5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loose driver’s side mirror

fudpucker

Reaction score
The driver’s side rear view mirror is loose and shakes at highway speeds. I can take it to the dealer under warranty but wouldn’t mind fixing myself if easy. It is not loose at the door but where the two pieces join. How do I access? What is the little access panel in the bottom of the assembly? Looks like a push tab but not sure if this is where the bolt/nut is located so it can be tightened. Anyone know?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it a power fold or manual fold mirror? Mine was loose when the power fold started to go out, had to get it replaced by the dealer under warrenty.

fudpucker

Reaction score
OK, here's what I was told by the dealer this morning:
There is a TSB on this. Just about all the Rams with electrical folding mirrors have this problem. The problem is an internal tension wire that folds and unfolds the mirror. The "fix" is to fold and unfold the mirrors 5 times in a row using the switch. This supposedly resets the tension and corrects the shake. This may or may not work and the dealer suggested simply folding the mirrors every time you park might also help.
The small access panel under the mirror is not for tightening the internals. Don't bother, there is nothing to tighten. Should you order a replacement mirror.....it will do the same thing.
You might try looking at the TSB for more information. I didn't get the number.
I asked if "I patted my head and rubbed my stomach at the same time, would that help?" They were not amused.

jatkinson8755

Reaction score
probably broken plastic internal gears. the thread to address this is here

Glenn54

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the TSB works. If the folding the mirror in and out several times doesn't work, will the dealer replace the mirror? My 2019 Laramie is out of warranty, about 42,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread