5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manually open multifunction tailgate (Ram boxes)

Aidan

Reaction score
I have bought a full truck bed with ram boxes (2nd hand) and multifunction tailgate to swap onto mine - but it is locked.

Will get a locksmith for the ram boxes but the tailgate has no key barrel - fun.

Surely you can open these manually? I can access the tailgate from the inside.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only way I know to open it is to provide power to the actuator or actuators. It's electrically operated, not mechanical like older tailgates. Maybe you can open the access panel and see if there's a way to manually open the tailgate. If you have a good relationship with your dealership you could talk to someone in the service department to pick their brain about it. Or maybe someone else here has messed with that. Best of luck with this, and please post back with what your solution is.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great video for the standard tailgate. Will be a little more involved for the MFT because there are closeout panels and tailgate covers for both sides to remove, but the releases should operate the same.

1720547357662.png

Aidan

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I had a look at the video and did some looking at mine, however you can't access the actuators like they did - photo is from the inside of the tailgate with covers removed.

Might try the middle actuator to see if I can open it that way - just not sure if the sides need to be unlocked for that.

Failing, will attempt some kind of power supply.

1st one is just showing going into the cavity.

2nd is what's covering the actuator.

Attachments

• 20240710_160324.jpg
    20240710_160324.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240710_160310.jpg
    20240710_160310.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread