5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud clunk on startup

Jim42242

Reaction score
For everyone hearing the loud clunk on startup, are they all on 4x4 models only, or are both 2 and 4wd having the same issue? Mines 4x4 and does it. Dealer says it’s normal because 2 other trucks in the lot do it.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For everyone hearing the loud clunk on startup, are they all on 4x4 models only, or are both 2 and 4wd having the same issue? Mines 4x4 and does it. Dealer says it’s normal because 2 other trucks in the lot do it.
4x4 here. Mine hasn't had the clunk for a very long time....it used to do it every day. Press the brake pedal when starting and release it as soon as you press the start button and the clunk will never happen again. The clunk happens when you hold the brake in while the starter is engaged.

RAMpage

Reaction score
4x4 here. Mine hasn't had the clunk for a very long time....it used to do it every day. Press the brake pedal when starting and release it as soon as you press the start button and the clunk will never happen again. The clunk happens when you hold the brake in while the starter is engaged.

That’s an odd one. I just noticed this clunk myself since I noticed a front end clunk the other day. This thing clunks more than my ‘53 Chev pickup! I’ll try that brake trick next time.

Kaz Man

Reaction score
Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4, 4300 miles - fresh from the dealership correcting the leaking 3rd brake light....

To me it sounds like a baffle or something loose in the exhaust system. It's a horrid sound and very metal/mechanical. It happens less frequently than others have stated in some of these posts. Excited to bring it BACK to the dealership after having it back for 3 weeks.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4, 4300 miles - fresh from the dealership correcting the leaking 3rd brake light....

To me it sounds like a baffle or something loose in the exhaust system. It's a horrid sound and very metal/mechanical. It happens less frequently than others have stated in some of these posts. Excited to bring it BACK to the dealership after having it back for 3 weeks.

Hi @Kaz Man - I am very sorry to hear of the trouble that has been associated with your ownership experience. Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message if you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer on this. I am more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf if needed.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online