5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low Oil Pressure at Idle

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to have the dealership change my 2019 Ram Laramie to full synthetic at 6k miles. My invoice shows 7 quarts of 5W20 synthetic. This is a 5.7 eTorque. Since I switched, my oil pressure at idle is inconsistent. At idle I’m seeing between 15 and 30. Once it briefly dropped to 0. After I start to accelerate, it’s back in the 50s. No check engine light. Is anyone else seeing the inconsistencies with synthetic? What oil pressure do you guys have at idle?

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I decided to have the dealership change my 2019 Ram Laramie to full synthetic at 6k miles. My invoice shows 7 quarts of 5W20 synthetic. This is a 5.7 eTorque. Since I switched, my oil pressure at idle is inconsistent. At idle I’m seeing between 15 and 30. Once it briefly dropped to 0. After I start to accelerate, it’s back in the 50s. No check engine light. Is anyone else seeing the inconsistencies with synthetic? What oil pressure do you guys have at idle?
I would check to see if you got oil in the engine!

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, Oil level is good. I’ve actually checked it twice just to make sure. I was second guessing myself.
That's good you got oil. I'm not sure why your trucks doing that maybe it's just the gauge I'd try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes or so let it all reset. You never know.

Dredram

Reaction score
Its a new truck with a warranty that wasnt cheap. 15psi at idle is not acceptable take it in and have it documented at the very least.

Nedbeir

Reaction score
My Sis just took her Chevy into her dealer and noticed something different sound with her little diesel. Checked the oil and it didn’t even read on the dipstick. This is why I’ve been changing my own oil for 24+ years.

TylerDayne

Reaction score
Did you find out what the problem was if so what was it I’m also dropping to 15psi at idle

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Modern oil pumps have variable output - at idle with no load, they dial it back to save fuel. While oil pressure certainly can't be too low, high pressure at hot idle isn't necessarily desirable, it costs fuel and can cause slightly higher oil consumption, and more "wear" of the oil itself. Theoretically, one could even have great oil pressure but not enough volume (flowrate). Engines require the proper flowrate at the proper pressure for any given load & engine speed in order to protect the engine. My 2020 Gen-3 Ecodiesel runs up to 60 PSI on a cold start, down to 20 PSI at hot idle. Here's more info: https://www.autoserviceworld.com/carsmagazine/1003794277-2/

redneck

Reaction score
i didnt know if dealers changed the thickness in other states with the temp changes like winter blend fuels. we dont see that here in south florida

Users who are viewing this thread