5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud noise and vibration from Ram

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m having the same problem on my 2021 ram 1500 had it a few months and this noise is weird I’m taking to the dealership in a few days to get it checked out
Hi suggsj12,
If you'd like any additional assistance alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Ram Cares

Motomark248

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram with just over 600 miles on it. I just experienced the low, but loud vibration sound that people are experiencing on this forum. It started while pulling out of a parking lot. As I drive down the road, it kept cycling in and out. You could feel the vibration from the sound. It felt like it was coming from under the car, maybe a tire sound, and it continued in and out every 6-10 seconds. I eventually stuck my head out the window to see if I could hear it outside of the truck, and it seemed to go away. I went into another store, came out and it stopped. Many, many reports on this forum. Anyone know what it is? I made a video of it...it is a lot lower in volume on the video than it actually is in the cab, but you can hear it go in and out.

I’m very nervous about what this is and why people are having this issue. Hopefully, someone from Ram who is monitoring this site will see these videos too.
I too am starting to get this same issue. Low speed loud hum like harmonics and vibrations. Happens when i speed up from a stop and coast to a stop. Dealer can't see my truck for a month. Seriously not happy with the dealer or this truck. Ive only had about a year and have 30k miles on it. Lost the camera and stereo a few months back. Thinking of leaving Dodge / Ram family. No support.

21hemi3.92

Reaction score
Not very happy. We have a '21 Laramie 1500 Hemi with under 4000miles that I loved until...
Today my wife pulled out of a parking lot and got the crap scared out of her by a sound that "filled the cabin". She said she thought a jake braking semi was making the noise (that she felt). She let off accelerator the sound lessened and realized it was our new truck. Speed was about 15mph, noise lessened after shifting (lower rpms). About 500' later she pulled up to a stop sign and had the foresight to ready a sound recording app which recorded the attached sound. The recorded sound (second occurrence) was not nearly as loud as the initial sound. I haven't personally heard it yet, but the recording reminds me of manual transmission gear grind, rumble strips, auto transmission knocked into park when moving.... Has anyone had similar issues that have been diagnosed?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Not very happy. We have a '21 Laramie 1500 Hemi with under 4000miles that I loved until...
Today my wife pulled out of a parking lot and got the crap scared out of her by a sound that "filled the cabin". She said she thought a jake braking semi was making the noise (that she felt). She let off accelerator the sound lessened and realized it was our new truck. Speed was about 15mph, noise lessened after shifting (lower rpms). About 500' later she pulled up to a stop sign and had the foresight to ready a sound recording app which recorded the attached sound. The recorded sound (second occurrence) was not nearly as loud as the initial sound. I haven't personally heard it yet, but the recording reminds me of manual transmission gear grind, rumble strips, auto transmission knocked into park when moving.... Has anyone had similar issues that have been diagnosed?
sound did not show up

and please tell us what kind of truck you have engine and model

and welcome to the forum.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Could be the active noise cancellation malfunctioning. Was there a lot of stuff in the back seat when this happened?

Jako

Reaction score
AS per post #25 by Scram. Load up the back seat with containers (or people) and see if that is when it occurs. The active noise cancellation (ANC) kicks in with the multi displacement system (MDS). MDS is when the 8 cyl hemi goes to 4 cyls. It happened to me at certain RPMS and a technical service bulletin (TBS) fixed the problem, however it took 2 tries.

Attachments

• Ram TSB 08-056-19 ANC MC-10168479-9999.pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 40

fitz7

Reaction score
I too am starting to get this same issue. Low speed loud hum like harmonics and vibrations. Happens when i speed up from a stop and coast to a stop. Dealer can't see my truck for a month. Seriously not happy with the dealer or this truck. Ive only had about a year and have 30k miles on it. Lost the camera and stereo a few months back. Thinking of leaving Dodge / Ram family. No support.
My rear diff cap fell off on a long distance drive at 47,000 km. I was stranded in a wind and rain storm for 2 days as power and internet was knocked out and could not make outbound calls from my phone or the town i was stranded in. Dodge tried to void warranty saying i must have taken the cap off but no one touched the cap as it was a warrantied truck and manual said check at 48,000 kms.

I had weird acceleration issues 2 hrs into my 16 hr drive. I went to a mechanic shop and spent the night in his lot to have it looked at in the morning just to be safe so i wouldn't get stranded in the middle of nowhere. Bec the truck was under warranty i told him to please call a dealership for authorization otherwise ill have to have it towed to a dealership. They authorized him to empty the diff fluid which was burned and test drive and send me on my way if i went to a dealership at the end of my deatination to have it looked at. The mechanic knew personally the mechanic at dodge who authorized the repair. Over 7 hrs period i crawled under my vehicle at each gas station to see if the diff was hot or leaking. No issues and cap was on and no noise while driving. Then suddenly 2 hrs later i hear a whining sound but im on a mountain with oncomming semis on icy roads so i pull over when safe to do so (about 2 min drive) i hear a bang and fluid leaking all over the back of my truck. Dodge towed it backwards from the direction i was headed by 3.5 hrs because to tow it where i was heading was another hour.... 2 months to fix..
Dodge dealership said it wasnt warrantied bec someone took off the diff cap they accused and said they called the other dealership and they have no record of them authorizing the mechanic to do the repair. They said i owed under 7k. On my dash in my truck though i had the mechanic receipt where i told him to write the date and time that dodge authorized the repair and to sign it so i had it for my records. Immediately they knew i could sue them and they warrantied the repair.

it took dodge 2 months to repair my truck. I pay to have it towed to me 5 hrs so i dont have to take time off work. I hear bad noise immediately When i picked it up at my local dealership where it was dropped off. I take it back 10 minutes later and the mechanic says its just cupped tires keep driving on it and bring it back in 7 days. In 3 days i drove 60 km total to work. Day 3 i hear clunking and the mechanic now agrees to test drive with me. He still says it is my cupped tires. I said no you will look at the rear diff and if i am wrong i will pay for the inspection. He agrees and the rear diff is blown again. 6 weeks more with no truck and he repairs it. I swear i still have sound. He said its my bald right winter tire and he wont look at it again until i get new tires.

I drive my 1 ton for 3 months until the snow melts and i can put my summer tires on the 1500 that has been having issues. The truck still made noise with perfectly fine summer tires but it is subtle. I am also noticing when the truck down shifts between gears when foot is releaed off the gas pedal is when i get the clunky yet still soft shifting. Its like the truck rpms are high as it down shifts then i hear the whirring sound between down shifts. Going from park to drive the engine sounds very loud as it does a sudden jolt forward in drive. To boot... i think i drove my truck 500km max since the 2nd rear diff repair and not only does it still make noise (but way quieter) my ac just went out at 500km later and is making a hissing noise under the dash when i push the ac button. I have a 2019 ram 1500 classic still under warranty for another year and will never buy another dodge.

Currently trying to sell my 1500 after the dealership repairs it. But i feel like they have neglected me every time i ask to have something looked at that they have caused the problem to get worse. Every yime i heard noise they told me to keep driving onnit (even after having a ram mechanic drive with me!) I am going to demand a new axle housing if my rear diff has gone a 3rd time. As i think the 1st dealership that failed to fix it caused scarring or damage to my axle so all new repairs will fail also. I bought the truck new to avoid repair issues like one would expect with older vehicles. But having this vehicke in rwpair shops for almost 4 months and another 2 sitting until i could put summer tires on to test is has cost me $1000 in insurance fees to have it not being used in all those months. I am selling both my rams to buy a new dually and it will not be a dodge ram. They lost a cusyomer for life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/