5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mandeville, LA dealer selling for $3000 over sticker

Zeeya

Reaction score
Just saw trucks for sale, 1 a fully loaded out Laramie with every option including HUD. When you click on view window sticker it is $68 and some change, They have it listed at $71 and some change... Wouldn't that fit into price gouging?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nope, the MSRP is suggested price, dealers can ask above that if the demand is there.

This is usually done on hard to get and in demand vehicles, not unusual for dealers to ask well above MSRP depending on the demand. Though this is not usual for a high production mainstream vehicle that usually has huge built-in discounts like a full size truck, but we are in a weird market at the moment.

Unless the product is necessary in a disaster or state of emergency, like fuel, water, food, etc., you really can't consider this illegal price gouging. Though it really pisses me off when dealerships do that.

Last edited:

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was recently looking for an HD truck. Went to my local Chevy dealer to test drive a Silverado 3500 that was similar to what I was looking for. It was a used 2020 with 11k miles on it. I wanted to see the window sticker to see what packages were on it, kind of funny they didn’t have the window sticker handy for me to look at and gave me the run around about it. They were asking 65k for this used one. I had already talked to them about ordering one that had more options than this used one and the ordered one would have been 57k. So they were asking way above retail value for this used one.

dandar

Reaction score
Probably want to wait until the chip shortage is over. Then the market will be flooded with trucks that were only waiting for the chips to be completed and you can expect huge discounts to move the inventory.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Probably want to wait until the chip shortage is over. Then the market will be flooded with trucks that were only waiting for the chips to be completed and you can expect huge discounts to move the inventory.
In theory this is true. And it's something I considered doing. But I have good reason to believe that this isn't even close to being over. And it could last through the end of next year at least. I'm sure there will be a glut of vehicles when that happens, but I'm starting to be a little concerned about lot rot at that point. I'm not sure I would want to buy a truck that's been sitting in storage for a year or more waiting for parts. If I hadn't found the truck I bought I would have probably just waited this thing out and ordered a new truck. Fortunately for me I hit a sweet spot where dealers were still offering incentives AND offering great trade in values. Anyone who needs to buy a truck now has my sympathy.

U

User_3336

In theory this is true. And it's something I considered doing. But I have good reason to believe that this isn't even close to being over. And it could last through the end of next year at least. I'm sure there will be a glut of vehicles when that happens, but I'm starting to be a little concerned about lot rot at that point. I'm not sure I would want to buy a truck that's been sitting in storage for a year or more waiting for parts. If I hadn't found the truck I bought I would have probably just waited this thing out and ordered a new truck. Fortunately for me I hit a sweet spot where dealers were still offering incentives AND offering great trade in values. Anyone who needs to buy a truck now has my sympathy.
that was a very short window. Maybe +/- a month. The used truck market is outrageous, and incentives on new are scarce.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
They will try to upsell in any way possible, especially since they have fewer new and used vehicles available to sell.
The new lots around the town where I live are pretty pathetic, the local RAM store has the following for new 1500's:

5 Results Found​

I noticed that the dealers are spacing their cars and trucks out so as to still take up "some" room on their lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Dealership in Anaheim has $5000 market adjustment AND $2500 dealer added crap for all RAMs and Jeeps.
That's $7500 over MSRP

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Price gouging" is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think part of freedom is the ability to price things at whatever price you want, and others to have the freedom to not purchase that item and/or get a better deal somewhere else. After all, no one "needs" a new truck so I can't see why it should be controlled anyway. I'm not a big fan of a group of people deciding to legislate what the price of anything is/should be. I'd rather see that kind of stuff done voluntarily. For example, I don't think the government should tell health care providers what they can/can't charge for services, but I would definitely be in favor of a single-payer system (like Medicare) that *negotiates* the price of the services, wherein they can get a better deal by having strength of purchasing power. I have a rental property company and I wouldn't like it if anyone told me how much I had to rent out houses for, but I'm not against Section 8 and property owners negotiating a rent level with the government and meeting certain criteria if they want to participate in the program (I don't).

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It's supply/demand/greed at work. If ya' gotta have it your gonna' pay, about as simple as that.
Course' the internet should help peeps find dealers that don't mark up, just takes a bit of time to search and the willingness to either travel or get the truck shipped.
In Covington LA, a neighboring city, the RAM dealer (Rainbow Chrysler/RAM) has only five new 1500's, all are at msrp.

Community Motors, a RAM dealer a bit farther away in Hammond LA has 17 new RAMS and is discounting some as well as adding the "whoever can qualify" incentives. Here's just a sample:
2021 Ram1500 BIG HORN CREW CAB 4X2 5'7 BOX Crew Cab
MSRP $47,325 Dealer Discount-$1,335 Price $45,990
National Retail Consumer Cash (21CM1)Details-$1,250 Final Price $44,740
Non-Prime Retail Bonus Cash (21CM1V)Details-$750
FFA Member Program (39CMLZ)Details-$500
Driveability / Automobility Program (38CM31)Details-$1,000
Returning Lessee (38CMB3)Details-$500
Military Program (39CMB)Details-$500

Going east in Slidell LA, that RAM dealer had 27 new 1500's and while not discounting, offers several incentives as well:

(Couldn't get rid of the bolding)

2021 Ram1500 Laramie 2WD 5ft7 Box

• Crew Cab
  • Engine: 5.7L V8 Hemi
  • 4x2
  • 20/25 mpg City/Hwy
  • Flame Red Exterior
  • 1C6RREJT2MN710360
  • Stock #: MN710360

MSRP $54,890

Conditional Final Price $51,640

https://www.lakeshorechryslerdodgej...Ram-1500-648075d80a0e0a1759226349341fa4db.htm

So as you can see right in the same region/area the other dealers are not marking them up. All it takes is 15 minutes of internet time...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
"Price gouging" is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think part of freedom is the ability to price things at whatever price you want, and others to have the freedom to not purchase that item and/or get a better deal somewhere else. After all, no one "needs" a new truck so I can't see why it should be controlled anyway. I'm not a big fan of a group of people deciding to legislate what the price of anything is/should be. I'd rather see that kind of stuff done voluntarily. For example, I don't think the government should tell health care providers what they can/can't charge for services, but I would definitely be in favor of a single-payer system (like Medicare) that *negotiates* the price of the services, wherein they can get a better deal by having strength of purchasing power. I have a rental property company and I wouldn't like it if anyone told me how much I had to rent out houses for, but I'm not against Section 8 and property owners negotiating a rent level with the government and meeting certain criteria if they want to participate in the program (I don't).
I both agree and disagree with what you said. I agree that the government should not get involved in setting prices on anything. But I also don't think there should be an entity that dictates that either. In the end, what's the difference? Both are some person or group of people mandating what you can charge for something. Instead, I think the market should dictate what the prices are. In other words, capitalism. The market will always balance itself out if allowed to do so.

U

User_3336

It's supply/demand/greed at work. If ya' gotta have it your gonna' pay, about as simple as that.
Course' the internet should help peeps find dealers that don't mark up, just takes a bit of time to search and the willingness to either travel or get the truck shipped.
In Covington LA, a neighboring city, the RAM dealer (Rainbow Chrysler/RAM) has only five new 1500's, all are at msrp.

Community Motors, a RAM dealer a bit farther away in Hammond LA has 17 new RAMS and is discounting some as well as adding the "whoever can qualify" incentives. Here's just a sample:
2021 Ram1500 BIG HORN CREW CAB 4X2 5'7 BOX Crew Cab
MSRP $47,325 Dealer Discount-$1,335 Price $45,990
National Retail Consumer Cash (21CM1)Details-$1,250 Final Price $44,740

Going east in Slidell LA, that RAM dealer had 27 new 1500's and while not discounting, offers several incentives as well:

(Couldn't get rid of the bolding)

2021 Ram1500 Laramie 2WD 5ft7 Box

• Crew Cab
  • Engine: 5.7L V8 Hemi
  • 4x2
  • 20/25 mpg City/Hwy
  • Flame Red Exterior
  • 1C6RREJT2MN710360
  • Stock #: MN710360

MSRP $54,890

Conditional Final Price $51,640

https://www.lakeshorechryslerdodgej...Ram-1500-648075d80a0e0a1759226349341fa4db.htm

So as you can see right in the same region/area the other dealers are not marking them up. All it takes is 15 minutes of internet time...
*AND* how many people are gonna ACTUALLY qualify for ALL those discounts. NONE!

Lessee 500 right out the door if you aren't re-leasing.
1000 Driveability. What is this even?
Non-Prime 750 - - - you're credit has to REALLY suck to get this one NOTING that if you quality for this you certainly ARE NOT going to quality for any Chrysler Cap rebates.

I hate dealers who throw these rebates AND figure it as a part of their "conditional price" knowing NO ONE single person is going to get these. BUT, that FINAL PRICE sure sounds attractive. It only pisses me off when dealers do this.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

Non-Prime 750 - - - you're credit has to REALLY suck to get this one NOTING that if you quality for this you certainly ARE NOT going to quality for any Chrysler Cap rebates.

I hate dealers who throw these rebates AND figure it as a part of their "conditional price" knowing NO ONE single person is going to get these. BUT, that FINAL PRICE sure sounds attractive. It only pisses me off when dealers do this.
I'd like to read your reply but my old eyes and a yellow font make it impossible.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'd like to read your reply but my old eyes and a yellow font make it impossible.
Ahh, highlighting turned it blue, that works.

A lot of dealers play games, it's what they do. Some will try some kind of "bait n switch", which conditional rebates/incentives could certainly be construed as.

The point moreso is that the OP said that an La (not Cali) dealer had a substantial mark up above msrp. I was showing that within an hours drive or so, there were dealers who were less than msrp. Even if you only qualified for just a single rebate, it's better than paying above msrp (and thats without bargaining).
Now I'd be willing to travel but some are not.

Do very many of those rebates/incentives get claimed? No. Is it deceitful to claim that the "conditional price" is what you will get the truck for? Probably yes however it gives you a clue about their flexibility on the deal. In the end, they want to sell trucks.

It's the car business, there's a reason for their reputation being either 1 level above or 1 level below politicians..

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Anybody in Louisiana should just be going to Mark Dodge. Seems like they are still giving their normal discounts (which aren't the BS need to be an astronaut who owns a farm and just bought a new holland tractor rebates)...they seem to be around 13% off msrp with just their dealer discount, before rebates or coupons. I bought from them being 1500 miles away because even back in March they were the closest dealer I could find that was worth doing business with.

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Just saw trucks for sale, 1 a fully loaded out Laramie with every option including HUD. When you click on view window sticker it is $68 and some change, They have it listed at $71 and some change... Wouldn't that fit into price gouging?
No CDJRAM dealer in Mandeville. Closest is Covington, LA.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We're not talking about gas, water and food after a hurricane here. It's the free market at work. Nobody was complaining when they were getting $10k off sticker before the chip shortage were they?

Tomo366

Reaction score
There is a 21 Ram 1500 Limited Eco Diesel here in DMV in Northern VA that I love Sticker is $76755 and it is now advertised at 81,255 $1000 more than yesterday

Users who are viewing this thread