5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LUMBAR SUPPORT

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’d like to get some feedback from others. My truck is in the shop for service...and I have a new Grand Cherokee loaner. I noticed that the loaner’s lumbar support blows up like a football or actually more like a basketball. It has gets ridiculously filled with air which I like having a back issue. My Limited doesn’t really fill all that much so I asked the service manager to check it out while it’s in for service. The service manager said he checked other trucks on the lot and they are pretty much the same as mine. I find it odd that the Jeep gets so much more filled than my truck and can’t believe it’s just because they are different vehicles. I think mine isn’t working properly.

Curious to know how your lumbar support feels and how much it inflates. Again, the Jeep loaner I have inflated to the point where it is as big as a basketball. My truck not so much. Is this normal for our trucks or is mine defective?

Just trying to get some perspective.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do realize that two of the lumbar switches actually relocate where on your back the lumbar hits. Maybe you have it set too high on your back, or too low. Try inflating the lumbar to max pressure, then use the other switches to reposition the lumbars location in the seat. Maybe you'll find a spot that provides the support you want.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree OP. Wife’s van seems way better then mine.
To heli statement, I’ve thought I’ve tried that. Though I don’t have limited lvl. Maybe it’s different set up.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do realize that two of the lumbar switches actually relocate where on your back the lumbar hits. Maybe you have it set too high on your back, or too low. Try inflating the lumbar to max pressure, then use the other switches to reposition the lumbars location in the seat. Maybe you'll find a spot that provides the support you want.
Yes I’m aware of the setting. The Jeep is far superior in terms of how much it inflates. Even maxed out my truck provides little in the way of support. It just doesn’t inflate all that much.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
I've noticed this as well. I have lower back issues and keep the lumbar at max setting on about anything I drive. While less than I normally like, I've made a few road trips and been quite comfortable.

My bigger seat complaint is the width between the side bolsters, especially on the seat bottom. The seat just feels wide. Again, no issues on a long road trip, just a tad less than ideal.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife actually complains that she can feel it pushing on her back even when its completely deflated.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
My wife actually complains that she can feel it pushing on her back even when its completely deflated.
Same here. I run with zero lumbar on all my vehicles and tend to still feel it. Any amount of lumbar support is uncomfortable to my back. These poor seat designers have it rough.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. I run with zero lumbar on all my vehicles and tend to still feel it. Any amount of lumbar support is uncomfortable to my back. These poor seat designers have it rough.
I know everyone has different levels of sensitivity to the lumbar support thing but I'm really disappointed with my truck's support now that I've experienced the Jeep version.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I’d like to get some feedback from others. My truck is in the shop for service...and I have a new Grand Cherokee loaner. I noticed that the loaner’s lumbar support blows up like a football or actually more like a basketball. It has gets ridiculously filled with air which I like having a back issue. My Limited doesn’t really fill all that much so I asked the service manager to check it out while it’s in for service. The service manager said he checked other trucks on the lot and they are pretty much the same as mine. I find it odd that the Jeep gets so much more filled than my truck and can’t believe it’s just because they are different vehicles. I think mine isn’t working properly.

Curious to know how your lumbar support feels and how much it inflates. Again, the Jeep loaner I have inflated to the point where it is as big as a basketball. My truck not so much. Is this normal for our trucks or is mine defective?

Just trying to get some perspective.
I was just toying with my lumbar adjustment yesterday due to a sore back... although without measurements we will be just talking subjectively, I found the max adjustment protruding towards my back to be “average” compared to other car seats. I’m guessing yours is operating as designed since it sounds similar; it could be the design just doesn’t push as hard as others.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just toying with my lumbar adjustment yesterday due to a sore back... although without measurements we will be just talking subjectively, I found the max adjustment protruding towards my back to be “average” compared to other car seats. I’m guessing yours is operating as designed since it sounds similar; it could be the design just doesn’t push as hard as others.
Thanks for the info. Makes me feel better hearing that yours seems to be the same as mine. I guess the Jeep seat is just designed differently.

Users who are viewing this thread