5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost texting going from Iphone to Android

yellowboy

Reaction score
I just switched fron an Iphone to an Android (Galaxy s10e) and can no longer respond to texts on the truck screen. It only allows me to use one of the pre set answers. Any way to change this ??

Kidder

Reaction score
You must have been using Apple Car Play before. You need to use Android Auto now. Uconnect only has the canned responses.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Other way around. He has Android now. Plug it in and use Android Auto. Google will send any message you dictate.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, with an iPhone, CarPlay is automatic (I believe) when you plug it in. With Android you will have to download the Android Auto app to your new phone first, then plug it in and go thru a couple steps to set it up on your phone before it's ready to go. After that it's automatic whenever you plug it into your truck.

Last edited:

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Mine only works when plugged in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

yellowboy

Reaction score
OK so I need an app to do this ? It does not send a return text message now either plugged in or not plugged in. My iphone did it either way, I just talked, she repeated it and said "do you want to send this ?"

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK so I need an app to do this ? It does not send a return text message now either plugged in or not plugged in. My iphone did it either way, I just talked, she repeated it and said "do you want to send this ?"
Yes. See my post #5 above.

67GeeTeeX

Reaction score
I had to download google message app to get mine to work properly. The Samsung message app, on my phone was not compatible

yellowboy

Reaction score
I did a google app but still no go plugged in or not. I get " say a pre defined message or say list to see the list ........ Called Ram Care they are clueless.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you pressing the VR button on the steering wheel to send a message? If so, you can't just tap the button, you have to hold it for a sec.

Just tapping it uses the truck's Uconnect system to reply (limited canned choices).
20200305_160257.jpg
Holding it for a sec gets Google on the line (when plugged in) and you'll see this instead-
20200305_160325.jpg
Then you can ask it to "Text Grandma Mobile" or whatever and it'll say "Sure. What's the message?".
Also, you need the Android Auto app installed on your phone. Without that, it won't work.
20200525_125721.jpg

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just switched fron an Iphone to an Android (Galaxy s10e) and can no longer respond to texts on the truck screen. It only allows me to use one of the pre set answers. Any way to change this ??
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

Kidder

Reaction score
Thanks piening - still no go even with the same displays I'll play with it some more today
Make sure you're using the factory cord and not an aftermarket. For my Samsung Note 8, it only likes factory Samsung cords.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Thanks on the cord ---I HAVE been using an aftermarket --and Ramcares thanks I will contact you if I can't figure it out.

magic280z

Reaction score
I've only gotten android to work with android auto cable connected. One of my biggest complaints about Android is it's over reliance on Android auto and not basic Bluetooth hands free integration. Uconnect also messes with this in not supporting Android as well as iPhone or paying for Uconnect. Cell phones do the same thing oems need to quit paying developers for custom instantly out of date solutions and just do better cell phone integration.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

_StangPGH

Reaction score
The new version of Uconnect will support wireless Android auto but sadly it won't be compatible with the current hardware. There's a thread somewhere here on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Does your phone have Android Auto? If not, you have to download it. My S9+ came with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread