5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low fuel indicator

Blackshirts

Reaction score
Anyway to change the indicator from 50 miles to empty to something like 15-20 miles? Thanks!

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
50 miles to empty is the first low fuel indicator.

The 2nd low fuel indicator is when the range drops from 10 miles to “Low”. At this point you only have approx 2 gallons left.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All of those indicators are last resorts. I use the fuel gauge as my indicator. Found that it creates peace of mind to keep the tank above the low fuel indicator then I don't have to worry about how far it will go.

Agreed.
I fuel up every Sunday, or when the needle shows 1/4 tank.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I notice this comes up often. I can not wait for the My Fuel Pump died threads in a year or so.

The reason the fuel guage and the fuel alerts are so generous...is because your fuel pump needs fuel to cool it.

And with as long as our tanks are...on a hill the fuel pump will be starved at low levels.

Oh man I can not wait to hear how this is RAMs fault in a few.

Blackshirts

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice to: Fill up every Sunday, use the gauge as the indicator, don't let the tank go under 1/4 tank EVER or my fuel pump will fail and that the moderator can't wait until I come back and blame RAM for a failed fuel pump because I let the tank go below 50 miles before refilling.

Didn't think a 46k$ truck would literally die if I let the tank go below 50 miles to empty.

All I asked was if there was a way to change the indicator light NOT for an education about how to keep the tank properly filled.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice to: Fill up every Sunday, use the gauge as the indicator, don't let the tank go under 1/4 tank EVER or my fuel pump will fail and that the moderator can't wait until I come back and blame RAM for a failed fuel pump because I let the tank go below 50 miles before refilling.

Didn't think a 46k$ truck would literally die if I let the tank go below 50 miles to empty.

All I asked was if there was a way to change the indicator light NOT for an education about how to keep the tank properly filled.

Glad my suggestion ranked #1.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You got your answer the 2nd post. The rest was discussion. This is a forum.

My post was pointed at the many times this question comes up. Not you.

The community of truck forums is full of the same question and when the advice is overlooked or dismissed...🍿

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score

Maybe an introduction over in the new member area would help guide this extremely helpful community in responding to your posts. Personally, I am here for an education. During my time on this forum I've learned a ton of things I didn't know that I didn't know.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL next question on this forum is going to be, "Do I have to use a specific blinker fluid for my Ram?" :ROFLMAO:

But really OP, there isn't a way to change the reading.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOL next question on this forum is going to be, "Do I have to use a specific blinker fluid for my Ram?" :ROFLMAO:

But really OP, there isn't a way to change the reading.
I can tell you the specific one you mentioned is not the one RAM recommends and that one should never be used anyways as there are many more expensive ones that work the same you should be using.

🤯

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It won't die at less than 1/4 tank, you're just slowly killing your fuel pump.

It has nothing to do with how much your truck costs. Current design is an in-tank pump regardless of model/options/cost, and that's for any vehicle (I don't know of any manufacturer that has a 'premium fuel system' with higher trim levels). An in-tank pump benefits from higher tank levels for 1) cooling of the unit (as devildodge mentioned) and 2) net positive suction head. The higher the level, the more weight (pressure) of fuel on the pump suction, the less work the pump has to do to move the fuel to the engine. Keeping at least 1/4 tank of gas ensures the fuel pump is covered during operation.

All I asked was if there was a way to change the indicator light...
There is a way. Got into your Body Control Module (BCM) and change this setting (from Jimmy07 on another thread):

Cluster: Fuel Tank 1 Calibration, LFW (Normally it is set at 8%, and that is the lowest setting. 23% is the highest setting, which sounds like what yours might be set at- if the low fuel light is truly coming on with 1/4 tank left)

You need a Security Gateway Bypass, an OBDII Bluetooth connector (ELM 327 compliant), and AlfaOBD software to do it.

Here's the original post (#639) if you want more info on how to do it: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/alpha-obd.11389/page-32#post-399823

Last edited:
U

User_3336

What exactly is your excuse for letting the fuel get so low in the truck? Like another poster said, what you paid for the truck is irrevalent.

Users who are viewing this thread