5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud humming noise and vibration

RDB

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 RAM 1500 in May 2020. I noticed a loud humming noise and vibration two months after purchase. The noise is a pulsating sound so loud its almost deafening, and the doors vibrate. I also have to add this happen intermittingly. Once the truck is turned off it won't happen again for a few weeks. I called different RAM dealers and none of them had heard about it. Finally when it happened again I drove it straight to the dealer and made them test drive it. They agreed the noise is there but they didn't know what was causing it, so they referred it to the field engineer. That was in November 2020

Yesterday I finally get a call back from the dealer. They said that Chrysler sent them a bulletin about this issue and that it is normal. The noise comes from the Noise Cancellation Module and happens intermittingly, and there is nothing they will do about it. Since it's not a safety issue there isn't anything they can do about it.

I have read several threads on here about this issue and nobody has a resolution. If I'd known about it, I would have never bought the truck. I'm now considering getting rid of it, because its to loud when it happens. Hope this helps others with the same issue.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a 2019 RAM 1500 in May 2020. I noticed a loud humming noise and vibration two months after purchase. The noise is a pulsating sound so loud its almost deafening, and the doors vibrate. I also have to add this happen intermittingly. Once the truck is turned off it won't happen again for a few weeks. I called different RAM dealers and none of them had heard about it. Finally when it happened again I drove it straight to the dealer and made them test drive it. They agreed the noise is there but they didn't know what was causing it, so they referred it to the field engineer. That was in November 2020

Yesterday I finally get a call back from the dealer. They said that Chrysler sent them a bulletin about this issue and that it is normal. The noise comes from the Noise Cancellation Module and happens intermittingly, and there is nothing they will do about it. Since it's not a safety issue there isn't anything they can do about it.

I have read several threads on here about this issue and nobody has a resolution. If I'd known about it, I would have never bought the truck. I'm now considering getting rid of it, because its to loud when it happens. Hope this helps others with the same issue.
Curious, does this noise happen all the time, even while stopped or only when cruising along?

RDB

Reaction score
Curious, does this noise happen all the time, even while stopped or only when cruising along?
The noise happens as soon as it starts up. Keeps happening while driving and stopping. It won't go away until you turn off the engine let it sit, then restart it.

RDB

Reaction score
I called the dealer to see if an update to the module would help. They said there is nothing that could be done since Chrysler has said this is a normal function of the Noise Cancellation Module.
If I had known about it before hand, I would have never bought it.

I'll be checking with another dealer to see if they say the same thing.

bmoney5813

Reaction score

Sounds like the ANC system. Search the forums as there is a TSB for it. I had this happen in the 19 that I had. The dealer flash fixed it.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Attached is a Technical Service Bulletin for the ANC. See if this fits your condition. Do not rely on your service advisor. I was told by my service advisor that I did not have an ANC and it was even put on my service ticket. Forwarded my build sheet which showed my ANC along with the TSB. The TSB solved my issues. If you do a search you will find a long thread on this topic. I don't find the search engine on the forum to work well for me. Use google and add 5th gen forum along with what you are searching for. Best of luck.

Attachments

• Ram TSB 08-056-19 ANC MC-10168479-9999.pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 162

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
x2 above and avoid Priuses in the way...

Attachments

• 294A9D19-41C7-4228-BDB7-3C2ECDF8E71A.jpeg
    294A9D19-41C7-4228-BDB7-3C2ECDF8E71A.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 43

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Well, I’m confused now lol. I thought I had ANC on my 2020 Ram because of the small speaker / mic grills in the headliner but I just looked at my window sticker and didn’t see it listed. Should it be listed or could it have been standard at the time?

Porkroll

Reaction score
I have the same thing happen in my ‘19. It usually happens when the trans is downshifting. But it’s not all of the time. The dealer can’t find the problem. It drives my wife crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Reaction score
There are a couple homebrew solutions and also a bypass cable that can be purchased to disable the ANC

Jako

Reaction score
Well, I’m confused now lol. I thought I had ANC on my 2020 Ram because of the small speaker / mic grills in the headliner but I just looked at my window sticker and didn’t see it listed. Should it be listed or could it have been standard at the time?
It will not be on your window sticker but it will be on your build sheet.

Must enter capital letters for your vin.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
There are a couple of things effed up about this.
First is them telling you it's normal. This is total BS. If it was normal all the trucks with this feature would do this. THEY DON'T, mine included.
Second is how the eff is it that the dealer or FCA who they consulted with doesn't know about the TSB?

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
It will not be on your window sticker but it will be on your build sheet.

Must enter capital letters for your vin.

Thanks for the link. I did see Active Noise Control system listed. I wonder why it’s on some window stickers and not on others.

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks for the like.
Dealership told me I did not have ANC, I was speechless and than bit my tongue rather than express my thoughts. Sent them my build sheet to clarify the situation for them. They actually put it on my service ticket - No ANC. I gave them the TSB for the ANC also.

You need to go armed with information when getting "serviced".
Thank God for the 5th Gen Forum.

Users who are viewing this thread