5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud Clunk in Rear of the truck

Nickv1214

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 and I’ve been noticing a very loud clunk coming from the rear of the truck . I leave my tow hitch in and I was thinking that was the problem ,just the hitch bouncing around making the noise . I took the hitch off today and over a aggressive bump it makes that identical sound you hear from the tow hitch bouncing around . Anybody had any issue like this ? Definitely coming from the rear of the truck and it sounds identical to a tow hitch bouncing around .

Nickv1214

Reaction score
When does it happen?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It happens whenever I hit a pretty aggressive pot hole/ bump in the road . The noise is extremely loud can hear it with the windows down or up doesn’t matter . Sounds exactly like a tow hitch bouncing .

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Update spare tire was a little loose I tightened it up went for a ride , making same exact noise almost sounds identical to a tow hitch bouncing around

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Exhaust, tailgate, brakes? There isn't too much back there
Edit: loose suspension bolts? Has happened before on a few trucks here

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Exhaust, tailgate, brakes? There isn't too much back there
Edit: loose suspension bolts? Has happened before on a few trucks here
Just checked the exhaust , everything is good , checked the rear bumper and tailgate everything is tight . Working on all suspension parts now hopefully I find something loose because it is annoying as ever .

Scram1500

Reaction score
Lateral axel play (mine has some but not excessive) loose bed bolts?

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Lateral axel play (mine has some but not excessive) loose bed bolts?
Called the quits for today I’ll be back at it tomorrow after work . Didn’t check the bed bolts I’ll try that next .

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Called the quits for today I’ll be back at it tomorrow after work . Didn’t check the bed bolts I’ll try that next .
My truck has a similar noise over bumps but I always thought it was a normal truck noise, but this is my first truck.

Nickv1214

Reaction score
My truck has a similar noise over bumps but I always thought it was a normal truck noise, but this is my first truck.
No it definitely isn’t normal what I’m hearing , I’ll be back under it after work to try and figure it out

RamCares

Reaction score
Update spare tire was a little loose I tightened it up went for a ride , making same exact noise almost sounds identical to a tow hitch bouncing around

Hi @Nickv1214 - If you have to address this with your dealer, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. I would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager so that both you and your dealer have an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not working with your dealership on this issue? I'd at least give them an attempt at figuring out the problem as long as it's something that is repeatable, which sounds like is the case.

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Not working with your dealership on this issue? I'd at least give them an attempt at figuring out the problem as long as it's something that is repeatable, which sounds like is the case.
I figured out the noise . I Have Rear Air lift 1000Hd helper bags and the pucks that sit on top of the bag are making the noise bouncing up and down .

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I figured out the noise . I Have Rear Air lift 1000Hd helper bags and the pucks that sit on top of the bag are making the noise bouncing up and down .
Hahaha...well disregard my advice. I didn't know about the helper bags, but I see you have them in your sig. Dealer probably would have charged you a diagnosis fee unless they installed them. Glad you figured your problem out!

jzinckgra

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 and have the same sound as the OP had when going over bumps. My clunk comes from the right rear. I do not have air suspension. Any ideas on what else to look at? I've an oil change/tire rotation coming up , but wanted to see if I could figure it out

Users who are viewing this thread