500 to the current one. It isn't complete yet but you can see the change in GVWR

In 1999 GVWR was 6400 for all configurations of 1500. Now GVWR changes based on your truck. 4x2 gets 6900 and 4x4 gets 7100 (there are others too, se the thread)

So Ram has done exactly what you asked and raised the GVWR from 6400 to 7100.

If you would like I can post more numbers, but the biggest contributing factor is the new axles.

Not sure how familiar you are with Ram trucks, but the easiest way to see the extra capacity is to simply look at the lug nuts. For the first time ever a Ram truck has 6 lug nuts. (Yea I know dakotas did, and the 6 lugs isn't what made these new axles better)

Hope this helps some more and I will do my best to explain better next time.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2018-08-25 10.26.06.png
2018-08-25 10.20.50.png
2018-08-25 10.22.25.png
2018-08-25 10.21.40.png

THere is an example of GVWR and also the comparison from 2018 to the 2019 Ram 1500

Notice that Google isn't the best place to get this info...as they contradict themselves on the Chevy GVWR.

Also notice the Ram 2500 says from 8510 to 10000.

The 8510 is the Powerwagon.
There is also a 9000 that is with the 5.7 hemi. And then the 10000is with the 6.4 Hemi and Cummins.

The Powerwagon is so low because something in the powerwagon package limits it. Most likely the flexible offroad suspension.

The 5.7 Hemi is lower because of the output cycle of the engine.

Checkout how many different ratings a 3500 has. Engine, cab configurations, single or dual rearwheels, transmission, all play a role in that.

Daniel

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with 5.7L Hemi, Air Suspension, 3.92 ratio, 5.7 bed, and the 22" Wheels and Tires.
When I check on Ram's website using my Vin# it gives me a Max Payload of 1840 lbs, When checking the Ram towing chart for this configuration it gives me a Max payload of 1800 lbs. Now when I look at my sticker on the front door jamb it says the Max Payload is only 1428 lbs.

Anyone else have this,?

If true can you explain to me how they arrive @ 1428 lbs?

It doesn't make sense to me because the max load rating on each tire (285/45/R22XL 114H) is 2601 lbs and if you divide the 5300 lbs truck weight by 4 and subtract that from the 2601 lbs you end up with over 1300 lbs extra capacity per tire x 4 = over 5200 lbs.

So if the tires aren't the limiting factor and all the other sources say the truck itself can handle in excess of 1800 lbs why does my door jam say 1428 lbs?

Thanks Rob
too much options buddy heres mine big horn

Attachments

• sticker (2018_12_02 21_24_24 UTC).jpg
    sticker (2018_12_02 21_24_24 UTC).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
too much options buddy heres mine big horn

Not too much options at all. If he’s good with it, then it’s not too much. Besides, he’s just asking how they got that number. Not that he’s upset about the Max payload number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread