5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manifold, or lifters?

MNLaramie91

Reaction score
Well, the tick is here already. 2020 Laramie 5.7 non e-torque, 13k miles. Bringing it to the dealership Tuesday, any ideas? Regular oil changes, 5x20 full synthetic. Minimal idle time. Coming from a Durango R/T so I love the 5.7 but this is disappointing.

The Critic

Reaction score
Mine does that occasionally, I think it is normal operation. In fact, the 2021 manuals now contain this statement (look under note):
1621018469582.png

redneck

Reaction score
I know how you feel my brand new truck started the Hemi tick at 600 miles dealer said it's normal tough luck kinda embarrassing to have people stare at your truck when you start it in the parking lot

MNLaramie91

Reaction score
I know how you feel my brand new truck started the Hemi tick at 600 miles dealer said it's normal tough luck kinda embarrassing to have people stare at your truck when you start it in the parking lot
Bringing it to a dealer tomorrow, hopefully they have something good to say lol

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a similar noise from my 2021. Unforunately mine does not go away like the manual says either. Similar issue for another user and they ended up fixing it by replacing the cylinder head.

redneck

Reaction score
Bringing it to a dealer tomorrow, hopefully they have something good to say lol
i took it to the dealer & they would not even write up a repair order or document it they said 90% of hemi's tick service writer said her car ticked from day one. this will be my first & last ram truck

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i took it to the dealer & they would not even write up a repair order or document it they said 90% of hemi's tick service writer said her car ticked from day one. this will be my first & last ram truck
Take it to another dealership or tell them to start a truck on the lot and compare it to yours. Obviously some ticking is okay, its stated in the owners manual but a prolonged ticking that doesn't go away is not "normal".

redneck

Reaction score
Mine ticks loud for 4-6 seconds on every start up hot or cold but goes away while running

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the tick at startup then goes away after engine warms up. Brought it to the dealership last week and the result is cracked exhaust manifold. They ordered the parts which are on back order until late June. Said they would call me when the parts come in so they can perform the repair.

DSN46

Reaction score
Same. First ever... also last. I lived with the Chevy 5.3 piston slap through several Chevys....but at least I knew what it was, what caused it and knew it wasn’t going to eat itself alive. I ran all three of them for 150k miles each without a problem. So disappointed in FCA.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's not a tick, thats a knock.
Early HEMI's made that sound and it was normal however it wasn't the engine, it was the front pump on the trans. This sounds similar but much louder than the front trans pump and I've never heard a ZF make that sound.
I hope I'm wrong but that sounds like a rod. How's the oil pressure and have you cut open an oil filter?
Open the hood and listen, try and see if its coming from the bottom or the top of the engine, if its the top, it could be a collapsed lifter and the sound you hear is a rocker arm hammering on tearing up a valve tip.
The speed or frequency of the sound suggests the bottom end, noise is fast (crank spins 2x's as fast as the cam and valve train knocks will be slower), that sounds like it knocks every crank rotation

Gemlin

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram did something similar. Been at the dealer now for a Month awaiting a new engine (They are on back order). Engine has to be replaced under warranty. Lifter ate the cam, putting metal through out the engine.

Ramjack

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram did something similar. Been at the dealer now for a Month awaiting a new engine (They are on back order). Engine has to be replaced under warranty. Lifter ate the cam, putting metal through out the engine.
Geez, how does this happen ??

Users who are viewing this thread