5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low mileage '21

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Found a very low mileage (10,000) 2021 Limited on a dealer lot that im interested in. Is there a way to find out why the mileage is so low.? Im imaging all kinds of problems to the point the owner just gave up on it.
I suppose i could just ask the dealer - they would never lie to me - right ?

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
I drive a 2021 Bighorn and I have 9500 miles.
It's my daily driver but I only drive about 20 miles round trip to work.
Throw in weekend trips with the wife - I don't like driving her car - and a couple of cross state trips and you end up with a low miles truck.
Doesn't mean it was problematic.
You could always get a Carfax too. They aren't perfect but they have value.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check the service history/car fax. Just because its low mileage doesn’t mean something was wrong with it especially nowadays many people either work from home or may have a company provided vehicle to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scottygolf

Reaction score
I agree with PurpleRT, I have less than 14k on my Limited. Home officed for years, and then with Covid, not meeting with clients, so low mileage on my truck.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Picked up my father in laws 2011 Honda Fit, January 2023, at the time he was 95 years old. It had 11,000+ miles on the odometer. It averaged less than 1,000 miles per year. The mileage would have been less if I didn't put 800 mile round trips for my son's college pick ups and drop offs. The trips helped run out the "old" gas.
A coworker made a nice score on a low mileage Ford Ranger in a private sale under similar circumstances.
If there is only one prior owner I would be less suspicious of the circumstances.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Simple answer could just be that the person didn’t drive it much.
Some people have multiple cars and drive short distances. This could have been owned by an ederly person, or only used infrequently for truck stuff and sat due to more economic or more comfortable options.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. There is only 1 owner and the carfax is super clean. Although i dont trust carfax reports entirely, as it takes all establishments to report their actions for it to be accurate, in this case anything done, except body shop repairs, should be warranty work by a dealer and therefore must be reported.
There are only 2 months left on the warranty, so ill be looking at purchasing an extended one immediately. Especially with that air suspension nearly 3 years old in Ohio.
Its not exactly what i want, but checks most of the boxes.
Ill go look at it.
Ive only really been looking at ordering a new one so havent paid much attention to what goes wrong with a 2021. I know to look for headliner stains from water leaks, from the 3rd brake light and/or window frame, - what else ?
Ill have to do my due diligence and search the site with this in mind.
Thanks again guys !

Davidbt

Reaction score
I picked up a 2021 Big Horn September of last year. It had 11,300 miles on it. From what I could tell from the car fax, it was dealer owned. I just had the second oil change since I've owned it and they had to replace the crank seal. Fortunately that was done under warranty. It's been a great truck.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Don’t base a ton of trust in carfax.
Ask me how many times I have been burned by “clean carfaxes” and found there was paint work done to a car that makes me question life the entire ownership of the car.
It’s good for most stuff, but specialty vehicles and sports cars, don’t trust it at all!
For a run of the mill truck and passenger car, it’s going to be mostly fine though.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Sounds like you've done your homework on what to look for. As long as everything checks out when you get there and there's no obvious signs of issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

For what it's worth, i'm the second owner of my 22 GT. I purchased it in May of this year with 1,600 miles on it. The previous owner had it for a year and two months and only put that many miles on it. I was skeptical at first, but everything checked out (clean carfax, clean service history, etc). I've put almost 12k on it since I bought it without a single issue.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take a look at the paint. Look for any mismatched panels, overspray, and check the gaps basically anything that might indicate a body repair has been made. Carfax is a great start even though not everything is “reported” but at least gives you a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of people stopped going to work during Covid and have continued going into their office a few times or less a week.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's funny that some assume the worst when a truck has low miles. I usually assume the opposite. I just sold my 2021 Laramie with 8,000 miles on it and it still has 1 year worth of the 3/36 warranty left. Before the 2021 Laramie, I bought two used trucks that were both 2 years old with less than 5,000 miles on them. When buying used, I am very patient so it can take months for me to find the right truck. You can tell a lot about a truck by examining the records and going over it thoroughly...talking to the PO is a bonus.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Went to look at it today. Its not certified, but they said they could do that (at a cost) I let that drop and might visit it later if i get that far. Big stains on the rear headliner, so it has one of the three reported leaks. This was the dealbreaker - there was nothing else wrong with it. It has the Indigo frost interior so the headliner could never be cleaned. Service dept is going to look at it.
Gotta say though - when you have a customer coming from out of town to look at a vehicle, and you know when they are coming, would it kill you to run it though the car wash at least. It looked like it had sat on the lot for months.
I got the impression they only cared about new sales, or more likely only have the personnel to deal with new sales. This one person looked like the only one dealing with used sales and its a good sized dealer.
I dunno - only about 16K more for a new one from MD or Koons and it would be setup the way I want. Used are always a compromise, For example this one had the full towing package including the huge mirrors that i dont want. It did not get the 33 gallon tank. Personally i think thats a must have.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I dunno - only about 16K more for a new one from MD or Koons and it would be setup the way I want. Used are always a compromise...

It's all a crap shoot, and there's no amount of thinking/analysis you can do up front that will change how they built it at the factory. Once it leaves the factory, it's just gonna be what it's gonna be. I bought my 2021 new and it's given me nothing but problems. Water leaking into the cab, the hood fills with water and sloshes like a water tank after a rain, it would turn itself off for no reason while driving (fixed with an update), sometimes the 12 inch screen stops working for no reason then fixes itself some time later, there's been no end to the problems and the local dealer sucks so badly that they won't even answer the phone in the service dept, I have to drive-up there and stand in front of their desk to get anyone to talk to me. I've had it for two years, it's been in the shop for over a month in total, and I can't even recall off the top of my head all the things that have failed on it.

It's a nice riding truck, it looks good, and the powertrain has given me no problems, but dang I have lost all love for this machine. When I bought it I thought that the e-torque system might be the thing that gave me problems, as it turns out the e-torque is fine, it's the simple stuff they can't get right.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is it a certified Ram used vehicle, if it's not ask the dealer why. Certified Ram vehicles come with pretty decent warranties.
LOL. Certified pre owned is only a 3 month 3k mile warranty.
Went to look at it today. Its not certified, but they said they could do that (at a cost) I let that drop and might visit it later if i get that far. Big stains on the rear headliner, so it has one of the three reported leaks. This was the dealbreaker - there was nothing else wrong with it.
Avoid that like the plague.
The owner got rid of it because the truck likely couldn't even start after it fried that pack back there and Ram refused to repair the damaged headliner so he dumped it.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went to look at it today. Its not certified, but they said they could do that (at a cost) I let that drop and might visit it later if i get that far. Big stains on the rear headliner, so it has one of the three reported leaks. This was the dealbreaker - there was nothing else wrong with it. It has the Indigo frost interior so the headliner could never be cleaned. Service dept is going to look at it.
Gotta say though - when you have a customer coming from out of town to look at a vehicle, and you know when they are coming, would it kill you to run it though the car wash at least. It looked like it had sat on the lot for months.
I got the impression they only cared about new sales, or more likely only have the personnel to deal with new sales. This one person looked like the only one dealing with used sales and its a good sized dealer.
I dunno - only about 16K more for a new one from MD or Koons and it would be setup the way I want. Used are always a compromise, For example this one had the full towing package including the huge mirrors that i dont want. It did not get the 33 gallon tank. Personally i think thats a must have.
16k, I'd just order a new one.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
LOL. Certified pre owned is only a 3 month 3k mile warranty.

Avoid that like the plague.
The owner got rid of it because the truck likely couldn't even start after it fried that pack back there and Ram refused to repair the damaged headliner so he dumped it.
So Ram HAS refused to replace damaged headliners ?
Dealer got back to me and they are saying the window WAS replaced at some point, so maybe RAM did deny the headliner. I got no answer, when i asked why it wasnt on the Carfax.
Im letting this one go - hassle factor is getting too high , and im sure they are starting to lie to me !

Users who are viewing this thread