5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnaflow: Muffler vs Catback

CrookedLetta

Reaction score
Does anyone have a video of just the Magnaflow Muffler instead of the full catback?

NHREBEL2

Reaction score
Does anyone have a video of just the Magnaflow Muffler instead of the full catback?

I can't find any video on just muffler replacements. Maybe that should tell me something but I bolted a Flowmaster on my last Rebel and liked the sound of it. Going with a Magnaflow this time. Trying an "18 and a "22 tomorrow. Will try to post vids of both.

NHREBEL2

Reaction score
I had a 14" Magnaflow Muffler installed yesterday. I've tried everything to get a short vid of the startup to upload. Even just an audio clip but I just can't get it to upload. Very frustrating, Sorry. All I have is my opinion to give.

I left the resonators on for now and just replaced the stock muffler. Its definately a different sound than the Flowmaster 40 on my last Rebel. I would say lower tone(deeper) and quieter on startup and idle. Though different, both sound good when accelerating. I would say the main differences besides tone is when decelerating and while cruising. The Magnaflow is almost silent, think stock, during both. This is great for the highway, there is zero drone. The FM had a bit of drone, which I got used to. I do miss the rumble when decelerating though, I like to slow down using the drivetrain and like to hear it.

As far as overall loudness, its hard to say. I haven't driven around with the windows down much, its winter here. And I haven't gotten much above 3k RPM's with only 350 miles on it. Time will tell.

I'll keep trying with the video.

Reactions: Vic

Brobee

Reaction score
Upload to youtube then just put the link to the video in a response.

And please share the Magnaflow part number for muffler only. Google only returns results for the cat-back system for the 2019's.

josepy121380

Reaction score
Whats the part # Sounds good. Boesch Built is making a bolt in kit for it as well now.

Brobee

Reaction score
Liking it more each day.
Now I'm seriously considering this option. Did the opposite side inlet/outlet match up so the installer didn't have to do too many bends or other mods?

NHREBEL2

Reaction score
Now I'm seriously considering this option. Did the opposite side inlet/outlet match up so the installer didn't have to do too many bends or other mods?
Its an offset/offset muffler. I watched them install and didn't notice any tube bending. Took 20 minutes.

Nlg4021

Reaction score
Here is a video of the 14" Magnaflow I had installed this morning. Same part number as NHREBEL2 had installed. Stock resonators are still in but I had the weep holes welded. No drone whatsoever and sounds great. Pretty mild and with the radio on you can't hear it in the cabin unless put your foot down.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Its an offset/offset muffler. I watched them install and didn't notice any tube bending. Took 20 minutes.
What did they charge you for the labor on install? Just looking to get ball park figures to see if it's worth it to just buy the mufflex version or save a few bucks and have a shop weld in the magnaflow.

Nlg4021

Reaction score
What did they charge you for the labor on install? Just looking to get ball park figures to see if it's worth it to just buy the mufflex version or save a few bucks and have a shop weld in the magnaflow.

Mine was $150 plus tax to have the muffler welded in.

Brobee

Reaction score
I should post this in the "What did you do..." section, but I ordered Magnaflow #14239 from Summit Racing today :)

Reactions: Vic

KRField

Reaction score
Mine was $150 plus tax to have the muffler welded in.

Where are you located? I’m in NE TN and had my borla done for $60. It sounded great when installed, after about 1k miles it sounded even better.

The downside to a muffler swap vs catback is the resonators. They have weep holes and sound like an exhaust leak at idle standing behind the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nlg4021

Reaction score
Where are you located? I’m in NE TN and had my borla done for $60. It sounded great when installed, after about 1k miles it sounded even better.

The downside to a muffler swap vs catback is the resonators. They have weep holes and sound like an exhaust leak at idle standing behind the truck.

That included the cost of the muffler too. I'm in south MS. I also had the holes on the resonators welded so no air leaks.

KRField

Reaction score
That included the cost of the muffler too. I'm in south MS. I also had the holes on the resonators welded so no air leaks.

Not bad. I thought about plugging them, but was concerned with moisture sitting in there.

Users who are viewing this thread