5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost my 4WD now GRINDING!

BarryC

Reaction score
Good Morning,

May I ask for some help, Please!

I have a 2022 RAM 1500 Big Horn and was plowing when I lost my 4WD and NOW, she's "grinding". It's obviously under warranty BUT wondering IF its a fairly easy fix because I'm not around the corner from the dealer.

Thanks Very Much & Have a Great Day!!
333073467_917088936083979_2042875061296236556_n.jpg

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does it make the grounding sound all of the time, i.e. 4 high, 4 low, 4 Auto and in 2wd?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where you in 4-hi or 4-low while plowing? Hopefully not 4-auto.

I'd say either the front differential broke, or the clutches in transfer case

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will guess either the front drive shaft or front axle shaft broke.

BarryC

Reaction score
I was in 4WD and pushing back snow and then couldn't back out THEN I tried 4W Low that's when I started hearing the grinding. I was going fairly easy, I know better not to smash into a mound of frozen snow.

BarryC

Reaction score
Where you in 4-hi or 4-low while plowing? Hopefully not 4-auto.

I'd say either the front differential broke, or the clutches in transfer case
I was in 4WD, not 4wheel AUTO

BarryC

Reaction score
Just to be clearer, I was trying to get the plow "unstuck" of the bank and attempting to rock back and forth, that's when all hell broke loses, lol..
I was in 4WD LOW when I first started hearing the grinding.

HemiDude

Reaction score
It does sound like something is broken. However, I would suggest just checking up underneath the front end and making sure there’s not some ice packed around any shaft, joints, or actuators. It probably wouldn’t make a difference but it’s free to check.

BarryC

Reaction score
Just to be clearer, I was trying to get the plow "unstuck" attempting to rock back and forth, that's when all hell broke loses, lol..
I was in 4WD LOW when I first started hearing the grinding.
It does sound like something is broken. However, I would suggest just checking up underneath the front end and making sure there’s not some ice packed around any shaft, joints, or actuators. It probably wouldn’t make a difference but it’s free to check.
Will do!
Ty!

6of36

Reaction score
You may be screwed. 1500s are not designed to plow with. Not sure, because it has been a few years, and may have changed, but attaching a plow used to instantly void warranty. It was in the owners manual. They don't offer a tow package until 2500s.

BarryC

Reaction score
My Truck has a SnowPrep package so “they’re” screwed.

BarryC

Reaction score
Does it make the grounding sound all of the time, i.e. 4 high, 4 low, 4 Auto and in 2wd?
Hello,
So, The “grinding” is in ALL gears, including 2WD.
Not sure what that means?
Ty!!

6of36

Reaction score
My Truck has a SnowPrep package so “they’re” screwed.
I see that it was available in 22. It's not anymore. You should be covered. I recall seeing a plow voided warranty, but that was probably my 4th gen.

Wwwpin0

Reaction score
There will be no problem with warranty, plow package or not, the plow package doesn’t add to anything beefier in the running gear, just a bigger alternator, and power Windows and rear sliding glass Which most trucks have. The running gear on the 1500 is pretty hardy I would be suprised it piled up, but with the additional weight on the front end you have mostly likely taken the transfer case out, plows add a lot of weight and gears mesh best in one direction, spinning the wheels in reverse or pulling in reverse is never a good idea. You may want to try putting the transfer case in neutral and reselecting high or low just to see if it is not completely locked in. The proper sequence is in the manual.

BarryC

Reaction score
I just found this in my driveway where I lost my 4WD.
Can someone tell me what it is?
Ty!!
EE93FA68-6F4D-4F5F-A238-C93ABE466667.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread