5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnaflow: Muffler vs Catback

Nlg4021

Reaction score
Not bad. I thought about plugging them, but was concerned with moisture sitting in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I know it's a possibility but I'd rather deal with that than the leaking noise.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
I did the same as 19 streak (14 inch Magnaflow, resonator delete) no drone on the highway, the only time you really notice it is when you’re pulling away from a stop. It sounds great without being overbearing.

kingkasc

Reaction score
Where are you located? I’m in NE TN and had my borla done for $60. It sounded great when installed, after about 1k miles it sounded even better.

The downside to a muffler swap vs catback is the resonators. They have weep holes and sound like an exhaust leak at idle standing behind the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please post a video of the borla! I had one on my 300c and loved it!

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
I know in the past all of my stock exhaust has been steel and rusted which is why I would put a catback on, but I thought I read somewhere that the exhaust on our 1500's was Stainless from the factory can any one advise. If it is then I am just going to do a muffler and have a shop cut out the resonators and weld in some new pipe and save a ton of money.

Last edited:

Volkster

Reaction score
You guys are killing me! I really want to add the 14" Magnaflow muffler now. I had a Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back on my last 6.2 GMC but it got a bit annoying at sustained cruising speed and sounded like crap when the MDS kicked in. This Magnaflow seems what I'm looking for....great sound when matting the pedal but close to stock sound when being gentle. Sounds like the Magnaflow #14239 along with welding the weep holes on the two OEM resonators is the golden ticket.

Volkster

Reaction score
Great news!! www.b2fabrications.com now has the 3 levels of "direct-fit" muffler choices available for our 2019's. The moderate level looks like they use the 14239 Magnaflow muffler, the aggressive level uses a small Pypes muffler and the "most aggressive" is just straight-piped! All welded on pipe sections are 304SS and includes all hardware. The moderate Magnaflow verision is only $260 shipped! This option is nice in case you want to put the OEM muffler back in which would only require one weld

Dredram

Reaction score
There's a guy on ebay selling magnaflow muff with piping ready to bolt in looks good

Volkster

Reaction score
Got a Maganaflow direct fit from B2 Fabrications ordered. Stay tuned! Again, I'm looking an increased volume/tone under acceleration but near stock at idle/cruise with zero drone. This particular set-up coming should do it. I also reachesd out to B2 Fab. even the exhaust hangers are stainless steel so I expect the quality/fit/finish to be stellar

Creamsicle

Reaction score
Got a Maganaflow direct fit from B2 Fabrications ordered. Stay tuned! Again, I'm looking an increased volume/tone under acceleration but near stock at idle/cruise with zero drone. This particular set-up coming should do it. I also reachesd out to B2 Fab. even the exhaust hangers are stainless steel so I expect the quality/fit/finish to be stellar

The part description indicates that no welding or cutting is required, but the install instructions indicate that you need to cut off the stock muffler.

What is right? I’m looking for a complete bolt on solution.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Creamsicle

Reaction score
The part description indicates that no welding or cutting is required, but the install instructions indicate that you need to cut off the stock muffler.

What is right? I’m looking for a complete bolt on solution.

Cheers

Sorry for the double post but I emailed B2 and, to their credit, they responded within minutes.

Their site description was incorrect and their direct fit systems do indeed require cutting out the OEM muffler. They indicated that my only option was a cat back from another manufacturer, so I just ordered up the Magnaflow 19429 that board members seem very positive about.

I’d buy from any company that responds so quickly on a Friday night and the B2 product seems like a steal of a deal if you don’t need a “return to 100% stock” option.

Cheers

Volkster

Reaction score
Installed my B2 Fabrications Magnaflow direct fit last night. First off, the quality/fit/finish is top notch. You do have to make one cut 1-1/4" back from body of OEM muffler. One small issue is the two suppplied 7/16" nuts/bolts did not come with washers so I added them because the two holes on their front flange is slotted to allow desired fit. My opinion on the sound is no drone with a mild to moderate change in sound as load/rpm's increase, but a good sound. For $260, it's by far the best deal for the money. Even if you went back to stock it only requires one connection to be welded which is ~$60 at any muffler shop. B2 Fabrications also offers a louder muffler version and a straight-piped version. The entire job on car ramps took less than an hour

Attachments

• B2 Fabrications Magnaflow.jpg
    B2 Fabrications Magnaflow.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 56

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good to know, but what type of washers did you need to install ?

Volkster

Reaction score
FYI- B2 Fabrications uses a 14" Magnaflow #11229 muffler. Its a 4"x 9" with a satin finish. It has the same sound as the Magnaflow #14239 (14" 5"x 8") that a lot of people on here are having welded in at muffler shops.

Users who are viewing this thread