5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

looks like ram adjusted the tow rating for the 1500 trucks

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
just found out that the heavy duty rams lost a lot of tow ratings.
so I looked up my 1500
this one from when I took delivery in jan 2022
2022 1500 our truck pay load in 2022.jpg

this one on the ram site in feb 2023
2022 1500 our truck pay load in 2023.jpg

this video has more info

but ram is not saying anything

ram towing chart for vin here

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
7MZYBRWHFFBVPF2UFOLIJUPQN4.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
just found out that the heavy duty rams lost a lot of tow ratings.
so I looked up my 1500
this one from when I took delivery in jan 2022
View attachment 150692

this one on the ram site in feb 2023
View attachment 150693

this video has more info

but ram is not saying anything

ram towing chart for vin here

Yet...

1.5 days to respond before publishing the video isn't exactly "not saying anything."

Best guess is the original numbers were incorrectly calculated.

Mostly affecting 2500 diesel trucks but mine went from 25017 to 23730.

Thing is, very few of these trucks could hit anywhere near the trailer tow ratings before running out of payload/GVWR. You just can't run that low pin weight (gooseneck/5th wheel) and get to those high trailer weights.

Additionally, those tow ratings are published based on SAE J2807 tests which are start/stop loads at grade and once you option up a truck, going to drop significantly due to max GCWR and/or available payload.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’ll be alright if your pushing it that close when 127lb is going to put you over, you’ve either need to pack less or need a bigger or lower optioned truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
It’ll be alright if your pushing it that close when 127lb is going to put you over, you’ve either need to pack less or need a bigger or lower optioned truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
like i said in post 3 i do not care

not a big deal for me
thought readers would like to know

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I haven't lost a thing... I use the pdf/chart from Ram for my trim/4x4/3.21. Then take the GCWR - curb weight and that's what I can tow (max). My personal limit for any half ton these days is 8000 anyway, but we won't go there.

The website has always had issues. One day it says one thing the next day it says another. I always use the pdf.

that is a 2020 chart

silver billet

Reaction score
that is a 2020 chart

The 2019 is harder to read for some reason so I linked the 2020 above, here is the 2019: https://www.ramtrucks.com/content/dam/fca-brands/na/ramtrucks/en_us/towing/2019_DT_J1_Trailer Tow Official Report_OFFICIAL_A_2018-1-31.pdf

I have a better version for 2019 downloaded to my computer but not sure it makes much difference from year to year (haven't checked though).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that nobody lost 127 pounds. There has to be an official cutoff at some point so technically the OP might have officially lost that, but for GCWR it doesn't matter at all. Payload or RAWR is much more important, every 100 pounds lost is much more of a problem.

If we're towing travel trailers, we would all reach max payload well before GCWR. We didn't lose anything here.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 2019 is harder to read for some reason so I linked the 2020 above, here is the 2019: https://www.ramtrucks.com/content/dam/fca-brands/na/ramtrucks/en_us/towing/2019_DT_J1_Trailer Tow Official Report_OFFICIAL_A_2018-1-31.pdf

I have a better version for 2019 downloaded to my computer but not sure it makes much difference from year to year (haven't checked though).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that nobody lost 127 pounds. There has to be an official cutoff at some point so technically the OP might have officially lost that, but for GCWR it doesn't matter at all. Payload or RAWR is much more important, every 100 pounds lost is much more of a problem.

If we're towing travel trailers, we would all reach max payload well before GCWR. We didn't lose anything here.

Not just TT, it's nearly impossible to reach max tow on a GN or 5th wheel before running out of payload or GAWR. You just can't safely tow with that little pin weight that would let you reach the tow rating.

Loudram

Reaction score
I think I lost a little too but for me personally, is not a big deal but someone may try and start a class action. You have to figure that's coming.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I want so bad to weigh in on these on all the sites I frequent. But, I swore to myself...I was done with anything that involves the word payload.
I decided to join the conversation at HDRAMS.

But, as I posted my question, I did not make it far enough to see the wrong info and arguing over terminology...haha

The internet is such a fun place. Going back into my safe place ...hahaha

CObiomedtech

Reaction score
Looks like Ram removed the payload/towing link by VIN as it doesn't come up for me.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My fully loaded limited is still insanely payload restricted so the tow rating doesn’t mean much to me. I think my payload max is around 1050 pounds. I’m 270, wife is…er not zero (sorry hun) once we get in, I have a 6’4” bed that legally can haul about 8 bags of Quickrete before I’m over payload.

With the air suspension, I have hauled two 600 pound motorcycles in the bed + us + luggage and the limited air suspension doesn’t sag at all.

This photo is certainly not legal but we did 4000 miles with 670 (my bike), 550 (wife’s bike) and towing 1000 pound cruiser (tongue weight around 200) and MPGs dropped from 27-29 to 21 and near zero squat. So legally yeah I’m screwed but the trucks are stout.

Z7pk5L0.jpg

BsWKxeD.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread