5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a U-Turn

canative

Reaction score
For those of you that have a Crew Cab with the 6.4 bed. Have you noticed how bad the turning radius is in these? Man, it's terrible. Compared to my '06 Quad Cab, it sucks! Try to make a u-turn on a four lane road (two lanes going each way) and can't make it, have to reverse then go forward. The cars behind me get all upset and honk. Didn't realize a Crew Cab made that big a difference.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Must be the longer bed...my short bed can do it in 2.5 lanes (plus narrow median
I had a 2004 Chev ext cab that couldn't do it in 3 lanes and a wide median

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rudyyoko

Reaction score
It is a bit longer than a quad cab. I had a 2014 6.4 bed quad cab before I got my 2019 crew cab 6.4 bed. And yes, it does have a wider turn radius.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What am I missing?

2006 Quad Cab 4x4 LB, turning diameter = 53 ft
2019 Crew Cab 4x4 LB, turning diameter = 49 ft
* source Edmunds

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
What am I missing?

* source Edmunds
Maybe the definition of "long bed"?
Is the 6.7 really a long bed these days?

canative

Reaction score

Yes, for a Crew or Quad Cab. Short bed is 5.7, long bed is 6.4. If you want a long bed, as in 8 ' I think it's only available in a regular cab.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you that have a Crew Cab with the 6.4 bed. Have you noticed how bad the turning radius is in these? Man, it's terrible. Compared to my '06 Quad Cab, it sucks! Try to make a u-turn on a four lane road (two lanes going each way) and can't make it, have to reverse then go forward. The cars behind me get all upset and honk. Didn't realize a Crew Cab made that big a difference.
It’s not exactly awesome with a short bed crew cab either.

My old crew cab truck had a turning radius of just 37’...and that was with a 6’-6” bed! Then again, it did have Quadrasteer (4-wheel steering), so I was very spoiled.

silverbullet

Reaction score
Yea, turning radius sucks IMO. A lot. I live in the middle of nowhere and can't make the U-turn into my driveway without getting lucky or driving in the ditch. Not sure if it's the turning radius or the fact that the truck is a city block in length. Barely fits in my big *** garage as it does not like to share with the work bench.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Put in 2wd mode, stay on gear 1 or 2, give gas, full rudder, pull up the handbrake, now you made it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmao

I find it easier if turn traction control off, lock wheel 95 percent to the left, then punch it a bit (allowing clearance of course for the @ss swinging abruptly around) after 2 or 3 you will have the punch method down to be perfectly facing the other direction of travel from your starting point!!! lmao

Seriously I feel the pain, I pull up enough and do lock wheel 95 percent to the left while barely moving forward to allow the best radius turn--faster you get the wheel turned tighter you can get it. Though tight on the 6'4 bed has led to a few back ups and do it again in the intersections as it is always TALL curbs wanting to take my front end out at these intersections!!!

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That might be it, but I'm not sure. The FCA specsheet for 2019's calls the two bed options SB and LB and we know the 8 footer is not yet available.

PaGregSS

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing how it compares to my 2014 Silverado crew cab with the 6.5' bed. I'll find out in a couple of weeks. I'll report back if I think the Ram is better or worse.

RichInMN

Reaction score
At first I wanted a longer bed, so I took one to a Cub Foods parking lot for about 30 minutes... aside from struggling to get in and out of relatively wide parking places and aisles, the turning radius of over 50 feet was pretty shocking as the SUV I was driving was at 40. My short bed seems a lot better in that regard.

Draw007

Reaction score

I must be used to Ford turning radius’ because compared to a Screw SB my Ram 5.7 turns on a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaGregSS

Reaction score
I've now got over a thousand miles on my Ram and can now comment on the turn radius as compared to my 2014 Silverado crew cab/6.5' bed. I actually think the Ram is better in most situations. Its interesting considering the Ram wheelbase is half an inch longer. So, I'm happy with the turn radius.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What am I missing?

* source Edmunds
A 2006 Quad cab LB would be the 8 foot bed

A 2019 LB would be 6'4

A 2006 SB would be 6'4

A 2019 SB would be 5'7

I have a Crew Cab 8 foot bed...what is a turning radius again.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee to the 6.4ft bed and Crew Cab, I feel your pain. My Jeep could turn on a dime, this thing needs a football field!

Users who are viewing this thread