5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map lights in overhead console stopped working

CarRamRod

Reaction score
Same issue here. Re-seating the wires fixed it.

Anyone else experience this immediately after applying Uconnect update or is it just a coincidence for me?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Anyone else experience this immediately after applying Uconnect update or is it just a coincidence for me?
Ha! See my post above yours. I experienced the same thing, which led me to assume it was the firmware update instead of the wiring.

Here's what I think happened. Somehow the firmware made a change that required some trucks to remove power from the console electronics to reset, and seeing that you had to do the same thing, confirms it for me (I've owned the truck for six months w/o issues, and the day I apply an update the top console stops working for me, and now you? Not a coincidence any more...).

Cheers,

CarRamRod

Reaction score
Ha! See my post above yours. I experienced the same thing, which led me to assume it was the firmware update instead of the wiring.

Here's what I think happened. Somehow the firmware made a change that required some trucks to remove power from the console electronics to reset, and seeing that you had to do the same thing, confirms it for me (I've owned the truck for six months w/o issues, and the day I apply an update the top console stops working for me, and now you? Not a coincidence any more...).

Cheers,

I thought that was too much of a coincidence. I have only had the truck for three days. I did the firmware update the second day and all of the sudden the lights and other panel buttons stopped working. I'm thinking maybe an update to the SOS/Assistance system might have caused the issue since those buttons are in the affected panel.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

When you refer to reseating the wires are you just unplugging the connections and plugging back in?

CarRamRod

Reaction score
When you refer to reseating the wires are you just unplugging the connections and plugging back in?
That is correct. I only had to disconnect the connector on the right side for mine to reset, but both connectors might need to be reconnected.

I don't have a pano roof, but other have stated that you have to disconnect a cross-wire connector in the panel itself on those models in order for the panel to reset.

Just to be safe, you should probably disconnect your negative terminal on the battery. I didn't do so because I didn't read that until later, but it would probably be a good idea so that you don't short anything out or blow a fuse.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is correct. I only had to disconnect the connector on the right side for mine to reset, but both connectors might need to be reconnected.

I don't have a pano roof, but other have stated that you have to disconnect a cross-wire connector in the panel itself on those models in order for the panel to reset.

Just to be safe, you should probably disconnect your negative terminal on the battery. I didn't do so because I didn't read that until later, but it would probably be a good idea so that you don't short anything out or blow a fuse.
Thanks. I have a pano. I hope it doesn't happen but if it does I will be prepared.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

I didn't disconnect the battery either. Just disconnected all three (or perhaps four) plugs. That did the trick.

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
Over head console lights stopped working on mine as well 19 limited... Just got it back from dealer all consoles are on national back order there are ALOT of these that need replaced

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
Over head console lights stopped working on mine as well 19 limited... Just got it back from dealer all consoles are on national back order there are ALOT of these that need replaced

Forgot to add... No reason why this happens no one at dealer knows either just faulty modules and less than quality parts

CarRamRod

Reaction score

Did you install a uConnect update before your panel started malfunctioning? Did disconnecting and reconnecting the wire harnesses not fix your issue?

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
As soon as the update happened yes, and yes I took it down checked plugins and fuzes .. Still not working ...kinda odd cause it happened soon as I did the update

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
As soon as the update happened yes, and yes I took it down checked plugins and fuzes .. Still not working ...kinda odd cause it happened soon as I did the update
Ensure you unplug every plug in there. There are a four I believe.

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
Ensure you unplug every plug in there. There are a four I believe.

Thanks ! Although....
I fix hail damage on vehicles and a big part of my job is R&I ... there is nothing I have left untouched regarding anything that has to do with the overhead consoles plugs and fuses , the dealership went as far to switch it out on another truck and it does not work as stated but the take from other truck does work 100% I'm very confident in finding and fixing issues with 18yrs experience of doing strictly hail damage repair on every vehicle made from the states to across the pond ... The console does not work

CarRamRod

Reaction score

Sorry you haven't been able to get yours working again. It's definitely something in the firmware update. Mine and several others have experienced it immediately after the update.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
My dealer found an intermittent short in a module in the overhead console, and replaced it. Hopefully that permanently resolves my issue. The rear half of the console went dead 3 times in 3 months. I got tired of resetting it myself, so I took it to the dealer (in its dead state).

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GREAT... I sold my Avalanche after 10yrs because I didn't want to chase down the electrical issues it was having.
Keep us posted, please.

that was one of the reason why i traded my in like you.my was 12yrs .nothing but electrical!

Ramrod112

Reaction score
Seems like this is an ongoing issue after a Uconnect update. Mine just suffered from this after the latest update a couple of days ago. I’m going to attempt removing the overhead console and start unplugging connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread