5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Main Seal Leak - the saga continues

XDBrad

Reaction score
I think if it’s taking 300 miles for a drip to hit the floor, you’re pretty safe driving it 1500 miles to let the dye seep out. A drip per 300 miles would take a lifetime to lose enough oil to do engine damage.

Not saying the problem shouldn’t be fixed because it absolutely should, just saying the 1500 mile test would not be a concern to me.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I would keep an eye om the bottom of your truck. As soon as you see oil leaking I would call the dealer. The reason I say this is because if too much oil dripped in that area, the torque converter could spread the oil around making it more difficult to trace the source. Up to you.

Boozygoose

Reaction score
For an update, guess we can safely rule out assembly oil.

It took about 200 miles this time, but my leak returned at the exact same place. Drips at the bolt by the inspection cover of rear main seal. And thanks to Amazon Prime and 17 bucks, I have my very own UV light. The drops light up. For comparison, I put a drop of standard oil with no tracer and a drop from my dipstick side by side with a drip from my leaking seal on the garage floor.

Not the best photo as I am juggling the camera and the UV flashlight under the car, but the brightest spot closest to the head of the bolt in the pic is a drip getting ready to hit me in the forehead.

So, back to service for the third time tomorrow per for the same problem in less than 900 total miles. Berniez, appreciate your advice above, and I agree so as soon as I saw, I set appt. Besides, I feel that going on a 1500 mile adventure drive with a truck dripping oil, and throwing a piece of cardboard under it every time I park, is not really part of the bargain when you buy a new vehicle. I have been in contact with Ram Cares and have received a case #, and will continue to post if for no other reason than if this happens to anyone else (as I am at least the second person on this forum with the exact same issue), others will know the steps I followed and how it shook out.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and advice of people that have posted.

Attachments

• IMG_20181231_123415.jpg
    IMG_20181231_123415.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

geotex1

Reaction score
I would gamble that IF they did really replace the RMS already, and ruled out transmission assembly lube (they do get carried away), good chance it is one of the oil gallery plugs. If there's dye in the oil, they'll be able to see it pulling the inspection cover and using a scope with UV light.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Crazy!!! I have that same leak at same place. At 500miles on it and then 1k. Took pics and sent to my sales man and service managers phones and was documented.They were in agreement with rear main. Asked to wait a few weeks for they are overwhelmed.

I know it sounds crazy. But if a dealer doesn’t have a Chrysler certified tech in engine repair segment or any segment of needed repair for that matter they may/will push it off as they may not get paid/reimbursement from fca for warranty repair(s). As you all know especially being 4x4 it’s going to be a big labor job. Not sure if this kind of leak would be under those stringent rules just throwing it out there.

Boozygoose

Reaction score
Crazy!!! I have that same leak at same place. At 500miles on it and then 1k. Took pics and sent to my sales man and service managers phones and was documented.They were in agreement with rear main. Asked to wait a few weeks for they are overwhelmed.

I know it sounds crazy. But if a dealer doesn’t have a Chrysler certified tech in engine repair segment or any segment of needed repair for that matter they may/will push it off as they may not get paid/reimbursement from fca for warranty repair(s). As you all know especially being 4x4 it’s going to be a big labor job. Not sure if this kind of leak would be under those stringent rules just throwing it out there.

I was told by my dealer that a "Level 3 tech" had to perform RMS work. In my case, I met him. Seemed a decent guy.

There is another member of the forum if you search rear main seal leak who had identical problem. My pics and his could be twins. His vehicle spent 12 days in shop for RMS if memory serves.

As I mentioned, I'll keep you posted on what I get out of this visit. If this is assembly lube, one it sure lights up with UV and two, they didn't spare it in my truck. Hopefully I can give you some info either by late Friday or next week.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn't there also a UV marker in the ZF transmission fluid? Are we sure that what we're looking at is engine oil?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Boozygoose , thanks man. Mines just the same, bolt and all. Imk, most of all it gets fixed up for ya to relaxe and enjoy it again. Post back on mine when it gets done if it’s before yours.

Bram2019

Reaction score
As Gman suggests I would be worried about possible trans leak. These trans come with dye in the oil. The engines do not. To diagnose this properly, the tech should have used a UV light when you first brought it in. If the UV lit up oil, it would be a trans leak. If not, then adding dye to the engine was the next step. If he never did that and just added dye to the engine, he will not know the source of the leak. At this point it does not matter. When he pulls the trans back he will see the source of the leak.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^i agree with your statement. For mine it looked like oil. 500miles & 1k on truck trans fluid wouldn’t look like that. External dirt or not would still be red in color. That is my eyes and truck

Bram2019

Reaction score
^^^i agree with your statement. For mine it looked like oil. 500miles & 1k on truck trans fluid wouldn’t look like that. External dirt or not would still be red in color. That is my eyes and truck
This fluid is not red in this trans. It is more like a golden light brown maybe toward green. If that matters

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ahh, my bad then. I stand corrected and doubled checked it is as described above thanks for clarifying that.(y)

Last edited:

Boozygoose

Reaction score
As Gman suggests I would be worried about possible trans leak. These trans come with dye in the oil. The engines do not. To diagnose this properly, the tech should have used a UV light when you first brought it in. If the UV lit up oil, it would be a trans leak. If not, then adding dye to the engine was the next step. If he never did that and just added dye to the engine, he will not know the source of the leak. At this point it does not matter. When he pulls the trans back he will see the source of the leak.

You are making it tough on me man! Lol. I have been following your advice on numerous threads and it is always rock solid. Wish I had known about trans fluid flourescing as I would have shined a UV light earlier.

Also, my first post when I saw, I assumed transmission leak and everyone told me nah, that's oil. Go figure. That said, if I compare the dipstick to the drip, they both react to the UV, but dipstick seems more green but I'm splitting hairs likely.

Dropping off for 3rd time for same leak tomorrow 8 AM, directly to and meeting with service mgr so appreciate all the info. Helps my Q&A with him. Will report back.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had no clue that the ZF Lifeguard fluid looked darker and was greenish in color, until someone explained it to us (and included a picture) in a conversation about the ZF 8-speed. I didn't have a clue as all previous iterations of trans fluid I've dealt with were red.

atflifeguard8-02.jpg

This forum is very educational, it just gets hard to follow sometimes when there are multiple threads about the same subject in multiple sub-forums.

Last edited:

RAMREB

Reaction score
I'm definitely watching this one to see the outcome. Just did an oil change on the truck today. I forget the exact odometer reading but just under 4,000 miles. Noticed the leak in the same inspection cover area. I don't know if the ZF trans oil has the same distinctive smell as ATF but with swiping my finger across the bell housing where the oil is leaking it smells like motor oil to me.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE: crawled under the truck today with UV light and investigate how leak is. Not to dealer yet and no dye in engine oil. F9646391-2DA7-4934-ADE8-9CDC43DF5367.jpeg 0E62196A-AA99-404B-B254-68F0DBCC1240.jpeg

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought somebody mentioned if the ZF was slightly over filled during install that it may weep until it reaches it's desired level. I had a 904 trans in my Dart before I switched to a 727 and I overfilled the 904 after a rebuild... it leaked for a minute on the highway and then never again... anyone confirm the ZF would do the same?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t heard about that, interested to find out. Hopefully someone will chime in on it.

Users who are viewing this thread